New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

where you live and occupation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't remember the whole route, but she delivers north of Rt 5 and west of 29. Something like that anyway.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gomersinner
I can't remember the whole route, but she delivers north of Rt 5 and west of 29. Something like that anyway.
hell, i'd have to ask my m-in-law, i just got back from Iraq and moved in for the time being LOL....

Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
Welcome home, then, hombre. And thank you.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 309 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddyAxles
Well, that's kinda how it was for a long time. Been with this going on 8 years...longest I've been with anything other than my sweetie (and I would hate to say how long THAT's been).

Oh, yeah "this" is the railroad...CSX Transportation, Train and Engine Service employee, presently working as locomotive engineer. Yep, that's me goin' by wavin' at ya.

[Here's my lonesome tune: "ding, ding, ding, ding,
w-o-o-o!, ding, ding, ding, w-o-o-o!, ding, ding, ding, wo-o, ding, ding, ding, w-o-o-o!" (70-80-90 times a day).]
Palmyra, NY ...previous employment was with a land surveryor for 13 years as a draftsman/survey tech. Last 7 have been working for county government as a tax map technician (fancy name for map drawer) and before anyone asks..... I don't make up the tax bills !!!!!!!! lol.

Hey Muddy, when you are traveling east to Syracuse you go about 100' or so away from my 'home away from home' which is the fire hall that I am currently chief for which I would say is another 'job'

Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 AM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Yep. Exit 28 in Fonda.

The nephew share the interest in the Blue Oval?
Oh, yes, all Ovals there as well as his Dad (my brother-in-law).

Nephew is dairy farmer so probably doesn't get much time to poke around on-line.

Gramps got us all on board long ago.

"Muddy - You've probably stopped in front of my old house, a dozen times or so. More specifically... On Broadway, at the Union overpass... where all of the accidents happen. You don't happen to be, or know a guy who used to work for ITS in NT do ya?"

Oh yeah, near the firehall. We call that "The Firehall", how clever. Also it is officially named CP 433. No, Never worked for ITS, have a son who is an IT guy in Connecticut at a small hospital.

"Hey Muddy, when you are traveling east to Syracuse you go about 100' or so away from my 'home away from home' which is the fire hall that I am currently chief for which I would say is another 'job'"

Oh yeah? I'll take a look next time I'm through there.
Years ago I delivered Pepsi in the Pal-Mac area for a while.

Everyone, please encourage anyone they know to use extreme caution when near any tracks. A train is big and noisy and can sneak up on you like a wild animal in the night.

Crossing lights and gates are just man-made machines....THEY DO FAIL from time to time. Always be sure the way is clear for you to cross. I can not stop for you once I am close enough to recognize what you are (at normal track speed). It is just impossible to do so and I don't want to hurt anyone.

When you cross the tracks you are entering my place of work, just like entering a store, warehouse, or factory. Respect that fact and follow the rules for your own safety.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master

Everyone, please encourage anyone they know to use extreme caution when near any tracks. A train is big and noisy and can sneak up on you like a wild animal in the night.

Crossing lights and gates are just man-made machines....THEY DO FAIL from time to time. Always be sure the way is clear for you to cross. I can not stop for you once I am close enough to recognize what you are (at normal track speed). It is just impossible to do so and I don't want to hurt anyone.

When you cross the tracks you are entering my place of work, just like entering a store, warehouse, or factory. Respect that fact and follow the rules for your own safety.
and when you cross the tracks, you are breaking the law...we go through annual Railroad Safety Training at DOT and if anyone is working NEAR the tracks, they do also and must notify the railroad...
DOT Safety dude.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:23 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Tell me about it. The crossing bars in Fonda occasionally don't go back up fast enough to suit some people. One woman decided to go around them and was creamed. The news said the bars lifted early, but alot of people saw the bars horizontal. Ripped her car in half and killed her.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Tell me about it. The crossing bars in Fonda occasionally don't go back up fast enough to suit some people. One woman decided to go around them and was creamed. The news said the bars lifted early, but alot of people saw the bars horizontal. Ripped her car in half and killed her.

I am not looking forward to the day........

The old heads say it is just a matter of time before you get one.

They also say not to look at them just before impact.

We have to try to de-personalize it even before it happens...otherwise no one would ever return to work afterward.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:01 AM
gomersinner
Senior User
Look away? How? Something that big is looming on the horizon and they expect you to look away?

Being a former first responder in the military, nothing depersonalizes a life smote.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Jack_99V10
Senior User

"Muddy - You've probably stopped in front of my old house, a dozen times or so. More specifically... On Broadway, at the Union overpass... where all of the accidents happen. You don't happen to be, or know a guy who used to work for ITS in NT do ya?"

Oh yeah, near the firehall. We call that "The Firehall", how clever. Also it is officially named CP 433. No, Never worked for ITS, have a son who is an IT guy in Connecticut at a small hospital.

lol... when I first moved in there about 3 years ago, the trains would wake me up... but then it got to the point that the house would shake almost constantly... and then there is a shift change there or something, where the train will idle there for like an hour or 2... and then when they send the cars down the hill, and they smash into the rest of the line... haha.

I don't miss it at all.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
Bay Shore, Long Island

I work for my friends pressure washing company. we wash trucks. I am going to school for mechanical engineering technology so i will be looking for a job in that area pretty soon.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fast frank 66
Bay Shore, Long Island

I work for my friends pressure washing company. we wash trucks. I am going to school for mechanical engineering technology so i will be looking for a job in that area pretty soon.
what area? upstate?
check out the latest engineering tests for NY State Civil Service.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
MiKeYs 2k DiEsEl 4x4
Junior User
Queens New York and I'm a garboligist...a sanitation engineer....or maybe a garbage man...lol

Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Freakazoid!
Mountain Pass
Just submitted my request to join the NY chapter. I was living in Saratoga for the last 3 years, courtesy of the Navy, I just retired as a Nuke submarine Senior Chief (BTW - it's nice to see a fellow CPO on this thread). I just started work outside Oswego - still in the Nuclear Power business, working on an operator license, but this time as a Civ! My family is still in Saratoga until I close on my house in Pulaski (I hear it occasionally snows out there), so I drive by a lot of those places everybody has listed on the weekends: Utica and Fonda to name a couple. Maybe some of us can cross paths?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Freakazoid!
Just submitted my request to join the NY chapter. I was living in Saratoga for the last 3 years, courtesy of the Navy, I just retired as a Nuke submarine Senior Chief (BTW - it's nice to see a fellow CPO on this thread). I just started work outside Oswego - still in the Nuclear Power business, working on an operator license, but this time as a Civ! My family is still in Saratoga until I close on my house in Pulaski (I hear it occasionally snows out there), so I drive by a lot of those places everybody has listed on the weekends: Utica and Fonda to name a couple. Maybe some of us can cross paths?
sounds like a plan brother...my best friend's cousin's husband is an MMC (nuke type) that left your command a few years back....
OSWEGO? shouldn't you be out shoveling?

Quick Reply: where you live and occupation