1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vacum Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacum Windshield Wipers

Is there a way to make vacum wipers work better. I plan on putting a electric motor in one day but for now is there a way to make them work better. A guy told my you can put a drop of oil in the line and that would make them work better. Can you do this. I can turn them on and they stop when they are striaght up and down. They will go back down good but just don't want to good up good. And I need some better wipers, do I have to order them out of a parts book or is there a wiper I can buy at the auto parts store that I can get or that I can cut to fit. Thanks for any help. Scott

Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I have heard you can take the vacuum motor apart and clean them out. It is said they work a little better after that. I have not driven mine in the rain to say if it does or not though.

Mid-fifty sells an electric conversion and there are some articles around here somewhere on salvage yard ones. Mine will stay vacuum for now.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried Rain-X? That stuff is amazing. I'm running vacuum wipers on my 48 but only for state inspection. I will never use them in the rain. I have used Rain-X for years and find that it works better than wipers especially on older vehicles with vacuum wipers.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM
fifty2f1
Junior User
Originally Posted by restoringmy46
Is there a way to make vacum wipers work better. I plan on putting a electric motor in one day but for now is there a way to make them work better. A guy told my you can put a drop of oil in the line and that would make them work better. Can you do this. I can turn them on and they stop when they are striaght up and down. They will go back down good but just don't want to good up good. And I need some better wipers, do I have to order them out of a parts book or is there a wiper I can buy at the auto parts store that I can get or that I can cut to fit. Thanks for any help. Scott

I use Marvel Mystery Oil, that seems to work best for me. Heard that WD40 is good too but haven't tried that. Just shoot some in the vacuum line and repeat several times as needed. It sure helped my old 41 ford out.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One fellow I met had taken the passenger wiper off. When I asked him why, he said it was so that the wipers worked when driving up a hill. "The passenger don't need to see. They ain't drivin'"

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't take the wiper chamber apart unless you are ready for it to spring-apart.Mine did,and I had a heck of a time getting it back together.It is sealed and wasn't even dirty inside.I wish I wouldn't have opened it up.I just bought a electric setup.That will be next.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go with the Marvel Mystery and or the WD40. Do it several times. Take the wiper arms off for less resitance and faster flush.