Notices

Headlight Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
imacreative
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Woes

To breif everyone, I bought TYC Lightning Style headlights and installed it on my 01 F150 Supercrew 4 x 4. I also bought Silverstar Ultras and SilverStar Corner lights.

After spending an hour or so trying to align my headlights, i decided to go to the dealer today, pay the 40 bucks and keep peace of mind. When they were finished, I happily drove home.

I take my family out to dinner tonight, excited about enjoying my evening drive, when I still see the choppiness of the lighting. I also compared the light distance against other cars. my lights are brighter in the low beam, but short in distance and height.

Here are a few shots:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...light_pic1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...light_pic2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...light_pic3.jpg

Not sure if it's standard or if it's the Silverstar ULTRA bulbs or the headlight manufacturer. I know of one member with the same issue. Is this normal for those with lightning headlights? Is this a photometric issue or am I an isolated case?

any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-19-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Hi there. I've driven a lightning to test the lights, I don't remember them looking anything like that. They didn't stand out as being a whole bunch better than the my regular F150 lights, but certainly weren't that choppy/splotchy. I've read and experienced of more than one problem with aftermarket headlights having poor beams, none on your specific brand and model, but I would lean towards that being the cause. I agree that the beam is unacceptable.

I would seriously doubt that it would have to do with the bulbs. Aside from my dislike of bulbs with a blue coating, the Silverstars, and Sylvania in general, are quality pieces. The Silverstars do have the filament moved to a slightly different position than one of their standard replacement bulbs, but it is just to give the beam a little more distance. It shouldn't produce anything like that if it were inside a quality headlamp housing.

A few questions:

Is the first pic low beams, and the 2nd highs? What about the 3rd?

I see they say the lights come with a "certificate of compliance", do they have any actual markings on the lens of the light itself?

I guess you've made sure that the bulbs are sitting inside the light correctly? They are centered inside the ring that "hovers" in the middle of the headlamp?

The reflector looks like a pretty good copy of the OE style (from the pics I saw elsewhare), but looks can be decieving.

Last edited by tdister; 11-15-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
imacreative
New User
tdister,
Thanks for the reply. pic 1 was taken in a static position. pic 2 was driving a little down hill. the third was close to my garage door ( about 4 ft).
I have contacted the people i bought the headlights from and sent them pictures. I shall call them up tomorrow to follow-up. I may have to return these headlights.

where are you in Texas?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
I'm about 15 min out/just north of Austin. I usually make it to SA once a month or so to go to the UT Dental School.

All low beam pics then huh? I didn't park the Lightning up against a wall to see the beam, but most (all that I've played with) lights that are "diamond style" have a pretty flat cut-off on the top of the beam (unlike yours). They, correspondingly, give a pretty sharp cut off on the ground when driving. The pics from the drivers seat are a little blurry, but it looks like they are giving off some pretty major "hot spots". Yes?

Glad you posted this, I was considering getting the same lights a while back (and still want some lightning units) but couldn't find anyone with experience with aftermarket units. Mine, with the higher output from my mods, give of a good amount of glare from the normal lenses. Thanks for the pics. Any chance you could get a better one from the drivers seat sometime?

For my own curiosity, I'm going to post a link to this thread in the Lighting section of the forums to get their responses. Hopefully the FTE gods allow it to stay .

EDIT: Here it is https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...like-this.html

Last edited by tdister; 11-15-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Hmmm...Just had a thought

I was looking at a pic of the TYC lights, it doesn't appear that they even have the ring/cover around and over the tip of the bulb. Do yours? I notice they have the screws in place to mount it, but I don't see anything coming off of the screws. This could definitely be part of the problem if so.

I mean these (supposedly TYC units):
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...80-6131-01.jpg

Don't seem to have this (or anything close to it): http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...r/svtcover.jpg

Am I correct? Is your bulb completely unshrouded? This is the "hovering" piece I was reffering to above.

Do yours have any codes near the bottom of the lens (HB5, DOT etc)? I can't see anything in my top pic that would indicate so.

Thanks

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-19-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 AM
imacreative
New User
I'll check the codes this morning when i arrive at work. In regards to the cover at the tip of the bulb, I have one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...dlight_pic.jpg

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-19-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
And here I thought I was sooo smart...

I guess we'll just have to wait for the L owners to respond. Let me know what you hear from the company.

Pretty sure I can make out ans SAE code in your last pic.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 AM
imacreative
New User
I have posted earlier about my issues regarding the new headlights I bought which were TYC Lighting style headlights. I have had problems with shortness of beams-unlike my OEM headlights. After talking to a few members, I have decided to continue my research and testing and these are what I've found.

Bulbs: I initailly used the new Silverstar Ultra bulbs for my truck. It does beam the whitest light I have ever seen, but unfortunately, it's luminescent and hour life isn't good.

Here are some info about bulbs:
H1 (regular normal):
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva
Rangepower,Candlepower Bright Light, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar,
Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):
1750 lumens, 350 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue,
Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra, which is just a rebrand of the
Silverstar product, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):
1380 lumens, 250 hours

I decided to purchase the brightest easily available ( GE Nighthawks) from Wal Mart and noticed that it was not as bright as the Ultras, but the beam projected a little more wider and further in my Lighting Headlights.

I then decided to put back my OEM headlights just to compare them and found that using the OEM and GE Nighthawks was a spectacular combo. I actually had brighter longer and wider beams and the beam height was back to normal.

So, If one decides that they want to keep their Lightning headlights, I strongly recommend GE Nighthawks at about 30 dollars. These bulbs do compensate a little for the short comings of the photometics of the headlights. As much as I loved the look of my Lightning headlights, I will have to stick with my OEM. I am now in the process of returning the lights.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Please use links for pictures, your cooperation will be appreciated by other users.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:38 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Torque1st: I was kinda thinking it was OK to do so now with smaller pics. Seemed like I read something about easing up on it a while back. Sorry.

Good to hear you're making it work. I'm running the Nighthawks right now myself. I took them out for a while because, in combination with my harness upgrade, they were throwing too much glare to oncoming traffic (getting flashed). Since they throw a little bit farther beam than the Sylvanias I adjusted them down a bit and haven't had anyone flash me in the week they've been back in. Now they are half way between where the Sylv. were and where they threw they beam originally.

Just because the whiter Ultras look brighter doesn't mean they are or that they are more effective. The coating that blocks the yellow spectrum can play tricks on your eyes, colors will seem more realistic and they tend to "stand out" more, in reality they are not the best option. Be comfortable knowing that, no matter the optical illusion, you have a better spectrum of light now. I won't get too far into it, but there is sound science behind the idea.

I was under the impression the Xtravisions were a +20% bulb, not +30%. Where is that info from? In my experience the Nighthawks are a bit brighter than the Xtra's, both of which are brighter than the S'Stars (ultra and regular). The info above seems to mostly agree. The Ultras are advertised as 20% brighter than STANDARD bulbs, 30% more life than regular S'stars. I think the regular S'stars were originally advertised as 20% brighter themselves. Doesn't disagree with your above post, just clarifying.

Just wondering, did you try the Ultras with your factory headlights. Interesting they would mess up the beam. Never heard of that before. Was one a little crooked or anything by chance?

EDIT: 1000th post! Woohoo!

Last edited by tdister; 11-22-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
imacreative
New User
hi tdister,

I did try the Ultras with my OEM headlights resulitng in a beam a little wider and further. I was content with it until my curiousity got the better of me and I tried my OEM bulbs ( prior to getting Nighthwaks) and it threw much farther, wider and higher-though not as bright.

After I installed NightHawks on my OEM headlights, the results were amazing! As far the the crookedness, or chopiness, the Ultras with OEM headlights were smoother then the TYC lightning style ones. Must be the photometrics

Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Thanks for the update, good to know.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 PM
idbl_fanatic
Junior User
Originally Posted by r1killen
upgrade to a plug and play 9007 hid system wow are they brighter if anybody plans on doing this make sure u get the hid's with built in highbeams otherwise u will have no high beams like me witch does not matter when ur lights are is bright as mine
Agreed 100% I installed the plug and play HID on mine and WOW!! I had went through SO many different bulbs, and NOW I am happy!!

Last edited by CobraXP; 12-31-2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: removed remark from quote - 'sucks cock' removed
Old 12-27-2006, 02:15 PM
r1killen
New User
i got mine for 200 did u get 12,000 k bulbs,,,,hid are a must glad u went with them,,,did u loose u highbeams?

Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
idbl_fanatic
Junior User
Originally Posted by r1killen
i got mine for 200 did u get 12,000 k bulbs,,,,hid are a must glad u went with them,,,did u loose u highbeams?
I paid $129 for these plus shipping, they are the 10000K bulbs, and yes I did lose the high beams, but I can't say that I think I will ever need them with these.

Quick Reply: Headlight Woes