Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Computer thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by horsepuller
You're right. I checked and this thread was moved here from the WA chapter because it wasn't a chapter related topic. So this is where it belongs.
Thanks for looking horsepuller.
I don't understand that, I'm a FTE member and started my thread in the Washington Chapter for us there. But since we all obviously use computers, then it will fit about anywhere non-automotive. If y'all Mods want it here, that's great, but the courtesy of telling the thread starter or a Mod's post in the thread for everybody to see would be nice too.

Edit: This is 3 threads now started by different peeps in the WA chapter that have been moved/deleted/merged without any notification for the rest of us to know what's going on. How about mods making a short post in them, it takes 10 seconds and keeps us informed.

Last edited by RexB; 04-13-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RexB
Thanks for looking horsepuller.
I don't understand that, I'm a FTE member and started my thread in the Washington Chapter for us there. But since we all obviously use computers, then it will fit about anywhere non-automotive. If y'all Mods want it here, that's great, but the courtesy of telling the thread starter or a Mod's post in the thread for everybody to see would be nice too.

Edit: This is 3 threads now started by different peeps in the WA chapter that have been moved/deleted/merged without any notification for the rest of us to know what's going on. How about mods making a short post in them, it takes 10 seconds and keeps us informed.
Thanks for your input. I'll pass the word on to the the rest of the crew. You are correct though. It is a courtesy, not a requirement. That's why we ask everyone to keep a current email updated in their profile so they can recieve such courtesy notices. Not all the volunteers or staff has the time to special handle every post. We are human too, so sometimes we don't leave a post or send a note. So please excuse us if we forget.

On the topic of the WA chapter: The chapters are for us to use for discussing local meets, motor shows, local rides and general fellowship. If we turn them into just another general discussion forum, they become redundant. The chapters are intended as a bennefit to us and if we misuse them, they are of no bennefit to FTE.

Okay, enough of that. Let's get back to the topic!

Last edited by horsepuller; 04-13-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Ok, that's a good rules reminder; horse-sense says that a mod's post saying a thread is moved/merged takes 10 seconds...all of this took 40 minutes. So right, bot...
-
Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
Well Rex, try this www.linspire.com I am a lifetime member, so I get free upgrades and CNR. Linspire is a good first time users ver., that was made for people that know Zerro (me) about Linux. The guy that started MP3, started it as Lindows....
I've been going thru their presentations and tutorials a little, looks good! I'll study Linspire more, xLindows was famous, as I'll need the help getting used to using a linux box.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Well, since nobody called me on it, here's the article I was hinting at in my previous post:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

A bit old, but still good. I dont agree with everything in the article (like his love for Microsoft), but it's interesting to hear his views on the subject.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:59 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just figured i'd wait about a year before i switched to Vista mainly because it's expensive and im gonna wait until there is drivers for everything first. I dont see what was wrong with XP they finally got it to run good and Microsoft comes out with a new operating system, all about making money...

Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, the thread has taken on only OS so far. Has anyone tried the MS Office 2007? I think it's a really nice upgrade from 2003.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneminizut
You know, the thread has taken on only OS so far. Has anyone tried the MS Office 2007? I think it's a really nice upgrade from 2003.
Bought and used 2003 MS Office for three yrs now, Wife uses for work OL. What the bennies in the 07????

Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, to tell you the truth I usually use OpenOffice in Linux, but when I do use my Office 2007 it's more of the zoom zooms and wham wham's. Just a better interface/GUI... A little hard to get used to at first after using 2003 for so long. I just thought the thread my tak a nasty turn into a Vista vs. XP war so I thought, new topic?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just surprised shocked and awed that a Mod moved it from the WA chapter without posting something in the thread about doing it. Why for?
There really wasn't much need to post notice because we left a courtesy redirect in the chapter at the original thread.

In the future you find you have questions, comments or concerns about moderation:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

-Item 9-

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by webmaster
There really wasn't much need to post notice because we left a courtesy redirect in the chapter at the original thread.

In the future you find you have questions, comments or concerns about moderation:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
-Item 9- ...Thanks and have a great weekend.
Thankyou. It wasn't even a known moderator issue until I asked how this thread ended up in this section. A redirect is just an invisible basic modding function, a notice in the thread is a courtesy to members everywhere. I never pulled a stealth mod op like that without a post in the thread, guess I'm too polite. I'll PM you soon, and have a gread couple of day off. Rex

Yea, the OS's could get beat to death. I'm using Office 2003 and it's pretty good. Might go OpenOffice, but not MS Office 2007. Prolly just keep 2003, because I don't use any of them that much.

Last edited by RexB; 04-13-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
You know, to tell you the truth I usually use OpenOffice in Linux, but when I do use my Office 2007 it's more of the zoom zooms and wham wham's. Just a better interface/GUI... A little hard to get used to at first after using 2003 for so long. I just thought the thread my tak a nasty turn into a Vista vs. XP war so I thought, new topic?
New topic would be great!

I use OpenOffice.org in Windows. I've got a few customers that use it also. They like the price tag, and say it does everything they need it to do. Which of course, leaves them free to spend more money on hardware, where it will do some good.

Really I cant say enough good about it. We need more open source software innovation like OpenOffice. Notice how there's a windows version and a Linux version? Get enough of those kind of software products, and people might start actually switching to Linux, leaving Windows behind. But that's getting back to operating systems.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:04 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I never pulled a stealth mod op like that without a post in the thread, guess I'm too polite.
And humble too?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:19 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Verily.

Nice one.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
New topic would be great!

I use OpenOffice.org in Windows. I've got a few customers that use it also. They like the price tag, and say it does everything they need it to do. Which of course, leaves them free to spend more money on hardware, where it will do some good.

Really I cant say enough good about it. We need more open source software innovation like OpenOffice. Notice how there's a windows version and a Linux version? Get enough of those kind of software products, and people might start actually switching to Linux, leaving Windows behind. But that's getting back to operating systems.
You're talking me into dumping my (expensive) Office Pro 2003 and installing OpenOffice. It's been tried before, perhaps I'll take the plunge. 2003 is just so danged big, unwieldy, and tempermental.

Thanks, I'll steel myself and do it. Probably get more use out of it too.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Do it. Seriously. You'll like it.

Heck, install it along side the Office you've got on there now. That way you're not really sticking your neck out. Then if you decide you like it, you can uninstall Office.

Quick Reply: Computer thread