1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

exhaust -- is it worth the $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:04 PM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust -- is it worth the $$$

I removed my factory exhaust today. Even with everything from the cat back removed, the truck is not that loud, but the fumes need to be pushed further towards that back of the truck.

I went to a local muffler shop and they said it would be 100 dollars to have a straight pipe run back to the just in front of rear wheel and then agled out to the side of the truck.

My question, is this:

Is there any significant benefit in spending approx 300-400 dollars on an exhaust from one of the aftermarket manufacturers over just having a pipe run like I mentioned above?

I want to get the one that is better, and I do not mind spending the cash on the aftermarket pre-made system if there is a benefit.

WR

Old 02-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't think it's worth the money to go out and get a system, plus most have mufflers, which most people remove anyways. if you can "get away" with dumping the cat, that will make it louder than it is now. good luck!

-Robb

Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
I drove it around today with just the DP on it and it was quiter than my 7.4 liter suburban with performance exhaust.

Heck if the fumes would not come into the cab while at a stop light, I would probably just put a little turnout on the bottom of the DP and call it good.

WR

Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM
smuzz
Senior User
Have you replaced the down pipe I think that is a good investment. I put in a tymar 3 to 4 downpipe and then just bought a straight pipe and one 45 elbow and angled it out in front or rear tire works great for me. Pics in gallery of downpipes side by side. Mine isn't that loud empty but can get pretty dang loud when pulling hard. I really like my exhaust wouldn't tak it off ever but sometimes after five or six hours towing hard it gets annoying.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely replace the down pipe. Then have your exhaust shop run the pipe for you (without the CAT).

Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 AM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
got it. I better order the down pipe tonight. I can drive on the open exhaust for a couple days till it gets here. I 'm starting to like it

Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i would never waste my money on an aftermarket system. like was mentioned above they come with mufflers and that is a lot of the cost! like i have said before, if you can weld and turn wrenches then you be able to do it yourself pretty easily if you dont mind a lil work!

check out an industrial electrical supply or plumbing supply! they have all kinds of sizes of pipe and no where near the price of exhaust shop prices!

ditch the down pipe idea and run a 4" pipe from the exhuast side of the turbo to out the hood

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 02-04-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM
whiskeyrichard
Senior User
man, a straight pipe right off the turbo coming right out the hood.....that would be soooo bad ***.

I like where your head is at!!

WR