ok, what is that miss?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 08:44 PM
ftrucktough
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, what is that miss?

Hey guys!

I managed to get all of my exhaust removed tonight from the first cat back on my bronco. I didn't have time to get anything on it though tonight.

anyway, i have had a slight surge kind of condition around 35-38MPH, when cruising locked up in 3rd gear with E4OD. With the exhaust off, I could hear the engine miss at that speed. WHY?! I am stumped! I even put in a TPS! ugh, any ideas? It's been tuned up, coil to plugs. TB is clean, as well as IAC, and i performed a BG fuel system cleaning with it at work (dodge dealer, )

any ideas would be nice, thanx guys!!!! I'll let ya know how my flowmaster sounds after i get everything on.

Gary

Old 10-01-2002, 10:42 AM
FMCJAG
New User
ok, what is that miss?

I got the same problem, at the same speed. Originally, I thought it was a miss, thats what it felt like, like a "bucking" sensation at low RPM.

After replacing the entire ignition system, I believe it actually is the torque convertor going goofy, like it can't decide what gear it wants to be in, almost like a shuttering.

I had the same problem on my cougar, but it had a TV cable that I could adjust, but being that this is an E4OD, short of replacing the solenoid pack or convertor, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Old 10-01-2002, 08:19 PM
ftrucktough
Senior User
ok, what is that miss?

yeah, that's what it feels like, the torque locking and unlocking. the tach stays rock steady, and i could hear the engine miss a little bit. believe it or not, since i got my new flowmaster on, and removed the 2nd cat, it hasn't done it all week. interesting. i think i'll just not worry about it until something else happens.

I do have an exhaust from around the back of the engine. I've heard about something leaking back there. what is that again? i know one guy at work that has fixed that before, and i asked him if he wanted to do it for me. then he turned around and asked me if i wanted a kick in the nuts, implying they are similar projects.

Gary

Old 10-01-2002, 10:53 PM
BigPony
New User
Post ok, what is that miss?

hey guys you said it was the torque converter? im in a similar position. i took my mufler off to do a cat back and i am also getting that bucking sensation at about the same speed. it sounds like its "Chugging" untill it picks up speed. i just finished rebuilding the engine this week. and its had a rebuilt tranny and transfercase put in last year. how could that be?

89' Bronco XLT 5.0

Old 10-01-2002, 11:28 PM
john9hit
New User
ok, what is that miss?