Propane refueling question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Propane refueling question

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
1978Crew 1978Crew is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 298
1978Crew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Propane refueling question

when refueling a propane tank, how do you keep from forcing some air into the tank? I know there must be a way to aviod pushing that is in the fuel inlet into the tank. there would only be a little air in the inlet, but after several time filling the tank, the little bit of air put in each time would need to be bled off. How is this done? I know that only 80% of the volumn of the tank is filled with liquid, the other 20% is vaporized propane. You can not just open a valve, or the liquid would vaproize with the loss of pressure. Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
MrBSS MrBSS is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,673
MrBSS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure I see your problem. While I guess a small amount of air could enter, I think it would mix in with the propane and, under pressure, you wouldn't notice it. Maybe you're thinking there would be a bubble of air?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
76supercab2's Avatar
76supercab2 76supercab2 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,043
76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.
When I was running LPG ag tractors, we just vented the tank to atmosphere to fill. The storage tank was pressurized by the LP and supplied from the bottom (under the liquid level. Venting the tractor tank released pressure and allowed the pressure in the storage tank to push the liquid over. We stopped when we got liquid coming out the vent (the vapor turned to a white cloud).

I really don't think it's an issue in the situation you describe. I'm not sure if the automotive LPG systems tap off the vapor area of the tank or run off the liquid area. Our tractors could do both. We ran off vapor till warmed up and then switched to liquid. If autos tap the vapor off the top of the tank, then any air pumped into the tank will be used by the car.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM
eclypseballoons eclypseballoons is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: phoenix
Posts: 36
eclypseballoons is starting off with a positive reputation.
when you fill a propane tank, there is a small bleed off valve which is supposed to be opened while fueling. it prevents the tank from becoming over-pressurized and thus opening the pressure relief valve. opening the bleed off valve also allows you to properly fill the tank to the correct level by bleeding off liquid once the level is reached.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
gasman6674's Avatar
gasman6674 gasman6674 is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greenwood In. USA
Posts: 1,390
gasman6674 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The little bleeder valve your are talking about is only used to verify volume in the tank. As said early LP tanks are only filled to 80%. If you over fill one especially in the summer heat you will diffinently have the relief valve pop off. The amount of air introduced when filling is negligable and not and issue.
However if you ever have to blow a tank down and remove a valve the tank will need to be re-purged to remove any air that was allowed to enter. Most automotive fuel systems use a vaporiser that heats and regulates the liquid LP to supply vapor to the engine

Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Conversion on my Edge - 6 month report PaulsEdge Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage 7 01-09-2017 07:09 AM
Bullydog Propane Tank jonnybronco Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 2 03-06-2014 11:27 PM
How many propane tanks will fit? Uncle Grumpy Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage 1 12-07-2009 01:56 PM
propane/gas dual fuel? hoxiii Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage 36 04-24-2005 12:34 PM
Propane 97psd Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 4 04-16-2001 12:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

automotive, bleed, bleeding, fill, filling, gas, lp, propane, refueling, relief, tank, tanks, tractor, tractors, valve

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: