A/C Compressor Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Clutch Question

My moms 96 Monte Carlo (yes she likes Chebbies I think I was adopted lol) has an A/C problem. During Easter weekend I looked at it but I didnt have any tools handy. When she switches the A/C on the compressor clutch doesnt kick in. Is it possible the clutch is bad? The compressor doesnt make any noise and I didnt have my voltmeter to see if it was getting any voltage. In the next week or so Im gonna check it out again, this time with the proper tools. Also one more question, in 96 was everything running on R134a or was R12 still being used?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
bustech81
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By 96 everything should be r134a. You need to hook up a set of guages too see if there is any pressure in the system. If no refridgerant, no pressure, and no clutch engagement. Get this far a halla back and we will help you furthur.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Well when mom first told me about it I figured she just needed a recharge cause of its age. I had her buy one of those R134a cans with a guage on it and she did. While she was having a guy change her oil and she asked him to recharge it for her and I guess he hooked it up and said there was too much pressure. He didnt even look to see if the compressor was running and he told her it was gonna cost her to have him look at it. My guess is there is still freon in the lines.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 AM
bustech81
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well go off that assumtion for now. Check easy things first like fuses, loose connectors, dirty grounds etc. If all that checks good, look to see if you are getting power to the clutch. if yes, install a new clutch, if not, back track. check the pressure cycling switch for power on either side of contacts. If it has a high pressure cut out than inspect that too. good luck

Old 04-22-2007, 02:11 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
When I checked it out over Easter weekend the first thing I looked at was the fuses which were good. I also checked the relays but there wasnt much too look at there cause I couldnt test them. I called the parts store and they dont sell clutches. I havent checked with the dealer yet so I assume that would be a dealer part. Hopefully tomorrow I will take a trip to moms and bring some tools to figure whats goin on and I will keep this thread updated.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Case closed. Not enough freon in the system so therefore not enough pressure for the computer to engage the clutch. See my thread about manifold gauges 101 for my next problem.