1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 PM
BigJ5656
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Breakdown

Ok guys, i know this isnt a car audio forum, but i have a small system in my 03 250 6L psd which consists of a MTX 3002, MTX 4002, Pioneer Z1 nav 10" infinity kappa perfect sub, and MB Quart comps, I also have a Boss Vplow.

My question is, i have never had a problem with my trucks electrical system, until today, it actually started yesterday when i was plowing for about 12hrs and my system would go all weird, it would give out static when using the joystick and such, but only then (close to the end of the night). So considering i plowed all day, i figured juice is runnin low because obviously this is a big power consumption. Today, started fine in the morning, and then at night, barely started, and the same thign happend irght away with my audio system.

Any ideas on why this could be happening ? im thinking of replacing the batteries, like 2 optima's, one red top and one yellow for the deep cycle and CCA .... or should i just use 2 of the same ? anything i should check and look for ?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:21 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would first check all your connections then check the batteries and the alt. If you replace the batteries you should always replace both and I would make it a matched set.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:11 AM
redford
Received 1,613 Likes on 943 Posts
Batteries lose a lot of capacity when they get cold. Old batteries lose capacity. Old, cold batteries lose a lot of capacity.

Plowing for 12 hours doesn't spin your alternator fast enough to keep up with the power demand AND replace the charge in the batteries. Your batteries are at maybe 30% capacity to start with, so at some point you are going to reach a state where your voltage will drop and your electronics will freak out.

The fix: Replace your batteries (I'd keep them both the same). Get as much CCA as you can. I like to replace mine every 4-5 years, even if they do not fail.

Check your alternator. Replace it with a newer alternator rated for more output. If possible, put a smaller pulley on the alternator so it spins faster. Dual alternators are an option Ford offers. That may be beneficial.

Reduce your electrical load: Not so easy to do, but be concious of what is turned on and what can be shut off.

Also, maybe rig up a high idle switch, to spin the engine faster and charge your batteries.

Lastly, check your battery cables and terminals often. Clean as needed. get those stupid little felt washers for the battery posts and use them. They cost maybe $3 and they do work to reduce corrosion.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 AM
redford
Received 1,613 Likes on 943 Posts
Oh.....Red top vs. Yellow top.

The only advantage to a deep cycle battery is you can drain them down to nothing and recharge them over and over, without damage. A normal car battery will be shot after you drain it to nothing 10 times or so.

Deep cycle batteries are great for trolling motors, powering RV trailers and stuff like that where you have a constant charge/discharge cycle.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
BigJ5656
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is why i thought maybe 1 deep cycle and one with a high CCA to get myself going .... but im not sure what kind of effect it will have on it.