Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission won't shift into Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission won't shift into Park

Other than Park, the truck shifts fine while driving. Fluid level is good and does not smell burnt to me (never smelled ATF before so not exactly sure on this). Will a fluid change most likely fix this or does someone need to educate me on how Park works in an automatic? Is it a valve body thing and I should call BTS? Keep basic please, I'm definitely not a transmission expert.
<O</O
Thanks!<O</O
Dan

Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean you can't move the shifter to P? Or do you mean that when the shifter is in P the trans isn't in park?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Do you mean you can't move the shifter to P, or that when the shifter is in P the trans isn't in park?

Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Could be a linkage thing. Try disconnecting the linkage at the tranny and see if you can get the lever to go into park that way. If it goes in you have a simple adjustment thing.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Originally Posted by Casey
Do you mean you can't move the shifter to P, or that when the shifter is in P the trans isn't in park?
The shifter is slowly limiting my "throw" over twords the "P".

Any help on where the shift linkage is and how to go about checking it?

Thanks again!
Dan

Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
First, BLOCK THE WHEELS AND SET THE PARKING BRAKE.

Next, look at the trans where the shift cable attaches. There could be a stone stuck there, or ice, or anything that interferes with it's movement. If it is clear, remove the nut that hold the shifter cable on and see if you can move the lever to every position. If not, the problem is inside the trans and probably needs professional help.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
johnsps250
Tuned
Originally Posted by dcwhipple
The shifter is slowly limiting my "throw" over twords the "P".

Any help on where the shift linkage is and how to go about checking it?

Thanks again!
Dan
Though I am still not clear on your exact problem,
If the trans is shifting into Park but the needle is still saying R there is a cable adjustment under the dash for the needle. If the shifter is stopping at reverse, and while running the truck still is in reverse, I would look for a possible cable or linkage bind or adjustment. I suppose it could also be something internal to the trans but I would look at the linkage first.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
cnd999
Senior User
If it is determined that the linkage cannot be adjusted to get it to go into park, there is a wear item in the tranny called a parking pawl that may be the solution.I had this happen to another truck I had. This is very dangerous combined with a weak parking brake.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Originally Posted by johnsps250
If the trans is shifting into Park but the needle is still saying R there is a cable adjustment under the dash for the needle. If the shifter is stopping at reverse, and while running the truck still is in reverse, I would look for a possible cable or linkage bind or adjustment. I suppose it could also be something internal to the trans but I would look at the linkage first.
John...the shifter is stopping at reverse, and while running the truck still is in reverse. I'll crawl under and see if I can find the wire and look for any binding or extra gravel/parts stuck in there.

Thanks for the input!
Dan

Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Pics?

Originally Posted by johnsps250
If the trans is shifting into Park but the needle is still saying R there is a cable adjustment under the dash for the needle.
Any chance someone has a pic of this adjuster? Just last night my needle became 'misaligned', i.e. the needle is at R but it's in PARK; in 2 but it's in D. So I just need to adjust that... or look for crap in my linkage, which I'll check when I leave work.

Thanks all!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the linkage feel sloppy? Some Fords have an arm that the cable attaches to under the dash that is held on with two screws. The screws can back out and the link will not travel properly.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
johnsps250
Tuned
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Any chance someone has a pic of this adjuster? Just last night my needle became 'misaligned', i.e. the needle is at R but it's in PARK; in 2 but it's in D. So I just need to adjust that... or look for crap in my linkage, which I'll check when I leave work.

Thanks all!
If I knew how to post a picture I could, but I have unsuccessful to this point.
The adjustment for the needle is easy to spot though, you will just need to remove the lower dash panel on the driver side. Then look for the small cable that attaches to the column and it loops up and goes to the pointer. The adjustment is a black thumb wheel mounted in a white plastic mount on the steering column. No tools are required for the adjustment.
I will continue to reasearch the picture posting if I figure it out I will edit it in.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Found it - the plastic part broke... ggrrrrrr... oh well. time for new parts

Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Originally Posted by slc10844
Does the linkage feel sloppy? Some Fords have an arm that the cable attaches to under the dash that is held on with two screws. The screws can back out and the link will not travel properly.
Rep points for you ...you hit the nail on the head!

Under the dash next to the steering column, there is a plate with two T-25 star screws that holds the arm in place that the wire from the shifter pulls on. That plate was almost falling off because the screws had backed out so far. I tightened them back up and I'm back in business!!!!

FYI...anyone who has a sloppy feeling column shifter needs to do this. Mine went from sloppy to tight as a drum literally in seconds!

I love this forum and again am glad I'm a sponsor.
Dan

Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Trakk
Senior User
OH MAN! This thread ROCKS! I was dreading taking my truck to the shop tomorrow. I was afraid it was going to be expensive work. My auto shifter would not go into park.

After reading these posts, I went outside, dropped the panel under the dash and checked those star screws. They were about to fall out. LOL

Just like dcwhipple, I tightened them up and it's shifting perfectly now. THANKS!

Trakk

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift into Park