Sponsored by:

Coolant overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:09 PM
tothfngclw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant overflow tank

I have read on here before where people have found that coolant had run out of the top of the overflow tank. Some suggested using duct tape over the fill hole and other options. I have had this happen a few times recently and tried the duct tape and found that it worked for a little while but after a few weeks I find coolant on top of the tank again. Just wondering what causes this and if anyone else has a fix that lasts. I was thinking that somehow I was getting to much pressure in the coolant system and it was causing it to expand and run over but I have a new cap and the system was flushed and refilled with new coolant in the fall so my thought was the cap should let go first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:02 PM
blownbronco
Senior User
Coolant overflow tank

First off the overflow tank is not under pressure at all. I used to have that same problem, I fabbed up new mounting brackets so the tank sits level, also I don't fill up over the line that indicates full!

Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 AM
tothfngclw
Senior User
Coolant overflow tank

Same here, only fill to cold line but still pushes coolant out through the top. The tank appears level, I will check again when it gets a little warmer out. Temps in the teens here.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:22 PM
BurlyBoy
Freshman User
Coolant overflow tank

Your rad cap might be bad - if its an old one you might want to invest in a new one (cheap).

Old 01-13-2003, 04:32 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coolant overflow tank

I installed a brand new recovery tank (it had a leaky seam), also my radiator, heater core, and cap is new, and it still does it. I cover the hole under the coolant tank cap with aluminum foil, I mold the foil to stick down a lttle bit so it deflects most of the coolant, and it comes up around the top outside edge and snaps under the cap. I STILL get a little bit of coolant around the foil, but it does not get out and run down the tank. I can't believe that it is so hard to stop this. The cap on the tank is not even under pressure and it is a good few inches away from the coolant.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:32 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coolant overflow tank

Either it's slosh, or your cap isn't sealing. Any radiator shop can test it for you.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:48 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Coolant overflow tank

It's just slosh as far as I can tell. Being that the tank is new, I would have to say that the cap is as tight as it's going to get. A lot of people have reported this, even on brand new trucks. It's just one of those things. There is nothing wrong with it, other than Ford's bad engineering, or use of low quality parts; most likely both.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:20 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coolant overflow tank

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-14-03 AT 11:21 PM (EST)]I use a late-model overflow tank and mine NEVER leaks, even though I drive it like it's a 911. (Actually more like a 959 for you Porsche FREAKS! )

Old 01-15-2003, 07:47 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
Coolant overflow tank

I have had my 89 since 91 and have never had this problem. I may be making up for it with other problems though. I don't see how this could be normal. Does FORD say it is normal ?

Old 01-15-2003, 08:36 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Coolant overflow tank

Of course Ford would not admit to it being a problem, but Ford mechanics will tell you that it happens all the time.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:54 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Coolant overflow tank

This dilema must be more common on older models because I have no such problems with my 92 and my overflow resevoir is missing a mounting tab so it bounces around more than most would I imagine.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:27 AM
mbking99
New User
Coolant overflow tank

Hello all,

I have had this problem twice with Ford. Once with a Mustang GT 89
and also with my current 96 Bronco 5.8l. With the Mustang I ended up replacing everything from the radiator to the water pump to the cap etc. Still with the same problem of coolant overflowing and 1300 hundred dallars less in my packet and at the Ford dealership it turned out to be the head gasket. Now with my bronco doing the exact same thing and not overheating I would suggest doing first a cooling system pressure test to look for leaks. Look at hoses, caps, oil cooler if you have one and look around the water pump gasket and both sides of the heads for leaks. I would also do a compression test. Use the gauge that is threaded rather than the one you just hold in the spark plug hold. You will get much better results. Its better to find out now than later when you have oil in your coolant overflow like I do now. I love Broncos but tired of Ford engineering and this will be my last Ford. I have had 3. Ford needs to put out better quality.

Regards,
Mike

Old 01-17-2003, 12:42 PM
BurlyBoy
Freshman User
Coolant overflow tank

Ha ha. I think that if you subscribe to any other forums (chev, dodge, etc.) I will bet you that you'll find that the same comments are made about those brands too...

Old 01-17-2003, 02:30 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Coolant overflow tank

I don't want to start anything here, but I have had more problems with Ford trucks manufactured after the 1980's than any other vehicle. My 1966 and 1972 F100's were bulletproof. But two clean used Ford trucks, and one new one, have had way more problems than comparable GM and Mopar vehicles. During the 1990's, I purchased three brand new trucks, one each from GM, Dodge, and Ford, My 1995 F150 needed far more warranty repairs needed than the other two combined. A clean used 1988 Ranger, purchased in 1992 with 78K, needed an engine at 88k. And you all know about my Bronco. I will not be buying any more Fords after this Bronco, except maybe a 1960's F100.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:03 PM
brokenbronco484
Freshman User
Coolant overflow tank

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow tank