1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP F5 owners/users, in here please. Kinda long!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 AM
HawaiianPSD
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP F5 owners, in here please...

Had my F5 since last November and recently added more tunes via a new chip Jody sent me. Got it installed, reset the F5 switch and she was good.

On the way home from work tonight, I hit my horn a few times at some guys I know and the truck bucked, almost stalled, then ran fine. I kept going and played with the horn to see what was up. Hit it again a few times and watched the F5 display, it cycled and returned to the tune it was in, all the while the truck was bucking, on the verge of stalling. I held the horn down after the truck returned to normal and the F5 switch just plain shut off, the truck idled real low, then stalled. I turned the key off and restarted her and she ran fine all the way home.

Anybody ever had this happen to them? What's the cause/cure? I'm still runnin' the ribbon cable as I had no problems with the cable and my first chip. Could the cable be the culprit? Before switching cables (have the round replacement cable Jody and Diane sent to everyone), I thought I'd ask the pro's first. Help a brother out!

Thanks guyz!

Last edited by HawaiianPSD; 05-02-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely switch the cables. Mine would do exactly what you just described except it would happen when I pushed the peddle adjustment switch. And I mean exactly as you described.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Since you are now having problems, you'd better change out the cable as soon as possible. I haven't changed mine yet, but will do it soon. Something like that could happen unexpectedly and at the worst time.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
This why we replaced all the old ribbon cables. All ribbon cables we replaced and sent out though not everyone was having problems. Have you installed any HID lights or aftermarket toggle switches? If so, you need to change out the cable.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, i had no problems with the ribbon cable till i put my 2005 heated signal mirrors, than BAM, the truck would just keep droping dead like a fly, and in the times it would scaer living shi@t out of me, i changed CPS and disconnected mirrors, still the same, than i found out about the cable,so i put a shield on the cable, and problem was solved, still have round cable in my drawer,

Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
HawaiianPSD
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the info guyz!

Diane,
haven't installed any of those things but HID's are definately in the future. Will get the cable changed out here in a few days. My old chip was sent back the same day I talked to you via USPS, insured for 4 large, lemme know when you receive it, and thanks again for the help.

Thanks again everybody, glad it's just a cable problem!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
HawaiianPSD
Mountain Pass
Got the cables swapped out and she's back too normal!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Redonthehead
New User
I just installed The DP-Tuner/F5 switch on a 2002 F250 7.3L. We seem to have a similar issue - if you bump or tap the switch box the number goes nuts and the engine stumbles/dies.

Doesn't seem to be the cable though since you can hold the switchbox and wiggle the wire to no effect. But a tap or light shake of the switchbox itself and bam, the engine falters, and usually dies. Tried to call Jody but they are only in Mon-Thurs.

The box in not yet glued to the dash - is that the problem? Otherwise - holy %$#@! this is SWEEEEET!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Redonthehead-Does the cable have a black covering? If it does then you have the newer cable, odds are you have a faulty display switch.