Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front Bumper's Hole Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Front Bumper's Hole Plugs

My front bumper has two little black-plastic hole plugs like pictured below (see blue arrow).

Though not absolutely sure, I believe this to be the original bumper.

Anybody have a clue what the holes are/were for, and what model trucks they came on?

My problem is that this bumper does not have the "lip", nor holes, to mount the fog-light assemblies.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
My front bumper has two little black-plastic hole plugs like pictured below (see blue arrow).

Though not absolutely sure, I believe this to be the original bumper.

Anybody have a clue what the holes are/were for, and what model trucks they came on?
The bumper itself appears to be a stock OEM bumper, although those holes appear to be added by a previous owner.
My problem is that this bumper does not have the "lip", nor holes, to mount the fog-light assemblies.
If you talking about OEM fog lights, then they do not have a lip to mount to. There is a bracket which holds the lamp and it mounts with 3 bolts to the backside the bumper.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cgl
The bumper itself appears to be a stock OEM bumper, although those holes appear to be added by a previous owner.
There are no irregularities in the chroming, which extends through the holes. The bumper was chromed after the holes were punched. They are original with the piece.

Originally Posted by cgl
If you talking about OEM fog lights, then they do not have a lip to mount to. There is a bracket which holds the lamp and it mounts with 3 bolts to the backside the bumper.
Yes, I have the plastic bracket attached to the lamp assemblies. The three bolts you mentioned go through three holes in the bumper's top and bottom "lips". I have checked both another 2000 F-Series, and a 2000 EX. Both have the lip and three holes. Mine doesn't.

Though I suspect it IS a stock Ford bumper, it WASN'T supposed to come on an F-350.

Anybody got any ideas?

Pop

Old 03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Snow plow prep pkg????

Old 03-12-2007, 03:06 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I have never seen those holes before on an OEM bumper, though it looks like an OEM bumper. It looks like the holes where drilled, but the chrome inside the hole doesnt make since?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Could it possibly be an accessory on the Excursions that used that space behind there? That is all i could think of. I have never seen those holes on any truck, ever.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you for sure that mine does not have those holes. Very strange.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ambulance prep package perhaps, that is where our 3 2000's have the front flashers before they started putting them behind the grill in 02. But that would mean it is an OEM bumper spec'ed for a 2nd party builder. Not sure how that would end up on your truck though.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
If it was an ambulance prepped truck, wouldn't the sticker on the inside of the driver's door tell you? I know mine definately says it's not approved for an ambulance.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If someone got a replacement bumper from a 3rd party builder or salvage they could put it on a regular truck

Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Alan,

I'll bet you've hit on how it happened. The holes must have been for lights.

The other thing is the lack of those three small holes (in the "lip") that the fog lamp brackets bolt to.

I'm believing this is a bumper that was prepped for emergency service and got replaced in the field somewhere.

Thanks all!

Pop

Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Well, this mystery is finally solved!

I met with Carlos "countrycar" last Friday. What a NICE rig he has! Check his sig line for the details, but a BB turbo and big nozzles are just the beginning of what is making him some horsepower!! He needs it, as he not only hauls around a toyhauler, but various excavation equipment on a trailer that alone weighs almost what our rigs do. Heavy-duty, indeed!

Anyway, we were looking over each other's trucks, and when it came to pointing out the aforementioned holes in my front bumper, he asked me to take a better look to insure there were really through-plated holes. It turns out I was mistaken, and these holes had been drilled by the previous owner to mount a reinforcing bracket for a "bull bar".

He's got one on his truck and a few different styles laying around his "back-lot", and when we compared a couple of their mounting styles, BINGO, there it was!

Mystery solved. Fuzzy old eyes....

It still doesn't explain why I don't have either the "lip" nor the mounting holes for the factory fog-lights on my front bumper. Maybe it's an aftermarket bumper after all!

Thanks again, Countrycar!

Pop

Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It still doesn't explain why I don't have either the "lip" nor the mounting holes for the factory fog-lights on my front bumper. Maybe it's an aftermarket bumper after all!

Thanks again, Countrycar!

Pop
think the lip only came on bumpers that had fog lights,mine don't have lip orplace to boly factory fog lights

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Mine didn't come with fogs from the factory, yet the bumper still had the lip and holes to mount up the factory fogs - which fit the holes perfectly fine. The mystery remains...

Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one with "no lips"!! ;-)))

Heck, I'll GLUE 'em in (or something...)

Pop

Quick Reply: Front Bumper's Hole Plugs