Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco Cooling (Full Size)?

Old 11-02-2001, 08:46 AM
Guido01
New User

Need some inputs!
I have a 1994 full size Bronco (351) four wheel drive, in excellent condition. Never had a problem with cooling until last year. Seemed to run near hot when I towed my boat or drove above 60 mph. Since than I have put on a 3" exhaust, K&N filter, new fan clutch and a 4 core (Heat Buster) radiator from Auto Zone.
I than put on a inexpensive mechanical temp gauge that shows the temp by degrees, smallest changes (which is unlike the factory gauge). I live in Az. (temp. get 110). I run around 210-215 runing around town. When I tow or exceed 60 mph my temp clinb to 220 -225. It will drop down when I slow down. I have been told by different Dealers, mechanics that is normal and it could run up to 232 degrees. I still am not really compfortable because they always say they think! Can anyone address this? All inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2001, 10:30 AM
adelyser
Elder User

I have a 1994 Eddie Bauer with the 351, and I also replaced the radiator with the same heat buster unit from Autozone. I also replaced the thermostat with a 197° Generation II. I started with a 180° thermostat, but it seemed to run too cool, and wasn't burning the fuel correctly. I towed a 6x12 Uhaul trailer loaded with a piano and apliances from GA to Denver in June, and had no problems at all. While I don't know the exact temperatures, my temp gauge never rose over the half way point. I would check the thermostat, and maybe replace it. Also, do you have the factory oil & tranny coolers for towing? I do have them, and that might make a difference. At least the oil cooler would. If you don't have an oil cooler, I would suggest getting one, especially if you tow a lot.

AaronD

Old 11-02-2001, 10:38 AM
beratte
Senior User

Have you flushed your cooling system with a garden hose type adapter kit? It will blow out an unbelievable amount of junk. What degree thermostat do you have? My Ford Specifications book for 1995 trucks says that the thermostat should start opening at 205 deg and be fully open at 220 deg. That's at an operating pressure of 13 psi. Another thing to think about is your fan clutch. If your bimetal temp sensor on your clutch is bad then your fan will not turn when hot. The book says your fan clutch should engage at 155 deg. I can't find anywhere what the normal and max operating temp should be but it would make sense that because the you have a 220 deg thermostat, a normal temp would be that or above. I don't think a 231 deg temp is that unreasonable.
Best of luck, Ben
1995 Bronco XLT, 302, E4OD, 31" BFG AT's

Old 11-04-2001, 09:45 AM
Guido01
New User

I have a 1994 Eddie Bauer with the 351, and I also replaced the radiator with the same heat buster unit from Autozone. I also replaced the thermostat with a 197° Generation II. I started with a 180° thermostat, but it seemed to run too cool, and wasn't burning the fuel correctly. I towed a 6x12 Uhaul trailer loaded with a piano and apliances from GA to Denver in June, and had no problems at all. While I don't know the exact temperatures, my temp gauge never rose over the half way point. I would check the thermostat, and maybe replace it. Also, do you have the factory oil & tranny coolers for towing? I do have them, and that might make a difference. At least the oil cooler would. If you don't have an oil cooler, I would suggest getting one, especially if you tow a lot.

AaronD
Thanks for input!
have a transmission cooler in radiator. However no engine oil cooler. Where is it located (factory unit)? Do you feel it keeps engine temperature cooler, and if so by how much?