Almost at my limit. Another electrical prob!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost at my limit. Another electrical prob!

Well my free 97 Explorer that Does run great has developed another problem. Today when I ewnt to start it, it would not turn over! It has all the juice in the world but it would just make a pretty significant click! I cleaned the batt terminals and tightend them up. Still nada, so what I did today was just touch a screwdriver to the solonoid contacts and it turned over a few times, then I tried my key and it started right up! So here is my list of issues:

1. Panic alarm occasionaly freaks out for no reason. So far I've disconnected the keyless entry pad on the drivers door and cleaned out the keychain remotes (factory). she's been quiet for a few days but that dont mean anything yet!

2. Headlights will come on and stay on by themselves. So far I've disconnected the fog lamps (they were all smashed anyway), I've replaced the headlight switch. Checked for the proper amp fuses in all the fuse box's. I replaced the headlight capsules and bulbs (prior owner hit a deer). None of that has fixed this problem yet. Although this board has given some more things to check that I have not yet.

3. Vehicle will not start "sometimes", just a click!. Recently it has not wanted to start "occasionialy" it will just click! It has a new battery. It has all the power, the door chime is very loud and pronounced! I jumped the solonoid and cranked it over, then used my key and it started! I just had the crank position sensor replaced 2 weeks ago!

The question is are these all connected by one common problem? Maybe there is a bad ground somewhere? Maybe it's three distinct problems!

The truck does have 160,000 miles on it!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you replaced the solenoid? That might be the solution to your starting problem.
It sounds like your solenoid is contacting, but not always able to switch the high current to your starter.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Yep, it sounds like a flaky starter relay.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Take care of that problem first, at least it should keep you on the road, and make the
next two easier to concentrate on.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
That makes sense! Should I replace the starter solonoid or a relay?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
If it will start with the solenoid jumped that is what I would replace. Also does it have
the original battery cables? If not, and they have just been replaced, make sure they
are 4 gauge wires, of the original length. That can also cause problems. But that
would be if the solenoid did not correct the problem.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
Originally Posted by fl1a
If it will start with the solenoid jumped that is what I would replace. Also does it have
the original battery cables? If not, and they have just been replaced, make sure they
are 4 gauge wires, of the original length. That can also cause problems. But that
would be if the solenoid did not correct the problem.
sounds good, thank you.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 235 Likes on 184 Posts
Sounds more like the wire going from the relay to the solenoid, where it attaches to the solenoid will loose connection and you will just get a click. Replace the crimp on connector at the solenoid and I think you will be fine. It may be a spade connector.

Here is an image of it.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...deTerminal.gif

Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
Subford thanks for the drawing, I'm at work right now but will be checking it this afternoon. Also fyi when I started it this morning of course the headlights came on before I touched the light ****! I had to disconnect the battery when I got to work!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
Update!

Tonight I was messing around with the solonoid and wiring, the wiring and connections seemed to be good. I went to NAPA and bought a solonoid for 20 big ones and put it in! I've probably started it and shut it off 5 or 6 times since and it's started every time It is way too early to be too excited! tommorrow morning will be the test!

Since I disconnected the keyless entry pad and cleaned the alarm remotes the truck has not gone into a random panic! Again it's only been a couple of days! Knock on wood.

the headlights are still at it! and it's getting ooooooold!

This is funny though. Tonight I hear this clicking sound every 5 seconds while the truck was idleing and every time it clicked the lights dimmed a small bit and the idle dropped! Yeup you guessed it, the A/C compressor was cycling! No the A/C was not on. Living in AK that was an easy fix . that explains why it was drinking so much damn go go juice! At least I hope it does!

I know this truck was free and it's worth it no matter what I say but boy is it beating the crap out of me mentally!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 AM
boatcop1
Senior User
Update

87 XLT told me to simply look at my rear view mirror to see if I have autolamp! Guess what? I do and it was set to max! Yes I'm a tool, I cannot believe how much I've been freaking out over this! I even replaced the headlight switch!

As of right now It seems I'm winning the battle although I'm quickly running out of accessories to unplug!

Thanks for all your help so far!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 AM
pbjohns
Senior User
Hang in there, every now and then , you need to stop and have a beer.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
I need to have some problems caused by functioning optional equipment.
Good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
boatcop1
Senior User
Originally Posted by pbjohns
Hang in there, every now and then , you need to stop and have a beer.
You can say that again!