1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gas prices???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow your complaining about 3.5 gears i have 4.5 gears in my 64 f250 4x4. i thought i was doing good planing to switch to 4.11s then agian gas is still below 2.80 a gollon here

Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow your complaining about 3.5 gears i have 4.5 gears in my 64 f250 4x4. i thought i was doing good planing to switch to 4.11s then agian gas is still below 2.80 a gollon here

Old 05-05-2007, 07:50 PM
TBucketJack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Colonel for that information. I will look into that Holley carb.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
Red face

Athens, GA. Regular unleaded is right at $2.95/gal. Now, the funny thing is with my 302 with Edlebrock performer intake and carb (600 cfm) and C4 auto, rear end is under 3:1 ( a little tough off the line) I'm getting around 23miles/gal on the highway.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 PM
50f1wrench
New User
Talking gas milage/cost???

Hey! My old 50F1 gets 5-8mpg. But, that's because a 514cid, 622hp is runnin up front. Nuff said. P.S. $3.20 per for 91 octane.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 50f1wrench
Hey! My old 50F1 gets 5-8mpg. But, that's because a 514cid, 622hp is runnin up front.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM
rodbuildingfool
Freshman User
my 51 consumes no gas at all. It doesnt have a motor yet! 2.89 for now im going with fuel injected 5.0 anyone got one in there truck? hows your milleage???

Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 AM
56Fred
Junior User
Guys,
There is an e-mail going around at this moment. It is being sent out from anyone with an e-mail address to all their contacts. I strongly agree that we are being robbed and raped by the gas companies. I think it's B.S. what they are doing to us. I copied the e-mail and pasted just as I received it. Here it is guys and gals:

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Body: Don't pump gas on May 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out"
conducted nationwide in
protest of gas prices.

Gasoline prices
dropped 30 cents a gallon
overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to
not go to a gas station in
protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over
$3.00 a gallon in most
places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members
currently on the internet network,
and the average car takes about 30 to 50
dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the
15th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION)
out of the oil companys
pockets
for just one day, so please do not go to the
gas station on May 15th and
lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern
oil industry for at least
one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you
wouldnt) resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas
on May 15th"

Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Post My Simple Point of View

I am sure someone will educate me on how my simple point of view is wrong and how I see the big picture. It is all about supply and demand. I don't like gas prices being high any more then the next person. I cut my gas prices in half by getting a vehicle that gets double the gas mileage of my last one. There are two things that need to happen.
  1. We need to find an alternative to dinosaur fuel to lower the prices. This will create competition for the gas companies, in turn they will lower prices to keep more of the market share. I have seen this over and over again in manufacturing companies. I have been working for a manufacturing for the past 10 years and have seen this repeat many times. Currently what is the gas companies incentive to make there product cheaper? If the world will buy all they want to sell at the current price. Heck if I owned a company and you were buying all I wanted to sell, I would raise the price.
  2. We also need to have vehicles that get better MPG so we use less fuel. Coupled with the alternative fuel from above you are starting to really cut into the gas companies bottom line. The companies will have to sell the fuel at a lower price to stay in business.
  3. Boycotting for a single day does nothing. You keep your $2.3 billion today and I get it tommorrow nothing accomplished I still have your money. Heck keep it for a week I still have you money at the end of the week. Now if I spend my money on a cheaper alternative and use less fuel, gas compnaies will have to pay attention to stay in business.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 AM
1949fordf3
Senior User
I'm planning on taking the truck out from its' winter rest this week. First trip is to the bank to get a loan for gas money. Then over to the station to get Held Up. Won't be going to far this summer.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would also help if bush would get his priorities straight , but he's an oil man so that ain't gonna happen . anyone else here remember what jimmy carter did ? he told the oil rapists you can make this much then after that i'm taxing the he-- out of your profits !! he may not have been the most enigmatic president but he did think about those who put him in office !!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
Gasoline

Even worse than the price of gasoline at the pump, is the fact that we are being held hostage over energy by the Middle East. Think about all the stupid things this country has to do to assure a steady supply of gasoline. I read somewhere that if you factor in all the "hidden" costs of gasoline(our current foreign policy) it's about $8 a gallon. Also don't forget the energy companies really clean up because of the increased value of each barrel of oil they take out of the ground in this country. It costs them the same to get it out, but they can charge the "world price", which equates to about $40 profit per barrel.
Bring on bio-fuel, ethanol, diesel, we have absolutely no leadership in our elected officials to do anything about this crisis. Ah, crap, don't get me started.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm still toying with the idea of compressed air for my lawn mower. Air pump pulley driven on my briggs to push more air into the cylinders. I may lose 10 hp(from 18), but it would save me about $20.00 a week in gas.

Rumor has it, Canada has found untapped potential in their ground/beach? Problem is finding a way to extract it. Am I right about this? Cuz anything to alleviate the supply for our demande is what we need...IMO.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
Canada has the world's largest deposits of "shale oil"

Old 05-06-2007, 09:18 PM
rodbuildingfool
Freshman User
well a couple of points here. Its not just OPEC, the U.S. Goverment and oil companies. Its also our wonderful friends in the EPA who have made regulation so tight on the building of new refrinerys that its impossible to build one to expensive even for the oil compaines now the could build somewhere in a third world country but not having any security over the facility is not going to happen.

Most of the refireneys we got now are producing 125 to 200% capacity trying to keep up and when we lose one like in Katrina it hurts bad.

Also the car companies are in bed with oil comapnies. I will use ford for example, now ford claims to be trying to be eco frinedly, however as soon as biodiesel became a strong alternative to regualr diesel ford killed the 7.3 in favor of the 6.0, unknown to ford though some pepole were able modify the 6.0 to run bio but this new engine doesnt even like running diesel it has to have low sulfur and if you put bio in it. Its gone over with thats it. I know I know ford says its because of contract with international, C'mon you guys really think ford would let a little company like international have them by the *****, i dont think so.

So if bio diesel is a good alternative why is everyone making there engines specifacally so that they cant run on it. Answer is simple the oil compaines dont want it period.

Combine that with the fact every politician is bought and sold for with oil money, and i honestly think the oil compaines hunt down and kill anyone and everyone who might have or be close to alternative and nothing is ever going to change.

sorry thats negative but its the truth as I see it.

Quick Reply: Gas prices???