Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 life span

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
slangvel
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 life span

I have a '99 7.3 PSD with 201630 miles, I have not had a problem with the engine. Are there things I should be having done, or looking to go bad.

Have been considering a new Ford with diesel or a Chevy, seems to be a lot of chatter about both having troubles.

Should I stay with the 7.3 and just fix it as it needs it? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just keep up with maintnence and you should be fine, some guys here are going on 300k and still running solid,you might get 500k without an issue, so its up to you , if you keep up with oil changes and other little things and like the truck why not keep it?
and as they all say if it aint broken dont fix it,
unless you having little oil leaks here and there than take care of them as soon as they apear,
im sure other guys will chim in here to help you out
good luck on your decision

Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If your 99 is like mine, i would pull the valve covers and check the injector/glow plugs 9 pin connector..(i have a pic if you want to see it). It is a bad design on the plastic locking tabs and alot of us have had the connectors pull apart over time.. Both sides were loose, about a 1/4", on mine at 71K miles, the drivers side being worse.. gave me a SES light and one the injector was not firing.. Fixed the tabs with a shim and have not have any problems since.. (Ford has a fix for this also. Another plastic tab) Note: you can reuse the valve cover gaskets..