5.4 Engine Knock.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by rotax21
I took my truck into the dealer last week and they said its because I don't have a Motorcraft filter. I just changed the oil with a Fram filter.
I'd do it just to prove them wrong.

Gee, I've had SO many motors knock because of those cheap orange things, it's amazing. NOT!

The only thing with the later modulars is they call for the FL-820S - the "S" means silicone anti-drainback valve, which the plain-jane Fram doesn't have (it's neoprene).

Fram makes the TG2 and XG2 which do have it.

But do try a Motorcraft filter and see if it fixes it - AND REPORT BACK!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM
golieth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Engine Knock.....

I have the same problem with my '04 5.4L w/70k miles. the only difference I have is that mine has a serious lack of performance i.e. almost 20 sec 0-60... I took it to the dealer and they said that the knock from the cam phase sensor was being picked up by the knock sensor which is in turn retarding the timing causing the poor performance. the kicker is, they quoted $3465.07 to fix it... does anyone know of an aftermarket warranty that will cover this?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
My neighbor pulled up to talk while I was working next to the road, he's was driving a 250 SD, but I really don't know which engine (wasn't diesel) or notice the year. He had a very definite engine knock - sounded just like a rod to me. He said it was a known issue of counterbalances on the crankshaft? Never heard of that one before... Anyone else heard of that?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
My neighbor pulled up to talk while I was working next to the road, he's was driving a 250 SD, but I really don't know which engine (wasn't diesel) or notice the year. He had a very definite engine knock - sounded just like a rod to me. He said it was a known issue of counterbalances on the crankshaft? Never heard of that one before... Anyone else heard of that?
Nope.

More likely the phase thingy for the cams? What year?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by krewat
Nope.

More likely the phase thingy for the cams? What year?
Dunno - I'll check next time I see him. I would definitely describe this as a "knock" though, not a "ticking" (as the TSB calls it). Does the cam thing really sound more like a "knock"?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:21 PM
FS-150
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
Dunno - I'll check next time I see him. I would definitely describe this as a "knock" though, not a "ticking" (as the TSB calls it). Does the cam thing really sound more like a "knock"?
Definitely sounds more like a "knock" as opposed to a "tick".

Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by FS-150
That was my understanding from hearing from others with the exact same issue, and having the TSB done and it being fixed.

I don't know personally, just relating what others have said

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by FS-150
I ask my neighbor about his truck again when I see him - I'm not sure what motor he has, but I guess this VCT knock thing is only on the 3V engines?

BTW, is there a write-up anywhere about how the VCT mechanism works? I've just picked up one of these ('06 350) so now I have to start paying attention to all the 5.4 engine noise and spark plug threads...

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Yeah, the cam phaser thing is only 3-valve.

And Jim, you won't have to worry about the spark plugs staying in the heads.

Getting them OUT - now that's a different story

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by krewat
Yeah, the cam phaser thing is only 3-valve.

And Jim, you won't have to worry about the spark plugs staying in the heads.

Getting them OUT - now that's a different story

Does seem like they over-corrected there - first they blow out when you don't want them to, so they fix that so that now they won't come out even when you *do* want them to... geesh...

I'm still on the fence there - I got 18K on the truck now. Do I pull the plugs at say 30K to be safe and try to get ahead of the carbon buildup, or do I not go looking for trouble just leave them alone?

My last truck (with the 5.8) had a habit of blowing the porcelain center section out of the plugs, but that was a little easier to get at, and had regular plugs.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 AM
tomax7
New User
replacement costs

Originally Posted by woodtickca
what if the warranty is up on the truck. any idea what the cost would be to do the cam sensor fix???
thnx
I was quoted $2300 to fix my knocking.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
lakeforkfisherman
Senior User
I had the same problem with my 04 5.4 Screw. They replaced both cylinder heads due to scarring. Under warranty= $50.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
valgarin
New User
Help please

This is my first post but i have a concern about my 2005 f150. when i first purchased the truck it did not have aftermarket exhaust. the truck ran very quiet as far as just engine noise goes. After a magnaflow muffler coming out in front of the rear tire the engine began to start making more noise than usual. but more recently at around 1000 rpm a ticking noise starts but only when the engin is warmed up. Second it sounds like my valves or something is tapping during acceleration between 1500 and 2100 rpm. Please if anybody has some information that would help me that would be great.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
daviddhm
New User
I am a new user also. I have 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 with 5.4 3V engine.I bought it used. It now has 102,000 miles on it. I noticed a ticking noise on the passenger side that sounded like an exhast leak. Had that checked by 3 different people. No leak. I then took the truck to a Ford dealership employee that does other machanic work on the side. He checked the engine with a scope and the noise was coming from the top right side of the engine. He said it sounded like a lifter. He has had 6 different Trucks to come to his shop with the same issue, all 5.4 3V engines.
I have ran my vin no. for any recalls. I then called Ford Customer Relations Person. They know this issue is a problem, but Ford has taken no action. I have also called Ford Motors about the issue. No good answer to the problem. I have called Jasper that makes these engines and they said they knew the problem exsisted. There is a screen in each head that gets clogged and causes the noise. They have now quit putting the screen in the heads. No replacement for the screen, because it made in the heads. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the heads. IMO only, I think Ford is trying to place the blame on the motor builders. Ford doesn't want to admit they caused the problem and have know about it since 2004. Too many vehicles with the same issue. I have read about all the forums that I know, about the problem. Everyone having the same issue with the 5.4 engine.
Don't get me wrong, I like my truck and hope Ford will take the blame for the problem and correct it. I'm not going to pay $2,000 to $3,000 out of my pocket for the problem to be fixed. IMO, it's a bunch of BS on Fords part. I am retired and on a fixed income.
It just PO's me to think about it, the problem. I will keep raising cane with Ford about the problem.
Anyone hearing or finding something new about the issue, Please post it.
Have a Good Day and sorry about rambling on about the issue and Thanks for listening.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
daviddhm, first, WELCOME to FTE!

However, I will say this: You bought a used truck, and expect Ford to make it right after 6 years and 102K miles? That "screen" (which I have never heard of) could be clogged from lack of maintenance from the previous owner.

Pull the valve cover, and check the cam (and cam journals) from scoring and see if there is really anything wrong besides a "tick".