General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anybody here sell on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 305 Likes on 157 Posts
Anybody here sell on eBay?

Interesting developments the past few days on eBay, especially for sellers.

If you click on the number next to someone's ID, you used to get the feedback everyone left, and if you wanted to dig, the item # was there to click on so you could see what the item was. And even if the item # was greyed out, you could still cut-and-paste the item # into the search and it would come up anyway, at least back 6 months or so.

Now, check out their feedback, and you see not only the feedback left, but the item description and PRICE.

Lots of sellers are upset about this. Why?

They actually buy stuff on eBay, turn around, mark it up, and RESELL it on eBay!

Their feedback shows the stuff they bought and what the price was, so they are all up in arms. Problem? That info was all there to begin with, it just took an extra click for each item instead all being layed out at once.

I sell stuff on eBay - not a lot, but I'm almost up to 300 feedbacks over the last 6 years.

I don't resell stuff I bought on eBay. I'm not stupid enough, nor hungry enough.

Anyone hear about this? Problems with it as a seller? Comments about being a buyer and LIKING the new system? (or not)

Just trying to get some feedback (pun intended!) on this and what the buyers think.

thanks!

--

Also, another thing the sellers don't like now, is buyers can rate you anonymously, with a 1-to-5 deal for shipping, communications, etc.

They also don't like that, because it's anonymous. And shipping times are not something they can control in some cases, like USPS (the solution is not to ship by USPS, but that got lost on a lot of people).

Now, the ratings don't show up for the first 10 buyers, so anything anyone sees is an average. If one person left all 1's and the other 9 left 4-5, you see that the overall effect of the all-1's isn't much. No more than half a star, anyway.

I don't get it.

Thoughts?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:37 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
I think that is great.. It will make more people honest and give some usefull info for buyers.
What I would like to see is a way to search just negative feedback. That is all I am concerned with.. Sometimes you can see the negative feedback was just given by some jerk and not warranted.

I didn't notice that change. Thanks for posting it.

As far as reselling items purchased on Ebay that is the American way and
The basis for Capitalism.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM
bhardy501
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sold a few items on EBAY. I have bought a lot more. I dont see a big problem with the new feedback profile. The only way there should be a problem is if someone wants to hide something. I think my 100% positive feedback speaks for itself. I have resold a couple of items on EBAY due to buying them and then not needing them. Luckily I have broke even each time.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by bhardy501
The only way there should be a problem is if someone wants to hide something.
Exactly. I told them so (in a forum thread about it) and got attacked on all sides

So, there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
mbkatt
Junior User
I sell sometimes on ebay...

I actually like the new feedback features.

And what does it matter if people can see their cost? Everyone who knows anything about reselling knows that you buy cheap, usually in bulk, and resell for a mark-up--it's called profit.

If you're really curious, and know how to use google, you can figure out within a small percentage of error how much reseller pay for the products they sell, regardless of whether or not they sell on ebay.

Besides, if I see something that is going for a rediculously cheap bargin on ebay, and know I can resell it for wuite a bit more, I'll buy. I must admit, I have only done it once or twice--I don't sell that much stuff.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
mbkatt
Junior User
Some of the new features available now when leaving someone feedback, is it let's you give them star ratings on individual aspects of the sale.

This is cool. Especially if there are sellers out there that have good products at good prices, but take forever to ship them. This can be found out.

It will help the buyers much better than just good minus bad numbers.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
bhardy501
Elder User
Originally Posted by krewat
Exactly. I told them so (in a forum thread about it) and got attacked on all sides

So, there is a lot of truth in that statement.
Some folks cant handle the truth.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Long ago I learned that something is worth what someone else is willing to give for it. I don't care what the seller paid for it, if he/she can resell it at a profit .... good for them.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by dono
Long ago I learned that something is worth what someone else is willing to give for it. I don't care what the seller paid for it, if he/she can resell it at a profit .... good for them.
The funny part is them trying to hide what they paid for it.

I see this in lots of businesses... always afraid of giving away their "best price".

I see a bunch of whiners on this one...

Old 05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the old feedback system sucked. the new one should be an improvement. as far as reselling, more power to em

Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
IVe sold alot of stuff to sellers that turned around and sold it again. Ive also turned around and sold somethign I bought. If someone has somethign at a low price, why not?

For example, I purchased 40 KVM switches for $4 each (shipped). Then put up auctions for $10 a piece. My purchase was from an ebay seller that had low feedback AND was under the table. So I dont feel guilty.

Anotehr time I sold a large lot of video games to a seller who made auctions for each game and probably made a bundle.

I like this new system from a sellers stand point of course. I hope it helps cut back on dishonesty. Too many Ebuyers are too stupid to know what they are doing on Ebay.

Also, Im about to get to the point where I dont use Ebay. BEtween ebay & paypall fees Im out 10% before its all said and done. That price is ridiculas for the service Ebay provides. IMO.

Last edited by Americanmadeford; 05-04-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Dubzilla
Senior User
I met a guy in college who wrote a computer program to do this exact thing. He makes thousands of dollars a month doing it.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:56 AM
GlennFordx4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Now I will have to go check this out I left feedback for someone yesterday but didn't notice anything different.I use ebay all the time and anything that will help weed out the the bad sellers is needed.I buy more than I sell so far but after I finish closing my shop I will have tons of stuff to sell and if it works out this will be my full time job.I still wish that there was away to just check on someones bad feedback with out going thru pages and pages of feedback.I had a bad streak for a while and no matter what I got from someone on ebay it turned out to be junk no matter of there feedback.

Last edited by GlennFordx4; 05-05-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Americanmadeford
I like this new system from a sellers stand point of course. I hope it helps cut back on dishonesty. Too many Ebuyers are too stupid to know what they are doing on Ebay.
Exactly... All the ones complaining the loudest sell stuff like ear-buds for cell phones. From china. They're worth $.50 but they sell for $5 or more. stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Americanmadeford
Also, Im about to get to the point where I dont use Ebay. BEtween ebay & paypall fees Im out 10% before its all said and done. That price is ridiculas for the service Ebay provides. IMO.
If you really think about it, 10% isn't bad at all... here's why:

First, accepting credit cards, at least Visa/MC, you WILL pay a 2.9% fee on every transaction, AND you have to lease the machine. You can do it online too, for that 2.9% fee. So, Paypal is already a break-even, in my book.

Second, all the free advertising you get. eBay is a big name, everyone knows to "look there first". They pay Google to put their stuff way up on the list, I've done searches for my own items, and VOILA, up it comes, first link. Can't beat that with a stick.

If you were running your own shop, if you had to have a catalog printed, magazine ads run, pay the rent for a storefront, whatever, do you REALLY think 10% is too much?

Old 05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Oh, and I'm not against reselling at all... the point was the ones complaining the loudest were the ones buying stuff and reselling it, and they didn't want that information showing up when someone checked their feedback.

The solution? Two seperate eBay ids.

Quick Reply: Anybody here sell on eBay?