Sponsored by:

replacing the oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 07:10 AM
rpampani
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post replacing the oil pan gasket

I have an 87 with the 300-6. It's been leaking oil at the oil pan gasket for several years. I have not replaced it because several different sources over the years have said that the engine must be pulled up a couple of inches to get the pan out. Too cost prohibitive. Better to let it drip onto a cardboard on the garage floor. However, it get's a little worse each year and now it sprays back over other things while driving. Has anyone replaced the gasket without pulling the engine? It looks like the pan can be dropped enough to slide the gasket out/in. I would appreciate any advice/experience.

87 & 96 Bronco

Old 09-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Pilotrick
Senior User

How is it too costly to lift the motor a couple of inches? You un bolt the motor mounts and use a jack to lift the motor up. You put a 2x4 where the front of the shaft is and use the jack to lift it up and hold it up while you remove the pan. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Rick
86 302 EFI, bored 60 over, AOD,
Headman Headers, Flowmaster 40 series,
2 inch dual exhaust, MSD ignition

Old 09-26-2002, 10:03 AM
rpampani
New User

Thanks! That may work, but after 15 years with this vehicle and past experience, I rather disturb as little as possible on the vehicle that I've never had a problem with. Don't really want to unbolt the engine at all. And then, how far will be enough before hoses, wires, tubes, air intakes, etc. have to be removed as well. If it gets any worse I suppose I will have to take your suggestion, but until then, I guess I will live with the leak as long as possible. As I have progressed in age, I have come to like garage floors less and less. The less work the better. I was just wondering if anyone had attempted to replace the gasket without moving the engine.

Old 09-26-2002, 03:35 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a '90 F-150 with a 300 that I replaced the pan gasket on. I did not have to raise the motor at all.

When you remove all the pan bolts, the pan should drop down about two or three inches. That should be enough room to pull the old gasket out and tuck a new one in. It might take a little while to get it in there right, but it should be easier than raising a motor.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:07 PM
rpampani
New User

Andy - Thank you! That's what I was looking for, someone that might have done that. I have been procrastinating about trying that, even though it looked possible. I appreciate the info.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:40 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts