Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

Regina and renting a place to live...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
wreckhaul
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 66gpw
I rechecked the listing it still there. Here is the MLS # 233577 Have a look it is for 20,000 and room to build. Old Character house built in 1905 with fireplace. That place is a steal being a short ways from Regina.
hey Glen...the one in milestone for 20g is sold...I emailed the realtor that has it listed and she said it just sold...yeah the lot was 100x120...thats 4 lots compared to a small city lot it had a new metal roof and new furnace...not brand new but only a few years old...The realtor said she will email me with any fixer uppers that come up she seemed nice...not many realtors even bother to respond...out of about 10 only 3 bothered to respond...not a single realtor wrote me back when I inquired about places in the cheap area right in the city (north central).

I was in contact with a good one in Saskatoon...when i asked about the place in Hanley she sent me some other listings on the outskirts of Stoon...but now that I am going to Regina...you know

Hopefully the one about the place in Milestone can give me some leads when she gets new places to sell Like the one listing the Hanley place did
The one in Milestone was a rental unit with a tenant too...so for me that would mean I either rent for a couple months or stay in a motel for that long...didnt sound too good in that sense...but I liked the garage

Maybe I can find some For Sale by Owner places when I get there

Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Theres a few other sites you may want to check out too, saskhouses.com, and point2homes.ca.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad it was sold it looked like a good setup and priced right. Sorry about that. That realator sounds like some one you should looking for you. She sounds like a go getter. They will help you find a place that you can afford to by and fix up. Some will try and push you on more expensive places to increase their commisions.
My mother encountered one when she tried to move to the city a while back. He had her sign a contract to have him only be involved with her purchases. He kept showing her homes in areas she did not want and told him that and kept showing her homes that were more than she was willing to pay for. So she waited for the contract to expire and got another realator, but ended up helping my brother buy an acreage and getting screwed by my brother. That is why I have not much to do with him. He screws his own family for profit.
I would email her back and keep in contact with her and see what she can do for you. Just do not get looped into a contract with her exclusively.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Those damn realtors always sound like go getters, but then after sending you a few emails of properties you ask them to find, and then they send you tons of just any properties.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
wreckhaul
Elder User
yeah realtors...like lawyers and used car salesmen

I wont be singing any contracts to be exclusive to any realtors...the ones that list it get 7% if they sell it...if another realtor comes along and sells it before they do...then they split the commision 3.5% / 3.5% each...if you go with the realtor that has it listed they generally try and work out a better deal for you, because they dont have to share the commision...I know everyone puts their houses in a bit higher than they expect to actually get for it...or if its having a hard time selling then they might come down a little...I dropped over 8g off the price of my house and the realtor was telling me I should take a lower offer, then another realtor came by with a couple and I told them exactly what I would take and if they wanted it then give me that price and its yours... but now the lister of my place was looking at sharing a commision with some other guy...so she told her clients that gave the low offer to bring it up higher and she got me to sign a thing sticking them in first place... in the end i got $4500 more out of the original bidders...and it was only 2g less than what I had to get...

I wont have a bunch of paperwork to deal with, with banks...if someone accepts one of my offers they will get a certified cheque for the whole amount that day if its early enough...that should give me some bargaining power too

Besides having to sit around and wait for the bank to do their paperwork...the sale of this house was kind of fun...I know it is a good place with no major problems...sewer/septic/roof/foundation, etc are all great and werent built shabbily...so I wasnt about to just let it go for the first offer i got...I bet in a couple years this place will be worth $50,000 more...it has happened every town I have lived in...we get there and prices are affordable...after we are there for 2-5 years its alot more expensive...I hope that dosnt happen to Sk for awhile though... This is the biggest move we have made...I think it says 14 hours drive on yahoo...
we moved an hour out, then an hour and a half, then 5 hours...and its like the higher prices have followed us with each move I dont think the people in this little town have a grasp on what is coming...when i got here you could buy a place for about $36,000...a fixer upper on a double lot...now $79,000 is the cheapest place for sale and its a mobile home on owned land...
a 5 acre lot was $15,000...now 2 acre lots are selling for $60,000 and there are no 5 acre ones for sale anymore good time to sell...if you dont have a job here LOL

66gpw..that sounds like some of my family
The tricky realtors are some of the best ones if you can harness that energy They told me I was sabotauging myself by revealing to people what i would accept...but it got them bidding and brought the price up...if I didnt tell them straight up what i would take...who's to say they even would have made an offer at all plus i wasnt doing it to be sneaky...i liked the people too...the guy was a ford man...i asked him if he liked fords and he said he had 3 at home...with a big laugh LOL...i didnt really have time to tell him about FTE...as we were talking home sale business and his wife didnt seem to appreciate the ford conversation going on in the middle of it all HAHAHA

Last edited by wreckhaul; 02-13-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 AM
wreckhaul
Elder User
preppypyro...thanks for the links too I will go check those out right now

Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 AM
wreckhaul
Elder User
found this story on one of the sites you linked for me preppypyro...
http://www.teamfisher.com/blogs/norm_fisher/archive/2007/2/9/how-the-free-market-works-when-it-s-given-a-chance-a-seller-s-story.aspx?Aa=97aa324c-d55f-100a-100d-915498def108

All in all though, I think I would still be leary of any realtor and you gotta think for yourself... I WILL NOT pay more than I have been planning to pay...if I go higher it will only be because I rented for a couple years and saved up more...not because of some stranger telling me their stories I am glad you guys atleast figured out what the realtor was up to...I have a feeling alot of people never even realize what just happened...
When I shop for something I always know exactly what i am looking for...
One instance i remember was i went to get some gas for my RC car...being new into the hobby I had lots of rookie questions...the guy I was dealing with gave the other salesman in the shop a little grin and then proceeded to ask me if I had a temp gauge and went on to say that I had to have one or I could ruin my RC...I left without buying anything...I dont do business with people that think of it as a game...people have families and lives and if all I feel like is a dollar sign i dont think they deserve my time and my money...I boycott stores very easily LOL...but then I am very loyal to the ones I know are good

I'd rather pay a bit more to someone I have something in common with than to a saleman with his slick pitches...

I dont do think of myself as slick and I wouldnt feel to good about if that is how I viewed things... imagine if I was slick rick HAHAHA...there was a rapper called that and he went to jail for shotting his own cousin HAHAHA...I think he's still in jail to this day and this has got to be some 20 years ago

and yes...i went thru my musical phases...grew up on 70's rock/disco (alot of it was both back then), then I got into thrash/speed/death metal, then I got into rap for a few years too...Now I like my music mellow and positive HAHAHA...thats what I like now in my old age

Last edited by wreckhaul; 02-13-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I like the way you do business wreck. If I even think the guy im doing busniess with is starting to jerk me around I dont buy and I really do my research into it.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
idfergusson
Senior User
You might try UsedRegina.com as well.There is a house with a 3 car garage 23 miles SE of Regina for 32,000.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good article. The agent my mother got did not act like that. He kept trying to push her to buy something she did not want. She first went to the realator office to contact a friend of mine. He was not in and this guy stepped up and got her to sign this cointract. I later got a hold of my friend and he was the one who told us to wait the guy out. He helped my mother and brother out fairly. The other salesman is no longer with the company. I seen him with other realtors and lately do not see him at all anymore. I think his rep got around.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Sask is just too small to get a bad rep in too.