Sponsored by:

Rear tailgate window Probs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 04:13 PM
kgw911
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen this one, the rear tailgate window on 92EB will go down fine but requires much effort to go back up, both key or dash button wont help. I just continue to mash the dash button repeatedly until it decides to raise..I'd hate to buy the motor but it sure sounds like it's sticking..any ideas on how to prove this out would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Old 05-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Bob_VT
Elder User

Remove your access cover and spray lithium grease in the gears. Use silicon on the tracks and rubber. Do a seach on this forum Search TAILGATE and you will see tons of tailgate solutions with links to various repairs.

Bob

Old 05-16-2002, 09:09 PM
mike_i
New User

when the switch in the dash is pressed, does the window go up slowly or just intermittently?
I had an '88 that the dash switch was dirty and because of it, the window didn't go up. Repeatedly pressing the switch would finally make contact and then the window would roll up normally.
If this sounds like what you have, pull the switch out and take it apart and clean the contacts with a nail file. Ford power window and door lock switches arc heavily in normal use and the contacts suffer for it. Filing them will remove the arc mark and make the switch work again.
I must have had my door lock and window switches out 100 times in the 9 years I had the truck, but never had to actually replace the switch - filing always worked.
My current rig, a '96 Bronco, is manual everything - no more filing for me.

Old 05-18-2002, 08:32 AM
marriedguy1
Senior User

This sounds like the exact problem I had with my 94 and it ended up being the dash switch was bad. I tried to clean it, but it started acting up again after a couple of months I just bought a new one from the dealer for about 22 bucks and haven't had to worry about in nearly 2 years.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:14 PM
kgw911
New User

When I press the dash button nothing happens, I just continue to press it until it finally raises, I havnt really noticed the speed by which it raises but it appears to raise as it would normally. When it is "stuck", neither the key or dash switches seem to work... Thanks everyone for the help, any more ideas are welcome..

Old 05-20-2002, 07:55 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

here's Chris's tg schematic:
http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/tailgatepowerwindowschematic.JPG

Old 05-20-2002, 07:59 PM
AlM
Posting Guru