Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Sound...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 AM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Premium Sound...

I know there are alot of threads about the factory CD Players in our trucks. What I want to know is where does the "Premium Sound" Amplifier mount to? Also where/how does the wire harness route between the Amplifier and radio? I have located and purchased both the CD Player and the Amplifier with harness and I am not sure where the Amplifier mounts. I have hears of many places. Is it directly to the left of the radio behind the black dash panel where the 4x4 switch would be located if it was a 4x4 or is it just above the gas pedal under the dash? Any help would be greatly welcomed. Also, I know the CD Player plays regular music cd's as well as CD-R's but will it play MP3's or do I have to burn my music like a music cd? I realize the last question may not be applicable to some people. Is there such a thing as "Premium Sound" speakers for the F-150's? Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Vehicle discription in SIG.

Sam

Last edited by 77 Bronco; 02-01-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 980 Likes on 774 Posts
I get the feeling you want to use factory equipment.. for some reason. The aftermarket is filled with audio gear that will easily eclipse anything the factory ever put in these trucks, and especially anything from this older series. I don't think MP3 was even available in '96, so I seriously doubt you'll find an original factory MP3 player. Why not install a Pioneer/Sony/Alpine MP3 head unit and a set of 2 or 3-way speakers?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 771 Likes on 549 Posts
My service CD sez: "Location of amp is behind radio mounted to a bracket on the instrument panel. Remove 2 screws & disconnect the two harnesses"

If you didn't get the bracket you may be SOL.

Realize yer' prob'ly doin' this for a cost reason, but I'm with Con on this. Just about any thing aftermarket is a quantum leap in quality.

Just put my "Xmas present" in. JVC Armada 470, pair of Infinitys front, Polk 5x7s in back. Plays everything I burn.

The earliest model ford that I've personaly gotten to play an mp3 in is an 02'. May be someone will advise if different.

As far as speakers go I drove the factory ones for a bit before putting the new ones in & they held up pretty good & the sound was a lot cleaner. It was a sure indicator that the factory head unit was the weak link. Ive always liked ford units for their tuners rather than the cd or tape. They're just about indestructable.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 AM
77 Bronco
Senior User
I am doing this for the Factory look. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where and how the amplifier and radio hook up? Also need a picture or diagram of where the amplifier goes. Did the "Premium Sound" come with special speakers? Thanks.

Sam

Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 AM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Has anyone ever seen one of these "Premium Sound" radios with a cd changer? I have heard of them and seen them in Ford Windstars. They use the same single DIN style factory ford radio....I just can't tell if it is a special radio with a "CD" button or not. Anyone got any info on these? As you can see I am trying to install a very custom factory Ford system in my truck. I have always wanted to put something together like this and document it. I know it sounds crazy, as I could just buy aftermarket and be done with it....but there is something about a challenge and the uniqueness of it all. Any info on these systems is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sam

Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the factory amplifier is mounted on the left hand side (as if you were sitting inside the truck) underneath the paneling under the glovebox. Premium sound just means you have rear speakers (so I've been told). I have all the diagrams on my computer that i will post up wheni get back to my computer =)

Old 02-03-2007, 07:20 AM
77 Bronco
Senior User
NeXtras, I really really apreciate the diagrams. As for the rear speakers being for only premium sound, this is not as you had been told. My truck has "Standard" sound and has rear speakers. I have seen some speakers in other Ford vehicles that say "Premium Sound" on them. I am looking for a set for my truck as well as proof that they do exist. Any help is greatly accepted in the further developement of my little project. If I can get enough people to put in a little time and effort I beleive I can get this to come together. Once I have completed the project I would like to make the info (part #'s etc) available to FTE users. Thanks.

Sam

Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
I just took a "Premium Sound" Amplifier out of an 89 van and the Amplifier was bolted to the screws that would hold the dash speaker if it had one. The wires ran right to the radio.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 AM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Subford, unfortunately our truck dashes are not the same as the vans. But thank you for your input.

Sam

Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
From what the 89 Ford shop manuals say the Premium Sound" Amplifier was only in the vans. So if you have "Premium Sound" Amplifier from the 80's it is out of a van. I take it the late 80's F-Series did not have a dash speaker hole.

What year truck are you working with?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
77 Bronco, do you just need the wiring diagrams? Or actual pictures? The diagrams i know I have, actual pictures of components i don;t believe I have. Let me know. I have the whole 1993-1994 Index of Truck Shop manuals.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
If this is for a 1996 then here is a diagram:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...96SoundAmp.gif

Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
77 Bronco
Senior User
I am working with my '96 F-150. I need pics of the bracket and how it is mounted. I know this can be difficult to do. I think I know where the amplifier mounts....in general area...I beleive I know where the box located just below the amplifier in the picture that SUBFORD provided is located. So it looks like it goes right above that possibly. Anyone know how the CD Changers work? I know I am asking for alot of info on this. I really do appreciate everyones help. Thanks for the pic/diagram Subford.

NeXtras, I have all the shop manuals for most of the cars ('92-'02) and trucks ('93-'02)....and I have looked. They didn't tell me much. I appreciate the effort.

Sam

Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 PM
RMS94
Junior User

Here is a picture of the amp in my 94 F150. I did not get the bracket with the amp, but there are 4 screw pads to hold the bracket. I used 2 of the screws to secure the amp. The wire harness just went towards the firewall and then down to the amp. I had to make up a wiring harness to adapt the AM/FM Cass to the CD unit for the speakers, power supply and display dimming. Also, you will have a insulated wiring harness between the amp and the CD unit.

Roger

Old 02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Thanks RMS94. That is a big help. Hope someone has a pic of a bracket also. Hope more people can help out. Thanks again.

Sam

Quick Reply: Premium Sound...