Aerostar Ford Aerostar

MPG as an indicator of engine health

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM
LTCPipkin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile MPG as an indicator of engine health

I have spent several of my past weekends catching up on those little things I've neglected for many years. The old girl ('93 Aero 3.0L) has been faithful and I owe her some attention...

New IAC, O2 sensor, PCV, tranny filter, tranny gentle flush, Hayden tranny cooler, exhaust parts, Seafoam treatment in gas tank (20 gals - 2 cans), Seafoam treatment in oil pan (100 miles, then oil change). I've bought the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wire set for this weekend's task.

BUT, with all the work I've done to date, my miles per gallon has gone from 18 MPG to 26.2 MPG (at constant 70 mph highway). I get no OBD I codes or operating weirdness indicating anything else needs attention.

I have owned this Aero since mile #1 and to be honest, have not treated her well until now. So, I can't tell you (memory not so good) if I have EVER changed the plugs/wires/distributor in the past 201K miles. I have always approached car preventive maintenance with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Is it time for this old guy to change his evil Aero ways??

Thanks,
Michael
'93 Aero 3.0L
'94 Aero 4.0L

Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 AM
snooopy
New User
I think i might have to follow your lead, i bought my 91 RWD 3.0 auto with 263,000 k, it now has 326,000 k, from a colleague at work, he serviced it religously, i just changed to "if it ain't broke don't fix it " i'll get another 100,000 k & toss it attitude.

But in retrospect, its slowly falling apart & i know most things can be fixed if i just put a little sweat into it, for example;
-the driver-side window stopped working in the fully up position just b4 winter set in (changed both motorized switches 3 times) drivers motor finally crapped out !
dash lights stopped working 1 yr ago ! (tore dash apart 3 times & checked with vom)-looked at several possibilities & gave up (i drive mostly during the day) why bother LOL!
-running on synthetic since i took it over, - it had a knock (mild tho it be) at start-up, so i thot this prudent to save metal ware on start-up

-every fluid is leaking or being consumed

-i changed roters & pads upfront only to change the caliper near xmas cause both (if not all 4 brake pistons are leaking)- OH by the way-i have dash lights (warning indicators dash lights LOL !, "Brake & rear-antilock" "high-beams"-cause i was to lazy to rip the rear bumper off to change the front sealed Beams LAUGH if you like ,you know what i'm talking about! - so i just re-aimed the lights & run the highs (its always the lows that burn out-go figure!)

i could go on about other things, for now they escape my memory

Michael

91 AERO 3.0L RWD

Old 03-18-2007, 01:07 PM
B-Aerostar
Senior User
Unhappy

Yeah I wish I had done that" if it aint broke don't fix it ". I have changed so much on my 95 Aerostar that its one of the best looking but worse riding and gas mileage vehicle I have ever owned. I think the 20" wheels and extra stereo stuff is to much weight for my ride.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Originally Posted by snooopy
I think i might have to follow your lead, i bought my 91 RWD 3.0 auto with 263,000 k, it now has 326,000 k, from a colleague at work, he serviced it religously, i just changed to "if it ain't broke don't fix it " i'll get another 100,000 k & toss it attitude.

But in retrospect, its slowly falling apart & i know most things can be fixed if i just put a little sweat into it, for example;
-the driver-side window stopped working in the fully up position just b4 winter set in (changed both motorized switches 3 times) drivers motor finally crapped out !
dash lights stopped working 1 yr ago ! (tore dash apart 3 times & checked with vom)-looked at several possibilities & gave up (i drive mostly during the day) why bother LOL!
-running on synthetic since i took it over, - it had a knock (mild tho it be) at start-up, so i thot this prudent to save metal ware on start-up

-every fluid is leaking or being consumed

-i changed roters & pads upfront only to change the caliper near xmas cause both (if not all 4 brake pistons are leaking)- OH by the way-i have dash lights (warning indicators dash lights LOL !, "Brake & rear-antilock" "high-beams"-cause i was to lazy to rip the rear bumper off to change the front sealed Beams LAUGH if you like ,you know what i'm talking about! - so i just re-aimed the lights & run the highs (its always the lows that burn out-go figure!)

i could go on about other things, for now they escape my memory

Michael

91 AERO 3.0L RWD
Snooopy, 325,000kms...... not bad. I've only got 263k on mine but it does not use a drop of oil from anywhere. It also does not have any brake pistons leaking either ( but it does use rotors & pads ;-). The headlamps on mine are bulbs (96). Your driver side window problem might be the wiring harness (mine went about 1 year back).
Whats that about ripping off the rear bumper to get at the high beams ????
Anyhow, she deserves a bit of TLC, .... go for it

Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Originally Posted by LTCPipkin
I have spent several of my past weekends catching up on those little things I've neglected for many years. The old girl ('93 Aero 3.0L) has been faithful and I owe her some attention...

