6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Flame Thrower Standard Equipment? - Video...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot rod spark plug adapted into the tail piece maybe,probable but who knows what those cummins boys are up to this time.
but of course it's obviously FORDS fault for adding to the fire hence the flame game has gotten bigger..

Last edited by jaybird; 03-25-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 AM
badlar
Senior User
If you look at the very start of the video, you can also see it, although it is harder to see because it is zoomed out farther, then it blends in with the spare tire behind it, then you can see it again.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
BowDown
Senior User
Can you even ignite diesel with a spark plug? Also I don't really think there's anything in exhaust. It's a very poor video clip. It's prbly just a shadow of the spare tire. Certain angles it's not even there at all.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
thadolfs
New User
Question

I wourld expect some dark smoke from burning diesel, I don´t see any. Looks more like Propane or gasoline.

F350 Outlaw CC PS60 SB 2007

Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
It looks a lot worse than it is. The problem is with the diesel particulate filter when it enters regeneration mode. When operating correctly it sprays a little bit of fuel in the exhaust and ignites it hence burning off the particulates captured by the filter. It was either do this or replace the filter every 10,000 miles. The problem with the defective units is they go into regeneration mode a lot more often, stay in that mode longer, and spray way to much fuel into the exhaust. So far only one grass fire in Texas has been linked to it.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Regen or not who knows;all I know is that that is a "Major Flame Thrower" that needs to be put out of commission for now.I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to emissions aftermarket stuff but that flame is not just sputtering out alittle flamage it is roaring out like a pipeline open torch in IRAQ!
Park a car tire along beside that exhaust and it will burn it down in a minute flat.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Lets see, truck in maintenance facility parking lot, camera at hand, audience waiting for the show, voice direction of the event.........................suppose theres a chance the flame show got a bit of "assistance"?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
poopdogg
New User
do gas super duties have the same exhaust tip?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
blown65stang
Junior User
Originally Posted by BowDown
Can you even ignite diesel with a spark plug? Also I don't really think there's anything in exhaust. It's a very poor video clip. It's prbly just a shadow of the spare tire. Certain angles it's not even there at all.

Not like it would be all that difficult to rig a fuel supply and spark source. That one part sure doesnt look like a spare tire unless they shrunk alot.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
Lets see, truck in maintenance facility parking lot, camera at hand, audience waiting for the show, voice direction of the event.........................suppose theres a chance the flame show got a bit of "assistance"?
Well if the truck is known to do it... why would it be so hard to recreate it on camera. Just get it up to temp.

I believe that exhaust tip is only for the diesel engines. It has those air vents to help cool the exhaust coming out prior to exit.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BowDown
Well if the truck is known to do it... why would it be so hard to recreate it on camera. Just get it up to temp.
Maybe hard, maybe not so hard. Just pointing out the obvious staging of the event with audience, truck operator and camera presant and speculating that things might have been helped along for dramatic effect.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
BowDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
Maybe hard, maybe not so hard. Just pointing out the obvious staging of the event with audience, truck operator and camera presant and speculating that things might have been helped along for dramatic effect.
For Fords sake I hope it was...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
gretbigun
New User
Good news or bad news, i just got word my KR 350 DRW that was held up in louisville for this fiasco has been delivered to New Orleans and is ready for pickup.......Now i wonder if i should go get it, or renege on the deal.....did find out they are offering an extra $1000 ford owner loyalty rebate if u own a ford now. The truck wasnt reprogrammed in louisville, they have to do it at the dealer tomorrow

Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds a whole lot like the old Ford Bronco II roll over testing done by ABC ( CBS, NBC?) When they couldn't make it roll over they rigged it so that it would roll over for the camera.
Did anybody listen to the truck? If some dumbA#$ is driving the truck when it sounds like that they deserve to burn. The fix should be to put a nozzle on the tail pipe and point it back at the driver. Serve him right for driving a truck that sounded like that.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badlar
Can someone with an 08 tell me what that black thing that appears to be attached to the exhaust tip is??

sorry to burst everyones bubbles but to me it just looks like the point of which the heat shield ends and the spare tire starts coming out past it, i'll watch the video again to look for it but from this angle thats what it appears to be

Quick Reply: 6.4L Flame Thrower Standard Equipment? - Video...