Notices

Line-X or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Patnoel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about Rhino?

I used LineX on my F-250 6 years ago and was very happy with it. I called the same shop to do my new F-150 and they no longer deal with LineX due to Franchise requirements. I think they are now Ultra Trucks or similiar.

I looked at Rhino and while it has a different texture, it looked pretty good to me.

Most posted messages are from people like me with LineX experience. Anyone have experience with Rhino?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Line x....... hands down!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work with a buddy that has the Rino in is chevy. He loves it as it's thicker than the Line-x. Claims the added weight quieted his truck down and helps during the winter. He also say's stuff doesn't slide around, and if it ever gets chipped, the dealer will repair it. I do have to admit, it does look good, color matched to his truck. Personally, I have no experience with either brand.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Rhino liner in my last truck. I thought it was pretty decent. It was rubbery and held items in place well. It had a few places where the liner was peeled off the truck and the paint scratched underneath. Since the original owner was the one that had the liner put in it was no longer under warranty.

After all of the praise I have seen on here I have set up an appointment tomorrow to have my truck sprayed with black Line-x. I am still trying to decide if I will have my toolbox and bed rails sprayed. I have heard people on here say that they removed the factory bed rails and used some kind of aluminum tape to cover the holes. Where can I find this tape? Are you happy with it or would you rather have stayed with the factory bedrails? Also, has anyone had the UV protectant applied, was it worth it ($100 extra if I want it)?

Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy at work has the UV protestant on his Rino. Of course it being red, he felt and it was reccomended the he get it . So far, 3 years now and I haven't seen any fading. He was told, that if he didn't get it, the red would soon be pink. If I was going black, it would be a heard choice to get it or not.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 AM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
as far as the bedrails, see my sig for a link to the article. i talk about how i removed my bedrails on my ranger. they told me i wouldn't like the rough look, but they smoothed out some of the "holes" and i love it. i would never keep the stock rails. if anything, i might spray over them, and mold them to the truck.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
02xlt3.0
Senior User
My only regret with Line-x is that I didn't do it sooner. Worth every penny. Definintely go Line-x (did mine over the rails-looks great).

Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
gb'sfx4
old enough to know better
there are a couple of line-x dealers near me

what kind of prep work should they do ?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 AM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
take the bed bolts out and remove the tailgate access panel so it doesn't get sealed shut

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
02xlt3.0
Senior User
My line-x dealer removed the panel for me; I didn't have to ask.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Razor404
Freshman User
Whatever you do, stay away from do-it-yourself liners. Bought some Hurculiner to do a previous truck. Besides hours of prep work and getting high on liner fumes, my snowblower scratched it down to bare metal.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:23 PM
tincup703
New User
I've had Rhino and LineX on my trucks and my new truck is getting LineX!

As to the LineX warranty...I had a small spot peel away on the side of my bed 3 years after it was put on the truck...took the truck back to LineX and they resprayed the entire bed no questions asked! Customer service like that has earned my repeat business for sure.
tc

Old 03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
rigpig
New User
I personally will never own another spray in liner. In 2001 I put in a Line-X and while it did not scratch, it did not protect my box from dents. After a few years of loading my quad hauling gear and sliding a camper in and out my box had no scratches or fading but was very dented. Also I spilled Diesal fuel in it one time and it never washed out and stained it a darker color. also road dust would always cling to the diesal stain.
So for me my last two trucks have all had wooden boxliners under the rail. And I couldnt be more happy. For 200.00 dollars you get a box that you can actually work with. If pickup boxes were like they used to be in my fathers truck then I think a spray in would be a good idea as they were much thicker steel.
They are not as pretty but if you have a truck that you actualy use I think it is the best. Also you can screw into them to secure loads.

Cheers

Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 AM
mbogosia
More Turbo
One thing I love about my ford drop in/plastic bedliner is it easy to slide stuff from the back of the bed to the tailgate to get it out. If I couldn't slide it I would have to jump up in the bed every time. It looks good also.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Rhino usually sets up a lot harder than Line-X which causes things to slide more in the bed. I have a Reflex liner in mine which I had installed at the Ford dealer where I was working when I bought my 04 Ranger new. The Reflex is almost exactly the same thing as Line-X and I had it sprayed on extra thick cuz the guy that did it was a buddy of mine. He also removed all the bed bolts and tailgate access panel. I had it sprayed over the top of the tailgate but not over the rails and so far I am very happy with it. I do have a discolored spot on it where my friends push mower fell over and spilled gas and oil and stained it but it hasn't affected the way it performs.