New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

where you live and occupation

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Marc150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live in Canastota and work on a local dairy farm. Worked there for 5 years and cant get enough of it(cept with all this snow and cold!!).

Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
our occupations in the next 24-36hrs will be moving snow. good luck fellow NY'ers.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lenny1carl
our occupations in the next 24-36hrs will be moving snow. good luck fellow NY'ers.
if i had a plow, i'd be down to your place in the morning....gonna be a loooong day. good luck.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Live in the very southern most part of the area, Philadelphia to be exact. I'm a kept man and practiced bum.

I'm kept away from the kids,
I'm kept away from the bank accounts,
because of my looks I'm kept away from the public,
I'm kept in my room most of the time.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:19 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Lucky duck.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Had enough NY winters (was in Oswego in '66) it's about 25 degrees warmer down here in VA and no snow. My son got out of work early today because they closed Cornell down.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Gomer, get over here with a plow! this tractor's not keeping up!
where's my pennysaver!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
i'm ready to renew my subscription to the drug of the month club. snow blower has run 3 times and will have to do it at least 2 more times. and wind blown snow..... i've had to shovel my porch 6-7 times and the SOB has a friggin ROOF

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
Mostly ice down here. need salt not a plow

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
That almost NEVER happens!

Originally Posted by GLR
Had enough NY winters (was in Oswego in '66) it's about 25 degrees warmer down here in VA and no snow. My son got out of work early today because they closed Cornell down.

Our older son went to the Ag school there. That almost NEVER happens!

Brought a train (loads of new cars) from Cleveland last night right in the worst of the storm! We were the only eastbound out there at the time.

It was quite impressive. Every road X-ing that had been plowed had a 1-2 foot pile of snow that we whacked at 40-50 mph.

Served as crew transport as well...one crew had to get from one end of Ashtabula Yard 2 mi. to their train at the other end of the yard. No crew transport vans running.

Another crew parked their train on a siding at Erie as they were about to expire under the hours of service. Picked them up and brought them to Buffalo.

We left Cleveland at about 12:40 am, arrived Buffalo about 6:30 am. It really wasn't the worst trip I've ever had, timewise or weatherwise.

With the high winds forecast and a shortage of crews due to the weather, I didn't even go home (50+ miles) in case they might need someone. Stayed in the same hotel the Albany and Cleveland crews use here near the Galleria Mall.

Doesn't look like much of anything is running right now.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
I've shoveled this driveway three times since 6 am: from when I got home at six until nine, when I got up at noon until 5 and from 7 to nine. I was very unhappy to see than no one that was home had even tried to keep up with it between nine pm when it started until six am. As it sits, I'm the only one that's been out there without complaint or dragging my feet. Got the driveway clear and the cars busted loose (truck's laid up due to electrical problems) and the a%#hole plow guy came by no less than six times in both directions on the same side of the street knocking snow back into the driveway. If anyone's got a plow for sale, I'm looking. I'm going to go over to the highway superintendant's house and plow in his frikkin' driveway. Every flake of snow on his street will be pushed into his drive up as far as his garage. Then maybe he can get his a%#hole plow drivers to knock the snow to the other, houseless side of the street.

I think his name is Dick.

Last edited by gomersinner; 02-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 308 Likes on 283 Posts
Well I ended up having about 18" on my driveway when I got home from work yesterday afternoon which closed early. Went in and grabbed the cold weather gear and fired up the snowblower. Well after 2 hours I finished my driveway and then I cleaned out my elderly parent's driveway which took another hour. Boy was I tired !!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, the best part of getting home yesterday was getting into the driveway......... I already had the truck in 4HI so I just gave it some gas and did a hole shot for the snowbank and BAM!!! snow flying all over the place and the truck was sitting up by the house where I normally park. YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
i stopped measuring after 30" at 730 pm. snow blower runs-6, porch clearings-13, vehicle clearing-8, roof rakings-2, towing out the f350 that plows our park-2(that was the only fun part), pissed off dog-1(she can't get to her pooping spot), beers-not nearly enough. as i type this this morning, it all needs to be done again. not as bad as anything yesterday. this cripple worked his scrawny *** off yesterday. today it's 15-20 mins at a time, a beer(maybe 2), then another 15-20 mins. that schedule ought to kill a 12 pk. pics to come when i find my usb cord
i feel guilty for bitching though as my sister lives in Mexico NY, just off lake ontario, and got more than 11'(feet) in 12 days

Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by lenny1carl
i stopped measuring after 30" at 730 pm. snow blower runs-6, porch clearings-13, vehicle clearing-8, roof rakings-2, towing out the f350 that plows our park-2(that was the only fun part), pissed off dog-1(she can't get to her pooping spot), beers-not nearly enough. as i type this this morning, it all needs to be done again. not as bad as anything yesterday. this cripple worked his scrawny *** off yesterday. today it's 15-20 mins at a time, a beer(maybe 2), then another 15-20 mins. that schedule ought to kill a 12 pk. pics to come when i find my usb cord
i feel guilty for bitching though as my sister lives in Mexico NY, just off lake ontario, and got more than 11'(feet) in 12 days
I hear ya brother....
my fiance's aunt lives in Mexico, they finally had a front end loader come in to dig them out.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles
there is much interest in people's jobs and quite a few looking for work.

How would we get a general forum started that deals with the different aspects of employment?

Those with jobs might be able to help out those looking.
No problem in starting a thread here in the NY Chapter forum. Just because this is a truck forum overall doesn't mean everything in the NY Chapter forum has be truck related.

Quick Reply: where you live and occupation