1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

EPV question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
EPV question

In this cold weather sometimes it sounds like I have a Jake Brake when I let off the accelerator sometimes, I believe it's my EPV sticking. I thi8nk it sounds cool and don't mind it much BUTT! am I hurting anything or getting crappy milage or less horses? If so what would you suggest I do?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, it will activate in cold weather as its function is to restrict the exhaust in order that the engine will warm up faster.
It is debatable as to how well it actually works for that function.
Mine stays activated for quite some time when it is real cold out. There are 2 sensors, I believe, that must reach a certain threshold before it will deactivate. I think one is for air temp and the other is for oil or coolant temp.
You can tolerate it or you can just unplug it. The plug is kind of behind the EBPV, just pull it apart. Some folks wire a switch into the circuit so they can actually use it as an exhaust brake of sorts. Some guys actually remove the entire guts of the EBPV to completely eliminate the restriction.
Short answer: it isn't hurting anything, it is just annoying.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the explination. I think it sounds cool so if it isn't hurting anything I can deal with it in these cold winter months...............what ever happened with that global warming fad anyway?
Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ended up disconnecting mine cause I have lots of little rolling hills around my house and it bugs the heck out of me to after a while, I did not notice that the truck warmed any faster. And I think my mileage may have gone up some, I think that my sensor tube was going bad though. The tend to get plugged with carbon and the braking action gets more noticeable. If you want to unplug it, the plug is under you air intake where it goes into the turbo, it is a 2 wire quick disconnect.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Disturbed
Freshman User
Something I found on the EPV:

The Engine Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) is a butterfly type valve located on the outlet of the turbocharger, between the turbine and the down pipe. It is controlled by the Power train Control Module (PCM), and activated by engine oil pressure. Its purpose is to decrease engine warm up time in cold weather by restricting exhaust flow out of the engine. It can be very easily and very inexpensively converted into an engine exhaust brake by adding some simple wiring and a switch.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
here is a link to a write up for a manual tranny, I would recommend looking at the source links as the address the auto tranny issue, also you will notice a big discussion about aftermarket vs homegrown exhaust brake, the sponsor that has the aftermarket Exhaust brake has an excellent TQ Converter lock mechanism I would recommend that route.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-write-up.html