Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

work, work, work...

Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your nastiest?

I swear that brush dragging has got to be my least favorite chore. Bucking, limbing and burn-piling... And there's always a couple of snagged branches that WHAP! ya' in the face.

Worse than cleaning moss off the roof or painting, and that's saying some. I ain't even getting paid for this groundskeeper job.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The winds were good! The Forks area got hit real bad. I am a Stihl Technician at Port Angeles Power Equipment, and the generators were going out the door as fast as the saws were comming in.

Glad to hear you own the best RexB...A truck can't be a truck unless it is a FORD, and the only saw is a Stihl. BTW we can make some modified saws that the loggers swear by.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
The winds were good for a chainsaw dealer, but they sure trashed my place!

I like Stihls -- got your mid-sized MS-360 Pro 3.75cid a few years ago and never looked back. It don't bog down, even in trees wider than the bar is long. The chain sharpens better and lasts longer than an Oregon chain, my previous fav. 3/8" chippers on both.

I had a Poulan Farmhand for a while, trying for a good saw at half the price. But the sprockets kept wearing out, it had no guts, and twice the dealer warranty repairs couldn't make it any better.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RexB
The winds were good for a chainsaw dealer, but they sure trashed my place!

I like Stihls -- got your mid-sized MS-360 Pro 3.75cid a few years ago and never looked back. It don't bog down, even in trees wider than the bar is long. The chain sharpens better and lasts longer than an Oregon chain, my previous fav. 3/8" chippers on both.

I had a Poulan Farmhand for a while, trying for a good saw at half the price. But the sprockets kept wearing out, it had no guts, and twice the dealer warranty repairs couldn't make it any better.
The 360 is a good saw, I would not recommend over a 28" bar. The power to work ratio really ages the saw after that. I will assume that you have a rim sprocket...if not, you should get one. A spur sprocket replacement is about $20, and just replacinga rim is about $6.00.

As far as the chain...There is no question. You can tell the difference in how long they cut, and how they sharpen on the grinder. Oregon makes a chains for everyone except Stihl. Yes even the Husky chains are reallly Oregon.

PM me if you have any questions about your saw. I have every parts and service manual for Stihl, not to mention experience about common issues for particular saws.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
I'll take ya' up on the free parts and repair offer if it ever breaks -- you guys really do back up your products! Thanks Mike!
JK
But I'll check with ya' if there's a prob

Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
Got back from down under the first of Feb and now I'm stuck in Odessa TX meeting my new boss, lots of fun. Still trying to finish from the storms. The wife hired 2 clowns while I was out of the country and they did the usual half job because she was a woman. I'm getting the word around on them though after their stuff.

Yea dragging it out of the brush at the house leaves a lot to be desired, and I got about 6 more to cut when I get back.

Been using my friends Stihl and once it gets warmed up it's a good one but I don't know why it's such a hard start cold. I picked up a Echo for agood price and it's been doing real good except for the real big stuff.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Welcome back from the land of beer drinkers -- man can those Aussies put it away. And get up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning. Pissed me off.

Your wife hired brush clearers that didn't clear? Typical. I hired a guy to help me, who lives in a tent in the woods near by. Gave him boots, gloves and a coat to keep the branches and thorns off. Had to keep on him while we were both working at it, he "didn't feel like" working more than 20 minutes at a stretch. He stopped showing up, just do it myself now. Sheesh.

My cold mid-sized Stihl fires up after 10 pulls. Echo and Husqvarna are all good.

G'luck with the new boss from Texas.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eric C.
Got back from down under the first of Feb and now I'm stuck in Odessa TX meeting my new boss, lots of fun. Still trying to finish from the storms. The wife hired 2 clowns while I was out of the country and they did the usual half job because she was a woman. I'm getting the word around on them though after their stuff.

Yea dragging it out of the brush at the house leaves a lot to be desired, and I got about 6 more to cut when I get back.

Been using my friends Stihl and once it gets warmed up it's a good one but I don't know why it's such a hard start cold. I picked up a Echo for agood price and it's been doing real good except for the real big stuff.
Tell your friend he needs to have his Stihl serviced. If your Echo out performs his Stihl, then he has major problems. Not knowing which saw he has, and based on your description of the issue, I would say that he has an oil seal issue...A vaccum test would confirm. Could also be the impulse line,or bad tank vent but less likely.

When you make it back to WA State, let me know! I will hook you up with the very best saw...we can even modify it.

Placermike

Factory Certified Stihl Technician ID#05100606

Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
The boys 'Down Under' can put a few down, but there might be a competition if they got together with a few 'Clampers'

Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
jenkins2
Junior User
I sell stamps at the Coupeville PO! Live for hunting and hopefully will retire in about 3 yrs. Jim

Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Hiya' Jenkins2, good to see another Islander.

I'll hafta' stop in to the stamp counter and say "Hi"; my Ford is parked by Freeland right down the road from you..

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
jenkins2
Junior User
Roger that, REXB! Just ask for Jim. Glad to be aboard. Jim

Old 02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
redhawkssh44
Senior User
I work for the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) at SEA-TAC airport. I have been there for almost 5 years with a 1 year deployment to Kuwait in the middle of it.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redhawkssh44
I work for the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) at SEA-TAC airport. I have been there for almost years with a 1 year deployment to Kuwait in the middle of it.
That has to be a tough job. I know personally that I was very pissed off at all the checks when I flew back east a few months ago. I didn't mind the initial check, but got pissed each time the flight was delayed, went out to have a smoke and had to go through it again. Seems like airports should have a secured smoking area.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 AM
jenkins2
Junior User
Seems like a great reason to quit smoking!! LOL Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: work, work, work...