New IAC, O2 sensor, PCV, tranny filter, tranny gentle flush, Hayden tranny cooler, exhaust parts, Seafoam treatment in gas tank (20 gals - 2 cans), Seafoam treatment in oil pan (100 miles, then oil change). I've bought the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wire set for this weekend's task.

BUT, with all the work I've done to date, my miles per gallon has gone from 18 MPG to 26.2 MPG (at constant 70 mph highway). I get no OBD I codes or operating weirdness indicating anything else needs attention.

I have owned this Aero since mile #1 and to be honest, have not treated her well until now. So, I can't tell you (memory not so good) if I have EVER changed the plugs/wires/distributor in the past 201K miles. I have always approached car preventive maintenance with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Is it time for this old guy to change his evil Aero ways??

Thanks,
Michael
'93 Aero 3.0L
'94 Aero 4.0L
I had the opposite problem, i changed a bunch of depletables & the MPG actually decreased (cant quite figure that out). However the engine now runs like the proverbial rocket!! I can only think the motor was running a bit lean due to EEC compensation for O2 sensor response or something such-like. That said it may be just due to cold weather winter driving, I've always noticed a drop in fuel economy in the cold months (I'm in Canada also).
Would you say the Seafoam treatment had any effect on your fuel economy? I might try that since it seems to be well recommended.

All the best, Aeroman.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
26mpg is something I never got, even when the van was brand new!!! It's excellent gas mileage, Michael. I think with the gas prices now, you'll gain back all that cost of maintenance in no time at all.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I got a pretty consistent 20-21 MPG in the '89 shorty (4.10:1 rear). In the glovebox of the '93, I just found the original sales papers (sold for $21k in 1993) and window sticker, with the EPA rating of 17/23 MPG City/Highway (3.0l, 3.73:1 rear).

Seems like in some long-ago MPG thread, the folks with the 4.0l were getting better mileage on average.

Last edited by asavage; 03-18-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: tiiiiiipo
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
VanGo
Elder User
My $.02. There's a balance between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the urge to "improve" performance. I thought my then-new Bosch Platinum plugs would enhance my Aero. Instead, after spending more time and money with cleaning the MAF, Seafoaming the engine etc, I've learned that the new plugs must have been the culprit of all my pinging on regular fuel.
With the Autolite Double Plats recommended on the forum, I can run 87 octane again without the dangerous pinging that forced me to 89 octane. That will pay for itself soon.
Moral of the story: It's good to be a pioneer now and then but don't over do it. Listen to the sages that have been down that road before and at least do the recommended maintenance or poor performance will creep up on you.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 AM
LTCPipkin
Junior User
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks guys, your advice/recommendations are always on target.

I will go ahead and change the plugs, wires, and distro cap/rotor this weekend...since I already purchased these parts. Also, I can't stop that nagging feeling that 201K miles is long enough on these orginal plugs, wires, and rotor...

Michael
'93 Aero 3.0L 2WD Ext
'94 Aero 4.0L 2WD Ext

Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
snooopy
New User
Red face

well; i can't says i know what my fuel milage is, but if i hazard a guess, i'd say 17-23 mpg is about right> less for the in city actually esp. in winter !

anyone know how big the tank in a 3.0 liter auto 91 ext is ? it's been a while since i filled it all the way up !

i think i have 3.73 : 1 rearend ratio & i kinda like the rear anti-lock, but i'd never go antilock all the way, i nearly piled up a older ford extended i borrowed , i came within 6 inchs of someone else's back bumper at an intersection - thinking i was driving my old tempo!

Oh-- & about taking off the rear bumper to change headlights, i was only JOKING, but i striped the phillips head screws & work-hardened them trying to drill them out, so now in order to change them i need to pull the grill & flex & pull the bezel's & unplug & twist the inner plastic shrowd & twist & pull the headlight out, - - oh & make sure its unplugged b4 you do all that & test the headlight b4 you put it all back together , sware & argue with yourself lots , all while holding a flashlight in your mouth so you can line up those hard to reach screws that you keep dropping "Whew"

Michael
'91 Aero 3.0L RWD Ext

Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by VanGo
I've learned that the new plugs must have been the culprit of all my pinging on regular fuel.

With the Autolite Double Plats recommended on the forum, I can run 87 octane again without the dangerous pinging that forced me to 89 octane.
You & me both, on this one. I had a really bad No. 1 plug, melted electrode (Autolite platinum). When I changed out the plugs, I was able to drop from Premium to Regular again. This just two months ago.