Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4x4 front hubs.... dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
clydesride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 front hubs.... dumb question

Hi all, I just had to replace the front left 4x4 hub on my toy. I had it done at the dealer as it was only -8 or so outside and a little too chilly to do it myself.... here comes the dumb q part: I was wondering if it was re-buildable by myself or if it was a "consumable"part as so many are.... found out through you guys it can be re-packed, I assume before it falls off of the mount and wrecks itself. I even considered grabbing the old one and having an exploratory done but it occurred to me... ready for dumb right?....these things are only held onto the "frame" of the truck by 4 bolts! I see 8 lugs studs on the outer bit but only 4?? What gives here? I guess my feeble mind can't see how robust it really is or something but.... why is it only held on with 4 bolts?
I plan to try to re-pack the right side and do the rears in spring thanks to the guzzle pages... some P.M. might have saved the first one I imagine.
Sorry to ramble on forever, just wondered if you knew?

Dave

Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No such thing as a Dumb question here on FTE, we all are learning, all the time. We all were uneducated at one time.

For the hub, i am guessing you are talking about the unit bearing hub? That part is not readily serviceable, when it poops out you get a new one. However the hub lockers are easily removable and i have taken mine apart. I do not know if you can get parts for them however. For the actual hubs, they are attached to the axle tube flanges, with four very large, and robust bolts to a pretty thick flange. It's built strong enough.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM
clydesride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Kris, I was just wondering.... kind of weird to have a non-rebuildable thing on it but, I am but a lowly electrical guy, what do I know?... lol
I was thinking of the warn manual hub mod but might stick with stock, if I stay on top of maint for them they are more convenient.... I assume you save fuel if you don't leave the hubs locked all the time?

Dave