Sponsored by: Moser

Snorkel won't snorkel:

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Snorkel won't snorkel:

I noticed the snorkel was not opening on the air cleaner.What kind of problems does this cause?It has the temp. bulb in it to open the flap.I think these are impossible to find.I would like for it to work as it should,but I just took the spring off for now.Does any one have the part number for this type snorkel?My truck is a 1973 F-100 with 360 engine,automatic trans.This is the second one I have had on truck.I guess it is time for salvage yard trip again!Thanks,Russell

Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That or you could maybe use a newer vacuum controlled version that usually works better.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM
leonharu
Laughing Gas
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
With the spring off the snorkel so air can enter my truck now boggs down and has hesitation.I have installed a new accelerator pump diaphram on the motorcraft carb.I bumped the timing up a little and seemed to help.The vacuum advance seems a little siff and it is a rebuilt distributor from NAPA.I don't have a timing light and can I advance the timing to far to cause problems?I did unhook the vacuum line from the advance and did not seem to affect how the truck runs??????? Russell

Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Put everything back together and pick up a vacuum snorkel air cleaner assy with the vacuum switch in it. Connect it to manifold vacuum. Make sure your vacuum and mechanical advance work in the distributor. There are checks for those in any repair manual. Get a timing light and set the timing to spec to avoid destructive pinging/detonation and hard starting.