6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Can this be done to the PCM!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Can this be done to the PCM!

I have an 04 X and as my sig says I have mods. Now my X has not had any flashes since I have owned it (April 05) and I want to keep the current program (don't know what flavor it is) because of the aggressive T/H mode. So if I buy a replacement PCM (that ain't gonna be cheap!) and put it in before I take it too the dealer, that should have the latest flashes, not show that I have a tuner and everyone should be happy. Right? Then when I get it home, I can swap back to my original PCM and reconnect my tuner. The only thing that concerns me is the vehicle specific information that may be on the PCM. Is there any?

Now if I do this I'm sure that Ford will probably smell a rat since there will be no record that the PCM has been changed by a dealer and I'm currently delinquent on two flashes that I know about. I don't care! I just want to retain the aggressive T/H program and once it is gone, according to this forum, there is no going back.

Bottom line: since it appears from several posts that Ford is hell bent on flashing the PCM no matter what you tell them, I thought this would be a way to have the best of both worlds.

Comments?

DSMMH

Old 03-08-2007, 07:05 AM
EARLYTIMES
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong forum for Excursions, but wait awhile, I'm sure that if Long Island Perfomance Diesel chimes in they can answer your question fully. Them boys know all about that stuff!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:17 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, this is the 6.0 Forum....not exclusive to F-250 / 350 / 450 etc....

Excursions are fine here with 6.0.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchasing a new PCM will protect you from Ford being able to reflash the one you remove and will protect your tuner; however the new PCMs come blank and will not function until they have been flashed via a Ford IDS system (which is proprietary to the dealership).

Best thing you can do at this point (depending upon the reason it is going in for warranty work) is to cut the flash programming signal wire going to the OBDII port- this will allow them to view data for diagnostics but will prevent them from being able to reflash the truck. Back "in the day", I installed a switch on mine routed to and hidden inside the heater core box where it could not be reflashed without removing the glove compartment and flipping the switch.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Purchasing a new PCM will protect you from Ford being able to reflash the one you remove and will protect your tuner; however the new PCMs come blank and will not function until they have been flashed via a Ford IDS system (which is proprietary to the dealership).

Best thing you can do at this point (depending upon the reason it is going in for warranty work) is to cut the flash programming signal wire going to the OBDII port- this will allow them to view data for diagnostics but will prevent them from being able to reflash the truck. Back "in the day", I installed a switch on mine routed to and hidden inside the heater core box where it could not be reflashed without removing the glove compartment and flipping the switch.
Matt....thanks for the info. I guess it is hard to find a dealer to flash a new PCM and give it to me to install. I have 45,000 miles (knock on wood) on mine since I bought it as a buy back with 13,000 miles on it. I have not had 1 problem with it or has it been back to the dealer for anything. I guess I have one of the good ones considering all the mods. But I don't romp on it all the time and I take very good care of the X. I hear a lot of good things about the new flash that eliminates the EBP (reduces turbo lag and easier starting) and the one that preheats the injectors. But I really like the engine braking my current flash gives me when I'm towing. I guess I will just bite the bullet and get the flashes done.

DSMMH

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DSMMH
Matt....thanks for the info. I guess it is hard to find a dealer to flash a new PCM and give it to me to install. I have 45,000 miles (knock on wood) on mine since I bought it as a buy back with 13,000 miles on it. I have not had 1 problem with it or has it been back to the dealer for anything. I guess I have one of the good ones considering all the mods. But I don't romp on it all the time and I take very good care of the X. I hear a lot of good things about the new flash that eliminates the EBP (reduces turbo lag and easier starting) and the one that preheats the injectors. But I really like the engine braking my current flash gives me when I'm towing. I guess I will just bite the bullet and get the flashes done.

DSMMH
What kind of tuner/module are you currently running?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:45 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
What kind of tuner/module are you currently running?
Juice with Attitude

Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Matt, I have a spare 2004 6.0L engine sitting in my buddies shop that came complete including Wiring, Transmission and Transfer Case. Maybe, since it's a 2004 as well, I could sell him the computer off it and he could switch it out? It came out of a wrecked Pickup, not sure what model. I only want it for the spare block, heads, turbo, tranny and case so I really have no use for the computer. What do you think? It's not a blank since it came out of a running truck.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 6L PWR
Matt, I have a spare 2004 6.0L engine sitting in my buddies shop that came complete including Wiring, Transmission and Transfer Case. Maybe, since it's a 2004 as well, I could sell him the computer off it and he could switch it out? It came out of a wrecked Pickup, not sure what model. I only want it for the spare block, heads, turbo, tranny and case so I really have no use for the computer. What do you think? It's not a blank since it came out of a running truck.
It depends on the calibration number.

If you can, get me the 4 digit code off the side of the processor.

Likewise, you too DSMMH...get the 4 digit code (3 letters and a number) off of the side of the box and I'll tell you if the calibrations are compatible.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
cabinetmaker00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's threads like these that make me love this site .

Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster

Likewise, you too DSMMH...get the 4 digit code (3 letters and a number) off of the side of the box and I'll tell you if the calibrations are compatible.
I'll get it Monday. It's at my buddies shop and he's already closed and gone for the weekend.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic

Matt......the code on my processor is: HAY1

Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Matt......the code on my processor is: HAY1
Hey Matt and DSMMH, sorry, didn't get the chance to grab it yesterday. I have the computer in hand and it shows TBS6.

Let us know Matt. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
6L PWR.......I notice you have a JOBE intake. How do you like or dislike it?

DSMMH

Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
6L PWR.......I notice you have a JOBE intake. How do you like or dislike it?
I like it so far. I like it better with the newer 8-ply than the original 4-ply. I've had the engine apart and didn't notice any dusting problems or the like that everyone talks about these oiled filters having. How long have you had yours? How do you like it?