General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

what you all think of the Marines new tattoo policy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bf250
"sea lawyers" i havn't heard that term for awhile!

i agree about the good judgment call, thats what the Chief is for...right?
That's what we should be there for.....but there are too many that are "YES MEN"....way too many....

Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
06BLK-F150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
That's what we should be there for.....but there are too many that are "YES MEN"....way too many....
The previous two MCPON's (Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy for the non military types) come instantly to mind. I like the new one because he is getting the Chiefs out of the wardroom and getting them back out there leading the junior Sailors.

The military has changed dramatically in the 20 years I have been in. Young people coming in today have more freedoms than I had when I went to bootcamp in 1986. Some changes have been for the better, some have hampered leaderships ability to deal with problem children though.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 06BLK-F150
The previous two MCPON's (Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy for the non military types) come instantly to mind. I like the new one because he is getting the Chiefs out of the wardroom and getting them back out there leading the junior Sailors.

The military has changed dramatically in the 20 years I have been in. Young people coming in today have more freedoms than I had when I went to bootcamp in 1986. Some changes have been for the better, some have hampered leaderships ability to deal with problem children though.
Amen, Joe is leading us in the right direction...deckplates baby!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 AM
BlackFX4Screw
Senior User
Once you join you are Goverment property. Get sunburnt get wrote up. You want a tat get one when you get out.
Sgt. 8 year Marine

Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
As a Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman, i've never seen anyone actually written up for it....threatened, yes, but never written up....we had marines bring their juniors into medical to try to get us enforce the unwritten rule...never happen, it's a leadership issue, not medical.....

Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why would you get wrote up(whatever that means) for getting a sunburn. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Tim

Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
I'm a vet, US Navy. I met a lot of jarheads, and they were all decent people, with or without tattoos.

They are also warriors. Their job is to fight and kill. They kill and they die for us.

The ancient Scots and Picts painted themselves blue before battle, to scare the whee out of the enemy. I say let them get tats, let them look scary. I WANT the enemy to be afraid, be very afraid.

Maybe we should just keep our warriors in glass cases, and break them out only when we need them. That way, we don't have to see the tats or whatever else we don't like when they aren't fighting our wars.

(posted partly tongue in cheek, BTW)

Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont care either way

Old 04-01-2007, 03:08 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AeroPA
Picts painted themselves blue before battle, to scare the whee out of the enemy. I say let them get tats, let them look scary. I WANT the enemy to be afraid, be very afraid.)
with all the gear we wear, you can't see any skin other than the face....
our weapons and gear scares them plenty.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
with all the gear we wear, you can't see any skin other than the face....
our weapons and gear scares them plenty.
LOL. Excellent point.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Well, I guess it really is because of tear drops, racial, and gang tatoos forcing one general policy on everyone. I can see not having the face done for clean policy reasons, where the tear drops are.

It all comes down on the image they want to present on the government property and having to take it too far because of a few individuals that do not want to conform to general taste guidelines.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:48 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rebocardo
Well, I guess it really is because of tear drops, racial, and gang tatoos forcing one general policy on everyone. I can see not having the face done for clean policy reasons, where the tear drops are.

It all comes down on the image they want to present on the government property and having to take it too far because of a few individuals that do not want to conform to general taste guidelines.
exactly..........

Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gota remmember when there off base in short sleeve shirt you can see them! no different than having a job were they require you to cover up any tattoo that can be seen!had one of them jobs!just need too put there tattoos under cover till there tour is up!bottom line! i spent 6 years as a marine and i got tattoos!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been tattooing for years now, and there's been the no face, neck or head tattoos rule for a while in the armed forces, as far as I was told. I can understand the issue they're having, but kids these days are getting inked to all hell and back.
To be honest, I got some small tattoos on my chin when I was 18. Can't enlist, and in most states I could sign up for G.A. Looking back, I know I made plenty of mistakes as a teen, and am not about to leech off of tax payers (like myself) for some stupid ink in my skin. I work my @$$ off every day, and am proud to do it.
Just my little rant. Folks are fighting their asses off out there, and I don't think they should be given any **** about their ink, as plenty of folks do regret what they have, and many others are proud of it.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an employee of a company that company has the right to tell you what the dress code is going to be. San Diego PD implemented a tattoo policy stating no tats to be visible while working. Lots of guys wearing long sleeves every day now.

Quick Reply: what you all think of the Marines new tattoo policy?