General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Picking a trade: Diesel vs HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
Might i ask why? I guess its a matter of preference, you want to work with your mind or your back? Do you want to work in the shop, or would you rather own it?
What does going to college have to do with owning a shop...Some of the most successful people I know never went to college.

Tim

Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take this word of advise,
I went to an Auto-diesel College in Nashville,Tn. back in 1979 - 1980, Yea I know,,, Old history! BUT!!! When I graduated most shops were wanting experience over "BOOK MECHANICS"! So ,,, instead of turning wrenches, I ended up turning wheels. But my Diesel mechanics paid off at times for my bosses and 1 wanted to give me the truck I was driving at the time, 1987 International 9670 C.O.E. just because I saved him $10,000.00 for a repair bill.
Now if you want, heres the name for that college in Nashville,Tn.
Nashville Auto-Diesel College

You'll learn BOTH Cars AND Trucks from the ground up!
Graduated August , 1980

Old 04-28-2007, 10:38 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
I've never thought to ask if there were any others here auto. Good to know!

Graduated- november '03

When was the last time you were up there?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
July, 1990 and I was on vacation and wanted to go back and remember the folks there I dealt with.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:53 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
Yeah, haven't been since I graduated. Need to get up there and see some of the old drinking gang still living in the area. I tell ya it's a shame though now that L.E. systems owns it. They have changed alot! Some for the better but most for the worse. There was also alot of instructors and other employees that have left due to policy changes and "run in's" with the new management. Regardless, I wouldn't have traded it for anything, had a great time!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
They had a booth at The Mid America Truck Show 2 years ago. I get the newsletter every now and then. But not lately. They told me that Lincoln Tech owned them, who is this L.E.?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:35 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
That's the parent company's name. Lincoln education systems. They're pretty big. They have alot of schools in the north east. NADC is the best school they currently own as far as quality education and recognition/attendence numbers. I can say that one of the reasons I chose NADC was because it was privately owned and the mindset from the admin wasn't the coroprate way, not so anymore.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
The FUNNY thing about that school was the founder's last name,,,
*****! They had them too! I knew H.O.***** and his Brother Wendell *****.
When they first started out, their Diploma's were signed with a VERY FUNNY ENDING!
Signed by the schools secertary!

BOTTOM OF THE DIPLOMA

I.M.Gonnado H.O.*****!

THIS IS NO JOKE!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does going to college have to do with owning a shop...Some of the most successful people I know never went to college.
Not really anything with getting there, but it does speed up the process. If he could do the trade and have a business degree of some sort, it would help quite a bit towards owning your own or at least running one.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
Not really anything with getting there, but it does speed up the process. If he could do the trade and have a business degree of some sort, it would help quite a bit towards owning your own or at least running one.

especially if someone looks at the key reasons for small business (and heck, even now days large businesses) failure. they would see why it would be benificial to obtain business skills for any of thier future endeavors.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did my pre-app, they touched on pretty much everything to do with a truck, trailer, and the piece of heavy equipment it might be hauling. Everything from fan hub to wheel hub. Engine, trans, driveline, diffs, brakes, you name it. Even AC. So, here's what I'm recommending.

Do mobile HVAC, work on trucks, but on the AC aspect. Once you get the refrigeration ticket, you can work on AC, or reefer trailers. Some reefers even have 3 separate zones running at different temperatures. Most of the time you would be working on a ladder, if not out of the back of a cube van on a step stool. Even if you have to pay your dues by working on car AC, it's still not as dirty as being a regular mechanic. But truck AC is way easier than car AC. Accessibility wise, anyway.

You'll still need a basic tool kit of sockets, wrenches, the odd air tool, but to be a mobile HVAC tech, you're definately gonna need a vacuum pump, a set of gauges, and other assorted specialty tools. A couple guys I know in mobile HVAC have about 15 - 20 grand in tools, pretty much. I've got about that, maybe 25. But automotive mechanics get the shaft, they own about 50 grand in tools, and make 2/3's of what a truck mechanic makes. Independant mobile HVAC guys set their own rates, and hours. I'm sure there's no problem grossing 250 a year, but that makes for really long days. 70 grand would probably be at the low end. I made just under 60 last year.

There's a guy in Ontario who hasn't posted on these boards in a long time, and he does what I do, but he's an independant mobile mechanic who also does AC. He would have excellent info. Just can't think of his user name right now.

I can also do AC, and am certified to do it, but am so out of practice (5 years) that I would be better off taking a refresher course. All our AC is subleted to an independant contractor anyway. But if I changed shops, AC is one thing I will definitely be hounding the boss to get me upgraded for.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
I heard that bigrig. Thermo king pays sum gooooooooooooooood money!!!
I probably would have went to work for them(if they'dve had me) if the closest one to me wasn't over 80 miles away. Oh well no need in that now, it's sink or swim for me in the self employed market, and the boss is an A-hole.hehehehehe