bassani high flow Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 05:12 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
bassani high flow Y pipe

JoeB,
Now thats the first idea that makes any real sense out of all this. I can believe that the stock cat has some sort of dual chambered setup. This would explain the larger diameter of the Y-pipe in front of what appears to be a noraml cat. I am going to see the local Ford truck dealer next week for other issues with mine and intend to get a straight answer from someone who knows for certain.....I just remembered this little tidbit too. I didn't order my Street Thunder Bassani system from Bassani directly. I ordered it through a Ford dealer in Houston TX who sold it as an after market exhaust upgrade for Ford trucks. Now what Ford dealer will jeapoardize their Ford affiliation by selling something that would get its customers into legal trouble? Ask the boys at Tommy Vaughn Ford why they would do something like that.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM
christop43
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bassani high flow Y pipe

\ I didn't order my
>Street Thunder Bassani system from Bassani directly. I
>ordered it through a Ford dealer in Houston TX who sold it
>as an after market exhaust upgrade for Ford trucks. Now
>what Ford dealer will jeapoardize their Ford affiliation by
>selling something that would get its customers into legal
>trouble? Ask the boys at Tommy Vaughn Ford why they would
>do something like that.

I think what would be best is to ask a referee station wherever you live. The EPA's Clean Air Act is very strict, and it even covers moving the location of the catalytic converter. www.epa.gov have a looksee and you will see for yourself. I will ask, if it is legal that would be cool. Hey Greystreak, is there much of a sound difference with it on?

Old 01-05-2003, 04:13 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
bassani high flow Y pipe

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Jan-03 AT 05:15 AM (EST)]Tone dropped to a smooth rumble with the complete system. System consisted of their shorty headers and the complete Street Thunder stainless package beind them. Now accelerating, especially onto the highway, it gets louder but not harsher. Decelleration has none of that obnoxious pop and bump you hear from other systems so the change in flow is handled well when the pressure from the headers drops. All in all, I love it and as long as it passes here in MO, I couldn't care much less what the overtly law-abiding may fear.

Not to change the subject but how many who are so concerned with the emmissions laws have run their 91 and later Bronco without the top on it? Now there is a Federal offense for you if you really want to get picky about it. And thats a safety issue. Which is addressed by every state if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:33 AM
christop43
Posting Guru
bassani high flow Y pipe

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Jan-03 AT 05:35 AM (EST)]
Greystreak-
That’s cool that the performance and sound improved. I am sorry if I sounded like a tree-hugger in my posts; I was just trying to "get the word out". Emission laws can be tricky; I guess it all depends on where you live. Anyway I hope that you are right and the Bassani system is legal cause I cut out that second cat on my Bronco and I will need a new cat before my next emission test (March 04), and that bassani system seems like a good way to go. What size pipe does that system come with? Is it a single or dual exit?

Old 01-06-2003, 02:07 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
bassani high flow Y pipe

The Y-pipe starts as two 1.5" down into a 3" and it stays that way all the way through the cat and back with hangers and brackets already welded to mount in the stock locations. Exits as a single 3", well 3.5" if you count the 8" long tip with Bassani embossed in it. The entire thing mounts and follows the exact same path as your stock system did. The difference is tone, response, and the HTQ. Only thing I have had to adjust since getting the system is to roll the tailpipe down about a 1/4" when I added my 4" lift rear springs. The larger diameter pipe was rubbing oh-so-slightly on the end of the helper leaf. Simple fix, loosen the U-bolt at the back of the muffler and rotate the pipe down just a hair.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:46 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bassani high flow Y pipe

I emailed Bassani again. As for Tommy Vaughn putting that system on for you...

"That is the part number listed for the '96 Bronco. It is NOT street legal
in California and most other states. No EO listing. None of our x-pipes or
y-pipes have an EO number." Oh well, looks like this is one mod that I would love to do, but cant due to Mr. EPA.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:32 PM
_superduty_
New User
bassani high flow Y pipe

Cristoph - What kind of dual exhaust set up are you running on your 1990? I have the same year model and same engine and have been debating on a new exhaust system. True duals with a single cat on each with 12"-18" glass paks is they way I am leaning.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Guttshott
New User
I just ordered a set of hedman headers for my '93 F-150 and wonder if any one has any input about the Bassani y-pipe fitting them!!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
NWBronco
Senior User
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
I emailed Bassani again. As for Tommy Vaughn putting that system on for you...

"That is the part number listed for the '96 Bronco. It is NOT street legal
in California and most other states. No EO listing. None of our x-pipes or
y-pipes have an EO number." Oh well, looks like this is one mod that I would love to do, but cant due to Mr. EPA.
It's the OBD-II emissions legacy. 3 O2 sensors, vs. 1 for the OBD-I. You can not really comapre a '92 and a '96. While they look the same and have the same motor/etc. The OBD-II system has at least doulble the sensors that the earlier version. There is of course an exemption, '95 Cali models were OBD-II as well. Same of the pre-cat and cat setups. The last 2 years of the Bronco are tough to get aftermarket (smog certified anyways) based on the OBD-II standards. A lot of folks like the OBD-II. Folks get readers and PCs to link up to them. I liked the EEC-IV (OBD-I) all you needed was a VOM meter to pull the codes.

With the advent to OBD-II, was also MAS fuel injection (versus sequential -bank fire- injectors). So, the MAF came in to play as well. I've got a doc somewhere that outlined the open-loop/closed loop sensor audits for OBD-II versus EEC-IV. It gives me a headache every time I look at it.

So, when you see a vendor stop short on getting you emissions compliant gear for your '95/'96, there is a reason behind it.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Guttshott
I just ordered a set of hedman headers for my '93 F-150 and wonder if any one has any input about the Bassani y-pipe fitting them!!

are the hedman headers shorties or long tube? if they are shorties those hedmans should work fine. you might need the reducers that bassani sells but not sure. you would have to call them. overall this Y pipe is the best you can do unless you go custom.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Guttshott
New User
They are the shorty headers....Do you know which reducers i may need?...Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the reducers are from bassani. they are cheap but if i recall need to be ordered from them. they will know if your headers require those or not.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Guttshott
New User
I'm going to put my headers on this weekend and stick with the stock y-pipe for now..Just hope i can get the manifolds off..(Stupid rusty bolts)....Do the headers need a gasket between them and the y-pipe?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
soak the header bolts for a few days multiple times before attempting to remove them. also use a ratchet this way you can feel if the bolt is not coming out. if you use air you run the risk of breaking a bolt into the head. You shouldnt need any donut at the collector but dont be suprised if your stock Y pipe doesnt fit those headers. some times the stock y can be a tad narrow in comparison to where the collector is. installing both sides loosly and then alternating sides when you tight the y pipe up will help. also dont be afraid to heat up the y pipe some to help get it into position better.
also the stock y is a performance bottle neck, so dont expect a huge gain from the headers alone.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Rebel Warrior
Senior User
Question Does a Y-pipe

Does a Y-Pipe need an E.O. number? as long as it's in stock location or as close as possible, come-on what does it do that is emission related. other than merge the two head pipes into one larger pipe then flow into the converter. I looked at many Y-pipes none of them have an E.O. #. JBA even makes header for that Bronco, Someone once said to me, Its Location,Location,Location. as long as its where it belongs, looks aren't important. I always live by a saying, Sometimes it's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission. HA Good luck -RW

Quick Reply: bassani high flow Y pipe