1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted it before but here it is again. n.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you have to cut a lot of sheet metal around those shock towers?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Bdox
Did you have to cut a lot of sheet metal around those shock towers?
The shock towers were completely fabricated. Nothing was used off the car except the k member, upper control arms and the coil/over shocks. We used the car as a pattern to get the angles so everything is the same as it was on the car.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

I meant the sheet metal of the truck body...... lol

Old 03-07-2008, 05:23 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I think the fenders will be fine, but pretty sure some trimming willbe needed on the inner panels, but if done correctly will look nice

Bdox, you considering this swap? I have everything you need at a song I also save the upper strut tower from the Cougar for the correct antidive angle.

Please say yes, I'm itching for a drive to Tahoe

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Thanks Mike. Actually I am not planning to do the swap myself but I have done a lot of projects of this nature, but never used the T-bird/Cougar parts. It just happens to be the sort of thing I spend a fair amount of time thinking about, being an old fabricator!

One the other hand, any time you are heading to the South end of Tahoe, let me know. I am always looking for FTE get togethers!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by LM14
Got the seats "roughed in". Don't think I would recommend them, yet. Welded risers on the stock legs (3" front and 1" rear on right dseat, nothing to 2.5" left seat) but need to re-do it. They are level left to right but need to come up a bit on the front. Got it a little low in the front and not totally happy with it at this point. Took a lot of work to get them even close. T-Bird floor has a lot of humps and bumps (no where close to level, even totally different side to side) the old truck doesn't have all those problem areas. Not sure I gained any leg room. I did mount them lower than the PU seat so I would gain some headroom (that will hurt leg room a little). Will keep you posted.

SPark
We made a seat frame to mount our T-bird seats on that will bolt to the floor and the seats can be bolted to the frame. The console will be covered with vinyl and the seats will be dyed a light tan. Carpet will be a tan color and dash will be red as will the truck. It was not easy to make frames but they turned out ok. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
SCD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, who has one of these on the road? What is the ride like?
Thanks
Scott

Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Cedric, ( twisted56 ) Teal, where have you been and how is your IRS coming along??? And the truck also??? . Post some updates on this thread if poss. And on your project as well. Let the planes fall out and down, get going on the effie as the weather is warming.
Jon.......(oxygenBoy)

Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
We made a seat frame to mount our T-bird seats on that will bolt to the floor and the seats can be bolted to the frame. The console will be covered with vinyl and the seats will be dyed a light tan. Carpet will be a tan color and dash will be red as will the truck. It was not easy to make frames but they turned out ok. Good luck.
I like the looks of your seats. Were they out of a late Tbird? What year? Also I don't see headrests in the pix. Did they not exist or have you removed them and are there holes?
The reason I ask is that I currently have fitted up my old Ranger seats in about the same gray color (90 Ranger), but like the looks of your seats better However I do not want head rests sticking up in the rear window. Are you retaining the gas tank and does it fit ok with the T bird seats?
I am working with the same cab, a 49. See some of my seat pix in my gallery.
Sorry for all of the questions but your pic peeked my interest.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I meant the sheet metal of the truck body...... lol
The only sheet metal we cut was the inner fenders. It is rough cut now but we will refine it when we finish.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 49willard
I like the looks of your seats. Were they out of a late Tbird? What year? Also I don't see headrests in the pix. Did they not exist or have you removed them and are there holes?
The reason I ask is that I currently have fitted up my old Ranger seats in about the same gray color (90 Ranger), but like the looks of your seats better However I do not want head rests sticking up in the rear window. Are you retaining the gas tank and does it fit ok with the T bird seats?
I am working with the same cab, a 49. See some of my seat pix in my gallery.
Sorry for all of the questions but your pic peeked my interest.
Those seats came from a 1995 T-bird LX. I removed the headrest and there is a hole but it has plastic grommets around it. I am going to try to find a plug but if not they won't look bad. The grommet is black but will be dyed same color of seats. We made a gas tank out of aluminum and mounted it in the frame. It goes under the cab so we can use the original filler on the side of the truck

Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Really nice. Love the tank idea, is it baffled? How much capacity?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Really nice. Love the tank idea, is it baffled? How much capacity?
The tank has a baffle down the middle mostly for support. I have not filled it completely but I think about 16+ gallons. One thing about it is with the IRS you don't have a driveshaft moving up and down becaused it is fixed, That way it can run pretty close to the tank. One side comes lower than the other to leave room for the exhaust to clear.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Thanks for the response. I think that I will look around for Tbird seats to have a look. I suspect that I can use my Ranger seat steelbases (but would lose the power). I like your gas tank idea. (99% of the relocated tanks on the 48-52 seem to end up with the marine fill thru the bed which I do not really want.
Too many good ideas-I need to finish my truck!

Quick Reply: an alternative way to do IRS with Ford rear