2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking after oil change again

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
i've read on this site that it's the 5.4 much of the time.
I have as well, but I believe it's more predominant on the earlier 5.4's, pre 04 mostly, but some of the 04's as well.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcard30
Please hurry and sell your Ford. We could all use a rest.

Moving on (well, at least some of us can)....

I've read all the posts in this thread. Strange that no one has asked this question....

Beefford, do you fill you oil filter before you install it?

If you don't, the pump must fill the filter before it moves to the rest of the engine.

That could explain the knock on start up after an oil change.
Since you are such a rocket scientist suppose you tell me how you fill and oil filter that lays on it's sidethen get it in a place barely big enough for your hand without loosing any?????

Last edited by 04 FX4 Lineman; 04-03-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by gui88ford
what is this you speak of???
5.4 3V plugs get carbon build up and then can not be removed without great ordeal even then some pull in half leaving ground electrod shield in the head very widely known problem also if ford change interval is followed at 100K plugs may be fused right to the head with carbon not to be removed at all.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
1. half fill the filter with oil. the filter media will soak up the oil and as long as you aren't d!cking the dog when installing the filter, you won't spill any of it. helps prevent excessive time to fill on initial start-up.

2. the "blowing" plug problem was old generation 5.4's. what the dealers call heritage. there may be a few 04's out there with the old 5.4 motor in it. not likely though

3. knocking is most likely caused by valve train with no lubrication on initial startup. could also be caused by a dry oil pump that is re-priming itself.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Roller1
Freshman User
All you should ever have to do is change the oil and put some new oil in the filter before putting it back on. There is no trick to this and you shouldnt ever have to hold the gas peddle down a crank it a few times so your engine doesnt knock. I have never done this on any of my trucks or cars and shouldnt have to either.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
5.4 3V plugs get carbon build up and then can not be removed without great ordeal even then some pull in half leaving ground electrod shield in the head very widely known problem also if ford change interval is followed at 100K plugs may be fused right to the head with carbon not to be removed at all.

correction....it was the old 5.4/4.6....pre 04 and i think some of the 04's also.....but the heritage ones....

caused by not enough threads....

Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Horseapple
Junior User
Do you run the engine for a few minutes before the oil change or change it next morning cold? Warming the engine first allows oil to flow out of the pan easier,also it puts a protective coating of oil on bearing surfaces for the critical "dry start up"

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Beefford
Senior User

I've read all the posts in this thread. Strange that no one has asked this question....

If you don't, the pump must fill the filter before it moves to the rest of the engine.

As I stated in the original post - yes I do fill the filter with new oil before installing it. I have always used motorcraft oil and filters - nothing else. Thanks for all comments. The only way to find out what is truely wrong is to take to a dealer and that is just not going to happen. My warranty is expired and I am not giving them another dime.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Beefford
Senior User

As I stated in the original post - yes I do fill the filter with new oil before installing it. I have always used motorcraft oil and filters - nothing else. It is an 04 FX4 w/5.4. Thanks for all comments. The only way to find out what is truely wrong is to take to a dealer and that is just not going to happen. My warranty is expired and I am not giving them another dime.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beefford
As I stated in the original post - yes I do fill the filter with new oil before installing it. I have always used motorcraft oil and filters - nothing else. It is an 04 FX4 w/5.4. Thanks for all comments. The only way to find out what is truely wrong is to take to a dealer and that is just not going to happen. My warranty is expired and I am not giving them another dime.

well, i can tell you taht it's not normal...i have never changed oil in anything i have ever owned and it knocked when i started up for the first time...

so, it's up to you but i would STRONGLY suggest taking it to the dealer.....better to spend a dime now than to spend 3,500 bucks later for a new engin becuse something is all F'd up just cause your being stubborn...

just my 2C

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gui88ford
well, i can tell you taht it's not normal...i have never changed oil in anything i have ever owned and it knocked when i started up for the first time...

so, it's up to you but i would STRONGLY suggest taking it to the dealer.....better to spend a dime now than to spend 3,500 bucks later for a new engin becuse something is all F'd up just cause your being stubborn...

just my 2C
make it $0.04.....I agree.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Horseapple
Do you run the engine for a few minutes before the oil change or change it next morning cold? Warming the engine first allows oil to flow out of the pan easier,also it puts a protective coating of oil on bearing surfaces for the critical "dry start up"
That's exactly what I do. I may not bother filling up the filter, but I always go for a little spin and bring the engine up to operating temp before the oil change.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hate to tell ya, but it is normal. The 3v 5.4 is a totally redesigned 5.4 than previous 5.4's. You have variable valve timing through a Cam Phaser. The 3v utilizes oil from the filter to go to the top end. Once you remove the filter the top end oil drains out through the filter adapter. This is the reason a good filter with an anti-drianback valve is needed in this application. The Cam Phaser requires oil to operate.
To help avoid the noise issue, fill the new filter half way, the filter media will absorb the oil. Replace the oil filter.

Fill the engine with 7 qts. Hold the throttle to the floor, and crank for a few moments. This will allow the filter to fill and send oil to the top end. The engine will not start in full throttle.
Once you have pumped enough oil to he top end, start as normal, you will not get the Cam Phaser noise.
Even if you do not follow the above proceedure the noise is not determental and will clear once oil finds it way to the top end.

Anyone telling you it's not normal does not have a clue about the 3v 5.4.

The newer 5.4's have a redesigned Cam phaser. The way I understand it they are not compatible with the 04 5.4's.

Going to a dealer is just a waste of your time.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-04-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
FXForistell
Senior User
You make it sound like if the procedure you outlined is not followed, you'll hear the knock. I didn't follow that, I just changed my oil the way I always have, and my 06 5.4 did not knock. I don't expect it to, either. I didn't see anything in the owner's manual that states that I should hear or accept a knock. Someone please advise?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you read the whole thing newer 5.4's have redesigned CAM PHASERS not compatible with the 04 and 05's.

BTW it's not a knocking sound!

Last edited by KevinM; 04-04-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: knocking after oil change again