Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Aw, Nuts"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Aw, Nuts"

I take my title from the credited, but sometimes disputed, reply to the Germans made famous by Gen Anthony McAuliffe during the Battle of the Bulge, when told he was surrounded and was given a surrender ultimatum.

So tell me this is reasonable.
A few weeks ago, I kind of thought to myself that something sounded a little different. I couldnt put my thumb on it right away. After a few days, I decided that it was the idle sound, and specifically, that instead of what I'd describe as a
tum tum tum tum tum sound, it was more like
cak cak cak cak

Having no idea what it might be, I turned to my cousin who works at Nav and said on the cell phone "listen to this and tell me what you think." I stuck the phone next to the engine. He said "thats a mean tick." I asked if he knew what it was, he didnt. But it at least confirmed that I wasn't loopy.
Now about the same time I got my DP and installed it. So initially, I called Jody thinking there was a connection. I rather think now it was just coincidence of timing. But being Jody, he's still emailing back and forth trying to help me. Oh yes, important detail! Mileage went from about 15-16 to 8. Yeah, that got my attention.

So I call Jody today. This guy floors me. I said hey, can I have you listen and see if anything strikes you? He says sure. So I stick the phone in there, and when I come back he says "you have a regulated return on there?" yup. "You have some aftermarket fuel system?" yup. (how on earth his ears, through a cell phone, discerned that . . .freaky. He suspects I have, in his words, an "unhappy injector".

This is official SWAG time. I'm going to have a continuity test Wed am. Weird noise, bad mileage, listening to anything anyone might think of at the moment.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I wonder where he learns all this stuff and can so quickly determine whats wrong. I want him to do some live tuning with me at Spring Fling, if he's there. Hopefully i'll have big oil by then and he can do some adjustments and then i can go back on the next day and spin even better.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He'll be at Smokin in th Smokies.

Twelve, I have been wondering for a while about the #8 Cackle injector and the reg return. Once you do the return is the long lead really nessessary, did Jody say anything about that?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup. He did mention that. But I don't think thats the culprit. And I agree, the reg return solves the issue that the #8 was supposed to. Which, in and of itself, might create a funky idle sound, except that I've had that stuff on for longer than the last couple of weeks. Actually, the reg returns quited things down a touch.
I guess if theres any injector that's bad, I could hope it's 8 so I can get rid of the LL.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Is the idle smooth?
I'm wondering if you aren't just hearing the "normal" #8 injector knock.
I've got a set of Beans injectors in less than a year old, no air in my fuel, and it still knocks.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
The first thing Jody did when he got his reg. return system was he got rid of the LL #8. It did get rid of the cackle you can have with it. His truck became much quieter.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan