1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOOHOOO!! First Repair on the New Bronco!! SUCCESS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Smaulz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Jan-03 AT 07:06 PM (EST)]

Just got done with my first repair on the new truck! So what? Well, for someone NOT automotively inclined, I think it's a pretty darn good deal. (I'm generally handy, but don't have much experience with vehicles) I vowed when I got the truck, that ALL repairs/mods would be done by ME, even if it killed me!

Anyways, I broke my Mr.Goodwrench cherry on a new power door lock actuator. After scanning these boards, and a few others, I decided to give it a shot. I'd seen quite a few horror stories, but nothing that looked too intimidating. I figured since I didn't have a camera, I'd do a quick write-up to help any other mechanically inept folks should the need arise. By the way, if the terminology and what-not isn't correct, please feel free to kiss my... I mean, uhh... well, you know. (j/k)

Following a few pricing phone calls, it was decided to go with an aftermarket actuator. (Once I saw this plasticated POS, I almost rethought that decision, but charged on, not wanting to make another trip to the parts store). Picked one up at a local trick shop for $20, (after a little $5 discount from a friend that worked there) and brought it home.

Digging right in, I first pulled the upper and lower door panels by removing the screws and being careful not to break the plastic tabs, then muscling the panel up over the door handle. My first shot of the door sans panel revealed that the previous owner had obviously tried this too, since the plastic sheet was poorly held on by a goopy mess of adhesive. Carefully pulling the left side back, I cleaned off as much as I could to prepare it for resealing once the job was done.

I then set out to drill the rivet fastening the mounting bracket to the inside of the door. (There was NO way I was gonna try this without having the thing out where I could actually SEE it.) It wasn't too difficult, and popped free with little effort. I maneuvered the actuator around to free the rod from the small grommet in the locking mechanism, and pulled it out. After disconnecting the wiring, I first tested both wires to make sure they were receiving voltage. They were, so I knew for sure the actuator was bad. (Not that there was any doubt after it pretty much fell apart in my hands when I removed it.)

My next problem was to figure out how in the heck I was going to mount the new one, since it was shaped NOTHING like the OE part (and would therefore NOT work with the original bracket). This problem was eventually solved by some rather ingenious (even if I do say so myself) bending of a small L-bracket and a carriage bolt. (Dang, I wish I had pics) With that out of the way, I clipped and stripped the wiring from the harness, and connected the appropriate leads to the new unit after testing them to make sure they were hooked up right.

The aftermarket actuator came with a 7 or 8 inch rod to fit all cars, so I measured/bent it to match the old one, and attached it to the actuator. A little creative use of expletives later, I had the rod reinserted into the grommet and the actuator mounted with its new bracket.

Following a final test to make sure it all still worked, I resealed the plastic sheeting with some silicon, and remounted the door panels. And praise Jesus it all works!!!!

My next project is to finish the work on the tailgate window key switch that I started yesterday. I've figured out that the switch is still good, so I'm hoping the aftermarket trailer wiring harness screwed something up, so it SHOULD be easy to fix.

I hope somebody will get some use out of this "write-up". If you do, please feel free to drop me a line.

Old 01-05-2003, 07:58 PM
treehugger36
Senior User

Congrats. I too am a novice bronco mechanic just starting out. I am eagerly trying to get in as much knowledge as I can. Unlike you though I thought the window issues my bronco was having were a lil out of my league. When I bought it the front windows wouldnt go up with out the help of the driver and passenger... soon the back was the same. WHen I removed my door panel though all I saw was sheet metal. The dang door is a cage! There was hardly anyway to even see the power window assembly much less get to it. So... to the shop it went. cost me a pretty penny seeing how all the actuators were shot and because the guy before had let it go so long and kept trying to use the windows... the motors were shot too... yea!

this christmas break though has definitely been a good one. I replaced my ignition rod, rear window switch (SIMPLE!) and installed a new Heater core. ASE certification here I come! ha ha ha

Good luck to you in all your future endevours. I pray the Bronco God smiles in my direction as well...

Peace

-treehugger36
------------------------
"Full size man! Not one of those pansy Bronco II's!!!"

Old 01-05-2003, 10:41 PM
geneb11
Junior User