General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Unofficial Fte Garden Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:13 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I build long beds in my garden. My plans this yr are to build 3 more 4x16 ft beds. I like the elevated beds much better than just planting groung level. You can plant lots more on a well done bed.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What're you putting in?......

(I'm getting outnumbered by the "elevated-bed" planters......)

Old 03-18-2007, 12:21 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just built a 3 x 3 raised bed out of construction scrap wood that was going to the dump. Saves me some space for the dump run. Just a small start, Planted 6 Jalapenos, 6 Anaheim Chilies and a Green bell pepper. Going to pick up some red and yellow bells, and some Habaneros this week. Want to try making my own hot sauce.
Looking for a good deal on RR ties in L.A. Planning on a 6ft x 24ft bed (it'll be pretty deep too, as we have a pig that'll eat anything we put in the ground). With that one it'll be tomatoes, corn, basil, transplant the peppers, and whatever other veggies come to mind. SoCal weather's been in the 70s-mid 80s lately. It's like summer even...
We already have a massive key lime tree (WAY more limes than we know what to do with), a blood orange tree (Too bad the pig gets EVERY one when they fall!) and a Lemon tree.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Great job, Taylor...You can't go wrong with peppers and tomatos......And you've got the herbs planned too......I'm kinda surprised about the pigs and the oranges.....We raised pigs back when I was a kid, and we couldn't pay them to eat any oranges.....

I'll have to check on the practicality of planting a lemon tree on my property......Not sure what climate (I'm guessing tropical or sub-tropical) they require, or if a freeze would kill them.......

Always planning.....always planning......

Old 03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781

I'll have to check on the practicality of planting a lemon tree on my property......Not sure what climate (I'm guessing tropical or sub-tropical) they require, or if a freeze would kill them.......

Always planning.....always planning......
My wife (the master gardener) checked on the lemon tree. Sorry to say but no you can't grow them. They are more susceptable to cold weather than orange trees.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:14 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most citrus can handle a few hours below freezing, but that's about it. A lemon will do surprisingly well in a big pot, though, even bearing fruit with reasonable care. Although you can buy a lemon anywhere, the aroma of the blossoms is worth trying to grow one. The different citrus blossoms actually smell like their fruit- oranges are 'orangey', lemons are 'lemony', etc.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Thanks for letting me down gently, guys.......(haha)....

Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
have several gardens, just got 14 inches of snow over the weekend, alittle more snow for tonite and a low of 6-F degrees tomorrow nite, so no gardening here anytime soon.
in the main garden there will be Giant pumpkins and giant green squash, in the smaller gardens there will be corn,field pumpkins,peppers (hot and bell) tomatoes (cherry and beefstake) zucchini, yellow crookneck squash,butternut squash,long gourds,broccoli,cukes.
plus i have apple trees,pear,plum and cherry.
also strawberries.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Do you have time for a 9 to 5, Hawk.?......(haha)....

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im goin to make a 1/2 acre garden this year since i have 5 acres here.ill have alot of waisted space i know but im goin to make life easy for my self.1st off ill plow it all under(used to be a hay feild) disc it all up 2-3 times and make my rows with a 4row corn cultivater.the cultivater will hill my rows up and make weedin alot easyer.ill put in corn,peas,potato's,onions,cucumbers,jalipino's,pum kins,squash,what ever i room for after that.whats nice about doin it this way i can play with my favorate old tractor(in sig)and some of my old equipment ive collected since the move to wi.and still save on the grocery bill

Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I wouldn't call that wasted space, wizzard........It's amazing the amount of food you can grow in a simple 12' X 30' plot, let alone 1/2 acre......You've STILL probably got enough food there to sell some at the local Farmer's Market........

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
twayneb
Senior User
Not even on the radar yet. Don't start planting until last couple weeks of May. But I have a ton of prep work to do earlier since I couldn't do it in the fall. The only things I can get to grow now seem to be lettuce, tomatoes and radishes. Peas have been bad for 10 years so gave up. Oops, onions pretty good if I use wood ash to keep down those little white worms.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
well cmpd i do a lot of bbq'ing and i do alot of onions and spuds,corn on my pit i brought back from tx so ill probably use most of my vegy's.whats goin to be nice is i can hook up the cultivater and run it down the rows and ill have fluffy soil and no weeds!!i also have an artetan(sp?) well for my house and it puts of about 5 galons a minute extra that go's into a pond. i plan on putin a T on the end of the pipe and runin a line over to the garden.just turn it on when needed.plus the garden is kinda on the side of a hill so the run off wil go back to the pond

Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scole250
April 15th baby! Maters, cukes, squash and a yet to be determined special guest vegie. Whatever I can fit on my 20x20 patch.

Every year my wife does the same thing. "When are WE going to plant the garden!" she always asks excitedly. Yeah, right. I rent the tiller, till the garden and buy the plants. "Ready to plant them?" I ask. "I've got errands to do today" she says. "Let's do it tomorrow".

Next day..."Ready to plant the tomatoes?" I ask again. "Sure, as soon as I get back from the mall" says her. So I plant them too. Oh well, keeps me out of trouble, for a while any way.

Sound familiar?
Yes, Yes it does!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Got my 2nd tilling done about a week & half ago.....Got it worked over good......Went to the Compost Central and bought a heaping bedload (huge scoop) of good garden compost (for $22!!!) and spread it and tilled it in..........About 25 to 30 wheelbarrow loads........Worked it in good, and I have a good, rich dark soil to work with.

Planning on doing the final tilling and starting the rows and the planting next week (about the 22nd or 23rd).......depending on the weather of course.......

Trying to figure out why I didn't go the "Compost Central" route in the past......For one thing, it got me enough compost for the garden (and then some).....AND....it was cheap!.......Figured it out......You can get maybe 4 regular bags of store-bought cow manure or mushroom compost into a wheelbarrow......Figure $2 to $3/bag......Let's say $2.50........X4 is $10 per wheelbarrow load.......and I did (let's say) 25 loads..........That's $250 I would have paid at Home Depot or Lowes (or even more...depending on the price and the fact I low-balled the number of loads).........And I got it at Compost Central for $22?..........1/10 the price!!!

Can't wait to start.

Quick Reply: Unofficial Fte Garden Thread