1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Throttle dead spot and speedo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
rount5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle dead spot and speedo

I've posted a couple time already where I have this dead spot on the first 1/4"-1/2" of my gas pedal. Well I'm now noticing that it's always there first thing in the morning, but as the truck gets warm/hot, it gradually goes away. So by the time I'm at work which is a 25mi drive, it's seems completely gone. It's been behaving this way consistently. So wondering if others experience the same? Any ideas on what would be causing this as it seems heat somewhere makes it go away?

Another issue I've been tackling is the jumpy speedo. Replace the vss but still the same. I have since recalibrated for new wheels/tires, went from 284 to 260 recal. First my problem used to start off with a speedo jump from 0-10mph, then all steady. No surging, no cruise issues, no OD blink. Then after driving a while, I would come to a slowdown in traffic where the speedo would need to go less than 10mph. It would then drop to 0 from 10, and when I accelerated again, the speedo would get stuck on 0 and I'd be stuck in 1st gear. But now since I recalibrated the speedo, it only jumps from 0 to 5mph. Been driving this week and so far no other symptoms. But something tells me it still isn't right and it's just a matter of time before it starts misbehaving again. Any thoughts???

Could these 2 issues be related?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 PM
14psd
Senior User
I know your problem, got the same one. I have checked and replaced the tps. No luck with that. I have to replace my fuel pump cuz its puking on my garage floor. I hope this solves the problem. I am also putting a fuel gauge on the truck at the same time.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
rount5
Junior User
Please keep me posted. I'm going to start cleaning all electrical connections and try to find any signs of shorting wires this weekend.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM
rount5
Junior User
Well just what I figured, the speedo is not behaving. I cleaned the connection at the vss, 2 connections on the drivers side moving forward, one at the transmission, and another futher up on the drivers side. Basically all the connections I could find from the vss up. Used electrical cleaner and connected and disconnected multiple times for each connection.

Went for a drive, everything seemed the same as it started off jumping from 0mph to 5mph, then after that all smooth. Truck was warm already. But this time I did some wide open sprints on the highway for a 15mile loop to get everything hot. When I got off the highway as soon as I slowed down to less than 20mph, the speedo would just drop to 0mph. I came to a full stop and when I started to go, no speedo and stuck in 1st gear until I got up to 15-20mph. Then the speed would jump from 0mph to 20mph and shift out of 1st rather abruptly. If I slowed down from 20mph, the speedo would freak out between 0mph and 20mph. I'm guess by 15mph it then drops to 0mph

I went home, tried cleaning the VSS connector again, when for a ride and same thing. So I came back and decided to replace the new VSS with the old VSS(new one from NAPA). Went out and same thing.

WTF!!!! How aggrevating!!!! I need some more suggestions please!!!! All the wires are surrounded by a plastic protective cover. I was thinking about running some different wires from the VSS to rule out a short or something but I can't figure out where the VSS wires go.

A few more observations. VSS had no metal shavings, etc. Still no surging, no OD blinking, tranny shifts smoothly when the speed is moving smoothly. If I let it cool down over night, speedo is smooth from 0mph for first few miles, then starts to jump from 0mph to 5mph. After everything gets hot, the freak out begins.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:59 PM
rount5
Junior User
The speedo/tranny saga continues. I sent my cluster up to Tacoma Speedometer, everything appears to check out fine. So now I'm back where I started and the search for this irritating problem continues.

Can anyone tell me what else besides the VSS gives input signals to the PSOM? If the PSOM is good, I've got to assume a signal to the PSOM is somehow gettting weaker or something as I continue to drive. And it only seems to be a problem below say 15mph, everything above that is steady and trouble free. How about the strength of the signals going to the PSOM? If everything is running normal, does the strength of the VSS signal change as speed changes? Or is it more like a steady signal strength, but different frequency of pulses? The fact that my problems all seem to be from 0mph to 12-15mph has to be telling me something, but what????

Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Originally Posted by rount5
The speedo/tranny saga continues. I sent my cluster up to Tacoma Speedometer, everything appears to check out fine. So now I'm back where I started and the search for this irritating problem continues.

Can anyone tell me what else besides the VSS gives input signals to the PSOM? If the PSOM is good, I've got to assume a signal to the PSOM is somehow gettting weaker or something as I continue to drive. And it only seems to be a problem below say 15mph, everything above that is steady and trouble free. How about the strength of the signals going to the PSOM? If everything is running normal, does the strength of the VSS signal change as speed changes? Or is it more like a steady signal strength, but different frequency of pulses? The fact that my problems all seem to be from 0mph to 12-15mph has to be telling me something, but what????
Wish I could help you on this one, but I haven't got a clue other than what you have been saying already. Good luck on this one.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRy posting here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=31

You are in the wrong forum for a 2000, although they are similar you may get better info on your truck. You should fill in your signature so others will know. Take a look at walts sig above....nice.