1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2004 Recall: Improperly formed frame flange

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 05:32 PM
KyThunder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Recall: Improperly formed frame flange

It says that some of the 2004's where recalled about this problem and if it is wrong than they replace your truck. Has anybody had this checked? I recieved 1 recall since I have owned the truck and it was for the transmission fluid additive.
I have received no other recall notice. I was wondering if anybody knows whats going on that way I can look into it further if needed.

Here is the link to the recalls on this site for 2004 Ranger.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/recalls/...y-2004/t-21028

Old 01-28-2007, 04:53 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I heard about this a while back, so I called my dealer. They said if I didn't get a notification letter, then mine wasn't effected.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
Call your local dealership, they will be able to see if your vehicle is part of the recall program.

If it IS recalled, all they will do is inspect the frame. It will either pass or fail. If it passes, they give the vehicle back to you and you're done (it is a quick inspection they will probably do in the service bay.. takes a few seconds).

If it fails, Ford will give you a new truck. Good luck!

Also just so you know, the truck won't FALL APART or anything because of this frame defect... the reason for the recall is because on some the frame was not bent away from the fuel tank, and does not meet federal safety guidelines as a result (in other words, if in a serious accident, the frame could rupture the fuel tank and possibly cause an explosion).

Ford decided it would be more cost effective to just replace the trucks, rather than paying out the dealerships BIG $$$ to replace the frame (let alone customer satisfaction hits). Almost sounds like the SMART way to handle it for a change!

Last edited by MazdaRangerGuyInSTL; 01-28-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Don't know what truck you have but this recall came out shortly after I bought my truck and was working at a dealership. I had a tech check into the recall and it was only on some reg. cab 4x2 models. If you have an extended cab then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 AM
KyThunder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Level2
Don't know what truck you have but this recall came out shortly after I bought my truck and was working at a dealership. I had a tech check into the recall and it was only on some reg. cab 4x2 models. If you have an extended cab then you have nothing to worry about.
its an extended cab. kind of had my hopes up for a new truck for free!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 AM
FXFrank
Junior User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
04B22 All 2004 and Certain 2005 Model Year Vehicles Equipped With 5R55S/5R55E/5R44E Transmissions 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

May 27, 2005

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Update: Supplement Announcement
Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 – Supplement #3:
All 2004 and Certain 2005 Model Year Vehicles Equipped With 5R55S/5R55E/5R44E Transmissions
5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 - Supplement #2 dated April 1, 2005

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 - Supplement #1 dated January 2005

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 dated January 2005

REASON FOR SUPPLEMENT #3

Program Extension:The expiration date for Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 has been extended through December 31, 2005. Owners of affected vehicles will be notified of this extension via mail starting the week of June 1, 2005.

Urgency:The longer the factory fill transmission fluid remains untreated in the transmission, the greater the likelihood that it will adversely affect transmission shift performance and require a much more extensive repair. For this reason, it is very important that the affected vehicles have the transmission additive installed as soon as possible.

In-stock Vehicles:
At this time, only approximately 63% of the affected in-stock vehicle population has been serviced under this program. It is important that dealers continue to service their in-stock vehicles and complete the repairs as soon as possible.

Sold Vehicles:
It is equally important that dealers utilize their FSA VIN list to identify, contact, and encourage customers to schedule appointments to have this service performed as soon as possible.

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect until December 31, 2005 regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 2004 and certain 2005 model year vehicles equipped with 5R55S, 5R55E, or 5R44E transmissions and built between Job #1 2004 through September 22, 2004.

Vehicle Line
Assembly Plant

Explorer (4 Door)
Louisville and St. Louis Assembly Plants

Mountaineer
Louisville and St. Louis Assembly Plants

Explorer Sport Trac
Louisville Assembly Plant

Lincoln Aviator
St. Louis Assembly Plant

Lincoln LS
Wixom Assembly Plant

Thunderbird
Wixom Assembly Plant

Ranger
Edison and Twin Cities Assembly Plants

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information was made available on 01/06/2005.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

The affected vehicles were originally filled with an improperly formulated transmission fluid that, over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements.

SERVICE ACTION

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to install one bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive to each affected vehicle. This will correct the formulation of the transmission fluid and maintain the shift quality of the transmission.

