Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lift kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 PM
99powerstrokeSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kit ?

I am in the process of picking out the right lift kit for my 99 SD. Keep in mind that I will be installing this kit myself. I am going to get a 3 - 6 inch lift. Whicj kit do I need. Some come with pitman arms others come with sway bar links, others come with new shocks and others do not. Some also come with new springs. Help me sort all of this crap out! Any advise on what parts are needed and which parts are not.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you want to keep your same ride you have now? If you want to do that, you can use a spring hanger system to extend the mounting points for the springs down, and keep the same ones. Donahoe makes a 4.5" spring hanger kit and 5" block for a nice 4.5" lift. Couple that with a set of Bilsteins and you have a great ride. That and a leveling kit is what i had on my truck, but i had to take it off because it's illegal in MD. If you are interested PM me. However Yes most "kits" include everything you need to do the install. You can do a spring kit, most spring kits in that range are 4 or 6". I think that the worst ride has to be Procomp, and the best is by far, Deaver springs marketed by Donahoe Racing. DR's stuff is over-the-top-good, it is more expensive than most of the stuff out there, but it is by far the best in my opinion. What tire size do you want to run?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
Hey Strokin, You had a lift and a level kit on your truck.
I have been wanting to do the same, did you have to get longer shocks. It would seem I would have to but I have been told otherwise.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Yes my lift kit is in the classifieds section, or PM me. The shocks are included, and they are capable for 4-6" lift. Bilstein 5100. I am running the stock-height bilsteins now.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
i put longer shocks on my 4 in. kit.
your really pushing the stock shocks with a 4 in. there is almost no extension on them at that point.
a good set of bilstien 5150 would do it.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:43 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
Originally Posted by 99powerstrokeSD
I am in the process of picking out the right lift kit for my 99 SD. Keep in mind that I will be installing this kit myself. I am going to get a 3 - 6 inch lift. Whicj kit do I need. Some come with pitman arms others come with sway bar links, others come with new shocks and others do not. Some also come with new springs. Help me sort all of this crap out! Any advise on what parts are needed and which parts are not.
donahoe racing is the only way to go
the 4.5 hanger kit would be good, though i hear instalation isnt as easy as bolting on a new set of leafs. most of donahoes kits come with bilstein shocks, adjustable pan rod bar (pain in the a$$ to take off) dropped steering arm and dropped sway bar links, its a killer kit

Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
I have a 4 inch lift with shocks. What I was asking is if I put a 2.5" leveling kit on would I have to get a longer shock? Sorry I didnt clarify its been a long day

Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
are they the stock length, in they are for the 4 to 6 in. lift, they should work fine.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
I dont think they are the same length as the stock ones. I think they are a little bit longer. I do some offroading but nothing crazy. I just want it to sit a little taller.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
well, take some tape and mark the shock shaft, then jack up the front untill they bottow out, and that should tell you if your lev. kit will work.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
meant to add measure the distance between the tape and the shock tube.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:00 AM
travis dasher
Senior User
Thanks Bigtorque and Strokin_it7.3.

Didnt mean to hijack your thread 99powerstrokeSD.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Travis Dasher, do you have a 4" spring lift? If so, a 2.5" leveling kit will not work, unless it is the undesired "add-a-leaf" style which will still be a pain. However the 2.5" spring leveling kit and 4.5" spring hanger is what you see above.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
What is the legal issue in your state Kris?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Do you want to keep your same ride you have now? If you want to do that, you can use a spring hanger system to extend the mounting points for the springs down, and keep the same ones. Donahoe makes a 4.5" spring hanger kit and 5" block for a nice 4.5" lift. Couple that with a set of Bilsteins and you have a great ride. That and a leveling kit is what i had on my truck, but i had to take it off because it's illegal in MD. If you are interested PM me. However Yes most "kits" include everything you need to do the install. You can do a spring kit, most spring kits in that range are 4 or 6". I think that the worst ride has to be Procomp, and the best is by far, Deaver springs marketed by Donahoe Racing. DR's stuff is over-the-top-good, it is more expensive than most of the stuff out there, but it is by far the best in my opinion. What tire size do you want to run?
I thought your truck was on the road? I know you can't pass inspection with any suspension mods and you need the stock tire size. If you need to "borrow" some parts to pass I can help you out.

Quick Reply: Lift kit ?