Transmission whines - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Transmission whines

Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
svt rules
New User
svt rules is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission whines

I own a 1997 f-150 shortbox with the 4.2l automatic transmission. I bought the truck in the fall of 2006 being the second owner. The truck had about 123000 kms when I bought it and now has approx 135000 kms. I noticed when the temperature outside dropped below freezing or colder that the transmission would whine when accelerating. Normally I let my vehicle warm up for 10-20 minutes before I get in it but it will still do this afterwards. Once it is warm it is alright. Is this common with this truck? The transmission oil is always up when I check it.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
Are you sure it is the transmission?
Many folks have reported the fan (radiator fan) clutch whinning until it warms up.
Food for thought....

Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Posting Guru
BlueOvalFitter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exclamation

Mine has a slight whine when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 AM
tula771
Junior User
tula771 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Live in Michigan, my 06 tranny really whines when its down around zero, the fan also, but the tranny really makes noise. When I drive down the street you can almost feel the thing until it warms up, esp 1st, 2nd gears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.