General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

DST... a few weeks early... guess we'll get to change the puter clocks 2x

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
SPL Tech
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jroehl
SPL, the idea of DST is that it shifts an hour of daylight to the end of the day, when it is ostensibly more useful to us, and we aren't then engaging in activities around the house requiring us to turn a whole bunch of lights on.

Never mind that we have to have those same lights on in the morning, then...

Jason
Nothing shifts. The amount of time the sun is up still remains the same. Just because they say its an hour later does not mean it is...

Old 03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Around here, in the late spring / early summer, the sky is bright at 4:30 am. Sun comes up shortly afterwards. Can you imagine the same brightness at 3:30 am, while you're trying to sleep? It's bad enough at 4:30.

Anyway, we didn't have many clocks to change. Just the one in my truck, wife's car, microwave, stove, alarm clock, and watch. The laptop, and both our cell phones changed by themselves. But, even though it is a hassle that takes less than 5 minutes to fix, I'd rather wait the extra 3 weeks.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:00 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SPL Tech
Nothing shifts. The amount of time the sun is up still remains the same. Just because they say its an hour later does not mean it is...
It does shift--relative to the clock. Most people have a set schedule in their "day", so if they get home from work at 6PM, they now have one hour more of daylight after work (and one less before). That's the "shift". I didn't say that the number of hours of daylight changed.

Jason

Old 03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
It does shift--relative to the clock. Most people have a set schedule in their "day", so if they get home from work at 6PM, they now have one hour more of daylight after work (and one less before). That's the "shift". I didn't say that the number of hours of daylight changed.

Jason
Still pointless either way. Like already said, this means AC will be ran harder that extra hour everyday and when there's more light in the evening people tend to get out and do more. That results in an increase fuel usage. This is nothing more then an example of when the Gov thinks they need to do "something".

Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by OSin86
This is nothing more then an example of when the Gov thinks they need to do "something".
Well I for one think it is "something" beneficial and am glad it occurs. We get longer afternoons in the summer since I get home the same time year round. It is nice to have that extra hour of daylight to get stuff done around the house. In the winter time when we are back on stnadard time, the kiddies don't have to go to school in darkness as they would if we stayed on daylight saving time.
Sounds like a win-win.

DST also helps my plane rental business since more daylight after "traditional" work hours means more time for the plane to fly. That equals money in my pocket.

JMO of course.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OSin86
Still pointless either way. Like already said, this means AC will be ran harder that extra hour everyday and when there's more light in the evening people tend to get out and do more. That results in an increase fuel usage. This is nothing more then an example of when the Gov thinks they need to do "something".
Read my earlier posts. That's essentially what I was saying.

Ben Franklin was generally an intelligent, wise individual. DST was one of his brain farts.

Jason

Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You all have your opinions, I have mine too. DST is just plain right. Having moved to Indiana back in 93 the experience of not having DST was foreign. It's true we're way west in the time zone so we probably have some of the longest lasting summer light there is. Given that I don't leave Indy to come home until 6:30 or so, I'm glad for it as I can manage to get a few extra things done.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Read my earlier posts. That's essentially what I was saying.

Jason
LMAO, easy now.......... don't pat yourself on the back too hard!
Next time I'll quote you instead of writing a general statement about how things are already said.

Just for the record, I think DST should be year round. I was playing devil's advocate but in all seriousness I hate how we change clocks twice a year. It not hard or anything but I think it's stupid and I do think it's the gov's way of doing "something". Tractors have lights so we don't need it for farming and if it's for the kids then start school an hour later instead of making the country change its schedule for winter.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It is also a plan for more commerce during the time vs light thing.

Nobody I know gets up at 6:00 am to go grocery or tool shopping but extended hours to 11:00 PM brings in the 10:00 pm shoppers