1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ksmith203's weekend Progress Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ksmith203's weekend Progress Report

Well I did not get as far as I would have liked to. First I was sent the wrong brake lines so I decided to replace all metal lines. Everyone one on here advised me to do it as well. With only a single master cylinder, stopping has to be a priority in a big heavy truck. I went ahead and removed all old metal brake lines since I did not have the correct rubber lines to put on. While doing that you guys said I needed to check the wheel cylinders because if one failed, again I would have not brakes. I could not get the three flathead screws to come out of the brake drum so I removed the whole axle. This was easy thanks to my neighbor Story Motors. Wade his brother had the 3" socket to take off the retaining nuts. Once the axles where out, I could then slide off the drums for a visual inspection of the brake shoes and wheel cylinders. The brake shoes look new, so that was a plus. Next, I pulled the wheel cylinders and covers off. The covers were rusty so I beed blasted them and repainted with engine enamel incase heat built up from the brakes. I then used a press to remove the insides of the wheel cylinders. The was a little build up from inactivity more that anything. Story told me to hone the insides out so I could decide if I needed to buy new cylinders or just rebuild kits. Once honed, The wheel cylinders were fine so I ordered rebuild kt from NAPA. I started to install prefabbed brake lines, but I did not like the look because they were to long( too **** I guess ) so I took the one I installed back off and went to NAPA again and bought 1/4 inch bulk lines with the fittings. I then beed blasted the outsides of the cylinders to clean them up. I know no one will see them all rusty, but I new they were. I rinsed them off used a air chuck to blow them dry and painted them with the same black engine enamel so they looked good. The new rebuild kits will be in tomorrow. I tried to order the axles gaskets, but napa was not able to cross the number dueller gave me. I called job lots and he has them. I will order these tomorrow it was the end of the day, but Ralph made sure he had them for me. Great guy at Job Lots. I then remeasured the length of the brake lines and cut the three lengths I needed. They were 86", 44", and 67" long. I went back to Story Motors to use his double flaring kit, but the last person he loaned it to lost some parts. I am going to replace them for him He has been great to me, letting me use his shop when ever I need to. So thats what I spent my last two days on. Saturday has to be more productive.

I will say that on Tuesday, I had an 8 am bkfast mtg, a noon lunch mtg which did not end until 3.00 pm so most of the day was shot anyway.

Today I had a 10.00 am meeting until 11:00 am, had to take my truck in for warranty repairs at 1:30 , then meet with corp people from 3:00 until 4:30 pm.

I have decided that next Tuesday and Wed if anyone needs me they will have to come to my garage to see me. I won't make Nat's at this pace.

Saturday I will have the brakes in and completed and put the front clip on if it takes me until 5:00 am the next morning. I will update you in Saturday night Chat.

Kevin

Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You Go Kevin!!!!

Keep up the work and you'll make to the Nats with no problems.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah thats a lot you did wow keep up with the good work

Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Battle plans are forever changed once the actual enemy has been met, hence the term 'the Fog of Battle".

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,934 Posts
Well said Colonel! Everytime I charge into the breech my battle plans change with every step.

Sounds like you made quite a bit of progress Kevin. Don't over do it, I'd hate to have you out there in the middle of th enight and have a crazy accident because you are exhausted..........neighbors might not find you for a week

A big thumbs up to ya
Bobby

Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin

You are one dedicated dude. I like the way you think