Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Let's talk tire/wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 PM
bozzzz94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk tire/wheel sizes

I'm interested to hear from other folks out there that have maybe tried or used different size rims and tires on their Aero's. Yes I know the common size is P215/75R14SL on an 14" X 6" rim. The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for the front is 2465 and the rear is 2950. I would like to learn what the the circle bolt pattern is and what other ford products will fit. I'm particularly interested in seeing if certain mustang years will work imparticularly the earlier 17" variety. Again, I hope to hear from other readers about this. I'm looking for the long haul not the around the block on DUBS (20") for eye appeal that is not practical. This is a generic web address that has some of the basics for other readers to learn as well.--Boz http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/tired.html

Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM
B-Aerostar
Senior User
I have the 20" on my Aerostar. It rides better than my 2003 Astro work van, but I have bad shocks on my Aerostar so the ride is smooth but unsafe. So she will be put down until I can replace the shocks and springs. Probably change wheels also to 17" or 18"

Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
bozzzz94
Senior User
Originally Posted by B-Aerostar
I have the 20" on my Aerostar. It rides better than my 2003 Astro work van, but I have bad shocks on my Aerostar so the ride is smooth but unsafe. So she will be put down until I can replace the shocks and springs. Probably change wheels also to 17" or 18"
Yeah now I remember you. I've seen your Aero maybe on the car domain web site? My extended 1994 Sport is black like your's except for the two tone body color of silver on the bottom. I saved it off of E-Bay. A wreck caused it to stay in Illinois from some folks in North Carolina and was put on e-Bay by a wrecker service by a towing company. It had light pas. front end damage which put it in my hands back in May. I'm driving her right now and the Od just this weekend went over 100 thou. not bad-I've got alot of life left in her. The body is reallly cherry with no rust. I should post like you did and show my body reconstruction and such.

You're ride looks clean with the dubs, but I was wondering about your everyday driving as far as hitting the fender wells and such. What is making you switch back to a smaller rim? Lastly I'm curious. What bolt pattern if any did you find for 'our' aeros?

Oh yeah, I REALLY appreciate you responding to my post. It seemed at the time as one of those posts that time forgot. I really appreciated hearing from you B-Star.

Last edited by bozzzz94; 02-05-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Aero94EXP
Senior User
Good post. I'm thinking of doing the same thing...replacing my wheels with 17's from a donor mustang.

B-Star what's the deal with your exhaust? It looks like you're running duals...where's you find that tailpipe cover. That would looks great on our 'Star. (Check my gallery)

Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 AM
B-Aerostar
Senior User
Smile

Yeah I have a custom exhaust with a single inlet dual outet flowmaster. I drive my van everyday and the rides is good but the crime in my area is high so break-in almost once a month with a alarm and club. I only have one tire that rubs because of the rear springs sag when loaded. The bolt pattern for the aerostar is 5x114.3 with a offset 12. The widest tire is 255 with out hitting the sliding door. I have 255/35-20 with 20x8.5 wheels.

Last edited by B-Aerostar; 02-07-2007 at 04:43 AM.