Sponsored by:

Timing Gear / Chain Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 11:36 AM
FS88Bronco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1988 5.8L Bronco was purchased used, it has about 133,000 on the odometer. I have no way of knowing if this the actual mileage, but the engine still runs good and doesn't require adding oil between changes at 2,500 miles.
I will be replacing the original radiator with a heavy duty unit next month. I have a 2,500 mile round trip planned and will be towing a 2,000 pound camper.
Question: Should I go ahead and replace the "timing gear set" at the same time? How long do the timing gears in this 351w engine typically last? If yes, should I replace with dealer parts or aftermarket? Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 06-25-2001, 08:31 PM
bigfordman70
Senior User

If it's running well, there isn't really any point in tearing into it.

If you decide to do it anyway, removing the radiatior isn't necessary. You will however have to remove the a/c compressor, smog pump, alternator, power steering pump, and all the bracketry for said. You'll then have to remove the water pump, line up timing marks, and remove the timing cover just to get in there.

It's not a terribly difficult job, but is time consuming.

Aftermarket parts are usually as good or better than stock, especially if your going to upgrade to a double roller or something like that.

BFM

Old 06-25-2001, 08:59 PM
whomrig
Elder User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 25-Jun-01 AT 10:03 PM (EST)[/font][p]If it were me, I think I would replace the timing gears. You have a long trip, and towing 2k. yeh id do it. one less worry. You will have the radiator out anyway, lotta work room.

Wayne
http://home.pacbell.net/whomrig

Old 07-17-2001, 10:52 AM
FS88Bronco
Junior User

Update ... I decided to order an aftermarket Protech "tru-roller" timing set from Doug Herbert and a new Modine "double core" Radiator from DIYauto.com. Both items came to less than $230.00 with shipping.

Replacing the timing set was a tough, timing consuming job that at times was extremely frustrating. I snapped off one of the frozen 4" bolts that goes through the water pump and timing cover into the engine block. Someone else (a mechanic?), snapped off a 2" bolt when replacing the original water pump and just filled the area in with silicone sealant. Removing the two broken studs and buying new bolts added about 4 hours to the task. The original timing chain had about 1" of slack (side to side), so replacing it was apparently a good decision!

Replacing the single core radiator with the Modine double core was a simple bolt in process. Only modification was drilling two new 5/16" holes for attaching the fan shroud. The 351w is now running stronger than ever and the new radiator keeps the engine temperature cool and stable in hot humid South Florida.

Many thanks to those responding to my original post ... John

Old 07-17-2001, 02:31 PM
ToyFord
New User