Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You know what this forum needs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
scmedia
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like this site. Its members have helped with my problems and future problems many times.

I'm not sure how this search engine works but some sites force members to be VERY precise with their thread titles. No vague stuff like "HELP" etc. The topic IS the title. Clever titles are fun to read but it's just more stuff for the search to filter through.

Still grateful,
Michael

Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
In no particular order & based solely on my main use as a 4x2 gas/auto owner & my observations over the course of past year these would be my Sugestions For Topics:

Documentation/Manuals/Service Information: You need Info to work on your truck. Where to get it & how to use it. Whats best for You & your situation.

Diagnostic routines, Code retrevial & the EEC. Yah gotta know what its thinkin' to fix it.

Parts is Parts is Parts...NOT. Where to get parts and what you can expect from them when you do. Why we recomend Ford or Motorcraft parts. Deciding on when & where to spend the money or go cheap & how to do it.

Fuel Tank/Pump issues specific to model year & app. How not to burn up your truck

Steering column & everything therein. Lock cylinder removal, actuator cam, ignition switch, tilt mechanisim, indicators and manual & auto shift linkages. Interchangeability.

Instrument Clusters, PSOM, programing, Tachs, oil pressure gauge not a gauge make it a gauge, etc.

Ballast wire repair & How Not To Burn Up Your Truck

Underhood item locations for electronics. SPOUT,TFI, ignition modules, PCM, & sensors for specific apps. (excelent opportunity for links to member trucks pics)

Alternators, upgrades,3gs, accesories supply, wiring, use of relays & How Not To Burn Up Your Truck.

Performance Upgrades, cheap, expensive, 2wd,4wd,etc.

HO 5.0 in an F series and all that's entailed.

The E4OD: What It Is, why it is and what you can & can't do about it.

Speed Density & Mass-Air. What Is & why. Should or shouldn't you change.

Speed Density & just how far you can go.

My Truck's dead... Where to start & concise order of steps to trouble shoot

My Truck died... Where to start..ditto.

Ten things you should do when you buy a F series of this family.

Ten things you should look at before you buy a F series of this family.

Recalls & How To Not Burn Up Your Truck.

(Just a small starting, list mind you)

And on a decidedly different note, I'd love to see some kind of voluntary aptitude test of about 100 questions that you could rate yourself mechanically. It would yield a rating form 0 to 10.

0 would be on a par with say.."What's a valve cover?"

10 would be on a par with... ummm. "Frederic?"

Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if all these things were answered than no need for the forum as it exists.

maybe than we can call it "ftewikepedia".

Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Sure it won't stop all the redundant questions...

But at least you'll have an informed member who starts a thread.
I totally agree with this post. It would definately solve some problems, that is if people would look at them.

One thing I have noticed that is a testament to the greatness of the members on this site is that even when somebody asks a question that has been beaten to death, its very rare that people jump all over them. Instead, they recommend next time to try the search, or just answer the question or even provide a link to a previous post that will help them out.

This has to be the most helpfull and cohesive bunch of people on the net, like one big happy (dysfunctional) family!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are many reasons for a lack of how-to sections...

First...

We do have our tech articles section, in which we encourage users to do write-ups on stuff. I am currently doing one on the MAF conv...like someone already mentioned. It'll be in the tech articles section.

The main reason we refrain from a large how-to or FAQ section is because we want to encourage users to post, talk/discuss, ask questions, etc. We want to encourage use of the forums and not discourage it.

We have many elder users who refer people to the search function. Moderators rarely do this. Elders get fustrated with the common questions, and still want to help. They know where to get the answer so they direct users to the search. The problem is that a search function is only as good as the keywords you use to try and find what you're looking for. Elders know the search terms that will directly pull up resources where newbies don't always use the best search terms or techniques.

If I want information on a bouncy speedo....I know to search "BAD PSOM" or similar. A Newb has no clue.

We also are cutting down on stickies at the top of the forum. As you have seen, my sticky was moved to my signature.

I've seen a lot of forums post basic car info and common questions in a sticky before. It's an okay thing but you only get 1 perspective and depending on the subject it is usually beneficial to have more than 1. With our trucks, there are a lot of options, a lot of variances, and Ford is known for their oddities. Many people cannot accurately pin specific facts down (like when MAF started, and on what vehicles...or when roller cams/lifters officially started) but we mostly have a general consensus.

If you would like to write articles or how-to's for us...let me know. I am willing to discuss it and evaluate it.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 04-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
I never really looked at it like that, one of the good things about this site is all of the interaction, and I see how if all of the information was just posted people might not ask as many questions or get to know people as much.

It would still be a good resource to have, tho

Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

[QUOTE=quicklook2]if all these things were answered than no need for the forum as it exists.QUOTE]

I Don't think that's ever going to happen...

Besides, think of how much less you'd have to type "Do A Search" on a daily basis.

I like the title...Catchy.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
There are other forums out there that do a better job of creating/maintaining how-to type threads, IMO. If you go to fsb, there are a number of threads that people have spent a lot of time on, taking pictures, writing up procedures, etc. that FTE doesn't have and I wonder why. Their members aren't any less technical than ours. There are guys out there that have done a ton of work on their own trucks, but I've never seen a write-up here that was half as good as what other places have.

Not meaning this to be a slam, by any means, just an observation.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

One of the subjects I didn't add was how to use FTE to its fullest...

I've been involved with a lot of volunteer organizations over time & some things are the same wherever you go. The existing membership get tired of putting up with newbies & "repel" them. You loose a lot of good people that way along with their unique knowledge & most importantly their potential. Usually its cause they are pesterin' the "old timers" for acceptance & info.

Even if the end product winds up out of sight in the article section, that's fine. It'd be available as a link for an elder to provide and invite the novice to read and come on back for clarification and further discussion as needed.

I think that the group authoring/creation of such info articles by way of a temporarily sticking a thread would do a lot more for engendering discussion and participation in this particular forum than simply constantly repeating the same answers over & over. The retention and participation of members would have to be better than it is. The quality of posts would surely improve. And the temper and patience of elders wouldn't be tested sooo often.

As far as making differing veiw points were well represented, the end poduct could be written with such qualifiers as:

"It's the opinion of some..."

"There is a school of thought that..."

"It is the experience of some..."

And the most important:

"Your Results May Vary"

Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Here is my two cents.
I do not like the How-to, as they are cold and frozen to somebody looking up something.
One thing that I have not seen brought up is there are other countries that use this as source of information as they can not buy a book on their Truck and need help also.
Most How-to I have seen use a lot of laymen’s terms that mean nothing to someone outside of the country and on a forum we can help him or her a lot more.
Some of the lay terms used that other parts of the world may or may not understand are:
Bendix for clutch type starter drive.
Dizzy for distributor (early trucks called this a Timer and a Starter was a Commencer).
Alternator for the A/C Generator.
Blinker for Turn Signals.
And of course the reverse is true also.
They use bonnet for the hood.
Accumulator for Battery
Wing for the fender.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Hey Andy...

Wanna' mosey on over to the club & try and have reasoned discussion with Code3 on politics & world affairs?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
djx4yz
Junior User
where is the tech articles section?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Hey Andy...

Wanna' mosey on over to the club & try and have reasoned discussion with Code3 on politics & world affairs?

what exactly are you getting at here?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by quicklook2
what exactly are you getting at here?
That sometimes I just get discouraged

No biggie.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
still not clear.

Quick Reply: You know what this forum needs?