Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Wally-World "Super-TECH"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wally-World "Super-TECH"

Anybody ever used these products? Anybody know who actually manufactures them for Wal-Mart? They are very reasonably priced. For example;

Diesel engine rated 15W-40 motor oil for $7.88 a gallon ($1.97 a quart - not bad)

PS oil Filter $6.62 (REALLY good - compared to $13.78 for a crappy FRAM)

I opened the boxes for their filter and the FRAM filter and they didn't look like the same part. The Super TECH filter had an "exploded view" diagram of how it was made on the side and it looks like the filter media has a metal cap on the end opposite the threaded mounting hole. Looks like a pretty quality-made part. Anybody know what manufacturer of filter it REALLY is? At less than 7 bucks their PS filter costs about 2/3 the price of the smaller WIX brand 6.9 filter.

At those prices a complete oil change WITH the PS filter AND taxes comes in at under 30 bucks. Sure makes me want to give it a try...

Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
I did some snooping on the super tech oil and in a couple dozen search links, QuakerState/Penzoil came up as the manufacturer along with Warren Manufacturing, depending on location.

Debates ran from, I got 250 zillion miles on my_____...using supertech to I used it for a year and it ruined my engine and made 2ft of sludge that I had to scrape out. A few noted that it was the same base oil as QS but with an off the shelf add pack, others stated it was recycled oil.

I still don't know

Filters were said to made by Champion Labs and were better than Fram, not as good as a filter like Wix.

Oil and filter threads seem to start a lot of arguments so I'll argue for synthetic oil and good quality filters because I like the "makes me feel good" factor....LOL!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my personal experience with Super Tech oils in my gasser showed that the oil vaporizes easy. WIth the ST oil, I would have to add a quart at least before every oil change, and with a little higher priced name brand, like Trop Artic, I would not have to add oil. This was more than one vehicle I had issues with this way. FIlter wise, can't answer, but with regular changes, shouldn't be as big an issue. Check out some of the farm type stores, they generally have good oil on a discount, or many times even Rotella is discounted, although the Rotella at Wally World isn't overly high priced... wanna appreciate Wally World more? Price Rotella at a truck stop...

Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 AM
dwaymar
Senior User
Smile

jeepers i'll ask my shell rep today when he comes in i have used both of the idems you are asking about and had no issue with them but as stated i belive shell makes wally oil the filters some say baldwin aftrmarket but this is a question for the other reps we have

Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
I've been curious about their oil as well. The blue bottles have always said 'Chevron' to me.

I'm running their 15-40 in mine right now with one of their Motocraft filters. I hate to buy the house brand filters, but I have no doubt they are better than Frams.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
dnroberts
Cross-Country
I have ran the 15-40 in my diesels with no problems, 100,000 on the 7.3 PS, and now the 6.0 PS and my 7.3 IDI since 1994. The most I have ever added is up to a quart to the IDI - never or seldom to the PS. I used to use the oil filters (fram or motorcraft from Wal-Mart) but know I get them from Fleet Filter - Wix ones cheaper than the Frams from Wal-Mart. I will stay with the Super-Tech 15-40.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fellro86
......the Rotella at Wally World isn't overly high priced... wanna appreciate Wally World more? Price Rotella at a truck stop...
Well, if memory serves their Rotella was around $12 a gallon - maybe not terribly high, but not all that cheap IMHO either.

Compared to a truck stop it would probably look pretty cheap though....

Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Used to use the Super-Tech heavy duty oil in both our farm tractors. Now we use Rotella brand oil. We still use the Super-Tech though...great for oiling chains and joints along with freeing up sticky hydraulic cylinders on machinery

Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
brownieboy525
Senior User
i pay 8.50 for rotella at wally world. i always use the super tech diesel oil in my old ford diesel tractor and it had been running great. i used to work in a small engine shop and all we used was the super tech brand of oil and we never had any problems with it.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I pay around $8.50 as well for the Rotella at Wally World...

Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
ubahd00d
Freshman User
You can get 6/1 gallon jugs of Delo 400 at Costco for about $50.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
roamer37
Senior User
You can get 6/1 gallon jugs of Rottella at Sam's Club for just under $50

Old 08-05-2022, 06:27 PM
TomBrooklyn2
Trailering
Originally Posted by brownieboy525
i used to work in a small engine shop and all we used was the super tech brand of oil and we never had any problems with it.
I was wondering if diesel oil worked well in lawnmowers and other 4 stroke gasoline powered small engines, sticking with the specified viscosity, of course, which is usually straight 30W for small engines.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Should be fine Tom, like you said just stick with the same viscosity. I use 0w40 Mobil Delvac in my 7.3 year round, my Polaris 500, and a 9hp Honda engine on the log splitter my grandfather built. Never had issues, and don’t expect any.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-06-2022, 03:58 AM
Nathan Fuentes
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn2
I was wondering if diesel oil worked well in lawnmowers and other 4 stroke gasoline powered small engines, sticking with the specified viscosity, of course, which is usually straight 30W for small engines.
years ago (like this original thread) there was a guy on the thumper forums that would always do oil analysis on his oil from his dirt bikes. he tested the ST diesel oil and said it performed great. now i know that its a dirt bike but modern 4 stroke race bike are notorious for getting really hot and boiling over if not constantly moving(and some even then!!) so he tested them in extreme conditions. after his report on it i began running it not only in my idi but my 3/4 ton 3 speed 4x4 suburban. so far never had an issue.( i was a non synthetic rotella man prior to that report)... i think the main thing with oils is regular changes to include the filter...... N8

The following 2 users liked this post by Nathan Fuentes:

Quick Reply: Wally-World "Super-TECH"