NOTE: It is extremely important that all in-stock vehicles are repaired prior to delivery. This transmission fluid additive will prevent the delayed/harsh reverse engagements on vehicles that do not yet exhibit this condition.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information
Attachment IV: Questions and Answers

Customer Notification Letters

QUESTIONS?
Claims Information: .................................................. .............. 1-800-423-8851
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) Questions: .......... 1-800-325-5621

Copyright © 2005 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department

Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 AM
FXFrank
Junior User
SAFETY RECALL
04S19 DEMONSTRATION/DELIVERY HOLD:
Certain 2004 Model Year Ford Ranger Regular Cab Pickup Trucks - Frame Rail Inspection

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 2004

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION/DELIVERY HOLD - Safety Recall 04S19: Supplement #1
Certain 2004 Model Year Ford Ranger Regular Cab Pickup Trucks
Frame Rail Inspection

RE: DEMONSTRATION/DELIVERY HOLD - Safety Recall 04S19:
Certain 2004 Model Year Ford Ranger Regular Cab Pickup Trucks
Frame Rail Inspection

PURPOSE OF THIS SUPPLEMENT

Advise dealers that Customer Letters will be mailed and available to dealers on July 19, 2004.
Advise dealers that units that do not pass inspection will not be repaired.
Advise dealers to make arrangements to have sold and unsold units that do not pass inspection repurchased by their FCSD Zone Manager through the normal Reacquired Vehicle (RAV) process.
AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2004 model year Ford Ranger regular cab pickup trucks built at the Twin Cites Assembly Plant from June 2, 2004 through June 25, 2004. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com.

REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL

In some of the affected vehicles, it may be possible that the frames on short and long wheel base regular cab models have center rail section flanges that were not formed properly. In the event of a collision, an improperly formed center rail section could potentially puncture the fuel tank, resulting in a fuel leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.

SERVICE ACTION

DO NOT DRIVE, DEMONSTRATE OR DELIVER any of the vehicles involved in this recall until they have been inspected per Attachment III. Vehicles that pass the inspection may be released; if a vehicle does not pass inspection, call the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.

STOCK VEHICLES

Inspect all affected stock vehicles before demonstrating or delivering. Vehicles which pass inspection may be released.
If a dealer stock unit is found to have an improperly formed frame:
The vehicle will not be repaired and cannot be sold to customers.
Contact the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621 to verify the inspection; a digital photo or Ford on-site inspection may be required after calling.
When the Special Service Support Center has verified the inspection, contact your Market Area Team and request to have the vehicle uploaded in RAV-Fast.
Dealers should contact their Service Zone Manager to initiate the process to repurchase the vehicle from Dealer Inventory.
SOLD VEHICLES

Immediately contact any of your affected owners and schedule an inspection date. Inspect other affected vehicles identified in OASIS, which are brought to your dealership.
Owners of affected vehicles will be notified the week of July 19, 2004 and directed to dealers for inspection.
If a customer's vehicle is found to have an improperly formed frame:
Contact the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621 to verify the inspection; a digital photo or Ford on-site inspection may be required after calling.
The vehicle will not be repaired and cannot be returned to the customer.
Dealers should contact their Service Zone Manager to initiate the process to repurchase the vehicle from the customer.
The customer should be placed in a rental vehicle until a suitable replacement vehicle can be obtained.
OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail the week of July 19, 2004. Please note that dealers should inspect any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS?

Claims Information:...................................... ...........................................1-800-423-8851
Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) Questions:...........................1-800-325-5621

Copyright © 2004 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department

Old 01-31-2007, 10:35 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
tagged for followup...

CMOS

Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Man I miss the full access that I had to FMC Dealer!!!! I loved having admin rights to that site. It was handy for looking stuff up and I had all access to OASIS. Oh well...the job sucked LOL.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:35 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
Yes I miss my OASIS access too... I used to love the message boards.. and actually the online testing was a lot of fun too...

I watched the demo video of the crown vic police fire suppresion system about a hundred times! Watching that car jump 4 inches into the air when it went off was just wicked!

Anyways.. I loved the job.. hated the politics.. they let me go 3 days before my one-year anniversary and screwed me out of about $2000.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
FXFrank
Junior User
Fellow parts men I take it, where were you at mazda?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
I was a technician at a local Ford dealer, Lou Fusz Ford. I had full access to fmcdealer.com

They turned it off three days after I was "let go".

I miss getting to "play" with all the new toys. I even got to drive a Ford GT around the parking lot a few times.. what a THRILL that was!!!

The guy who got to work on it got in BIG trouble for using an air impact on the underside panel bolts. He dropped a socket and it took him a couple hours to find it.. we all laughed at him.

Last edited by MazdaRangerGuyInSTL; 02-01-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Level2
Posting Guru
I was the sales manager for the internet sales division at a big dealership in the KC metro area....I left at the 10 month mark because of conflicts with other managers.